The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Neostigmine
Your next step: Eligibility Forms

What is this?
A form you'll be sent by the uni asking for evidence to support your widening access status

How will they send it?
It used to be mailed but recently they've moved to emailing it.

What is my widening access status?
You need to prove you meet 3 or more of the criteria listed below:

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Young people looked after by a Local Authority

In receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

In receipt of free school meals at any point in Years 10-13

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

When will I get it?
December if last year is anything to go by.

What evidence do I need?
This varies with what critria you meet.

Will I be more likely to get a place if I meet more than 3 criteria?
No.

How can I prove I live in an area of deprivation?
You don't need to prove this one. They have a way to check it but if you google "area of deprivation" there are methods of checking it yourself if you're curious. These are complicated though and the result is not guarunteed to match what the uni thinks.

How can I prove first generation to higher educaton?
This seems to be done on a trust basis and requires no formal proof.

I'll update this with FAQs as I thinkk of them!

For the first gen in education, what if someone were to lie just to meet the criteria and be eligible? Would they not have a way to know if they're telling the truth or not?

Also, what qualifies as means tested benefits?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Darab_1496
For the first gen in education, what if someone were to lie just to meet the criteria and be eligible? Would they not have a way to know if they're telling the truth or not?

Also, what qualifies as means tested benefits?

Someone could lie yes. They may well have ways to check, but not in a way that requires any action on your part. If at any point in the course the university found out (perhaps through student finance etc) that you had lied, you'd almost certainly be removed from the program.

Means tested benefits are exactly what they say. They will look at each benefit submitted by students and decide if it counts. I'm sure I've seen a list somewhere so I'll have a root around.
Reply 342
Hi guys, is there anything specific they look for in our personal statements?
Original post by Ah10
Hi guys, is there anything specific they look for in our personal statements?

They want to see that you:

Are self-motivated and resilient

Have reflected on and learnt from life experiences (this may include, work experience, paid employment and personal experiences both in and outside health and socialcare settings)

Can communicate effectively

Are able to interact successfully with others

Can demonstrate an understanding of the values of the NHS constitution

I receive a form on means-tested benefit currently (child tax credit) but does it matter that it will have ended by the end of this month??
Original post by Ladymusiclover
I receive a form on means-tested benefit currently (child tax credit) but does it matter that it will have ended by the end of this month??

It should be an ongoing means tested benefit so it will depend on the evidence they require. If in december theyre asking for evidence from last month, youll have a probem.

Give them a call and ask.
Got my Southampton email today saying they've received my application
Being optimistic rn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys you know when you input your choices with Pearson, did the page just stay there or did it give you a confirmation message? Cos mine hasn't changed :s-smilie:
Original post by yung7up
Hey guys you know when you input your choices with Pearson, did the page just stay there or did it give you a confirmation message? Cos mine hasn't changed :s-smilie:

You don't get a confirmation email but once you've saved your changes the next time you long in it should have the ukcat unis that you applied for up there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
You don't get a confirmation email but once you've saved your changes the next time you long in it should have the ukcat unis that you applied for up there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah my unis are there when i log in so it should be fine. Thanks!!
I wonder how many people applied 😟😟

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98
I wonder how many people applied 😟😟

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dunno, I feel like not a lot or it may be the opposite of what I'm thinking, haha!
I feel like not a lot of people applied.
Only time will tell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
I dunno, I feel like not a lot or it may be the opposite of what I'm thinking, haha!
I feel like not a lot of people applied.
Only time will tell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot more than Nottingham A108, and I do feel lots of people have applied but someone has to get those 40 offers so it could be us

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I've already applied to this course. But I know we are meant to sent a documented proof of 3 of the eligibilty criteria, however I have not yet done this. My question is, how do we send it off, when do we send it off?????? Please give links to the 'eligibility form' if you can:smile:
Original post by f.loco
Hi guys,

I've already applied to this course. But I know we are meant to sent a documented proof of 3 of the eligibilty criteria, however I have not yet done this. My question is, how do we send it off, when do we send it off?????? Please give links to the 'eligibility form' if you can:smile:

The university send it to you around December times, either by post or email.
Original post by Neostigmine
Your next step: Eligibility Forms

What is this?
A form you'll be sent by the uni asking for evidence to support your widening access status

How will they send it?
It used to be mailed but recently they've moved to emailing it.

What is my widening access status?
You need to prove you meet 3 or more of the criteria listed below:

First generation applicant to higher education

Parents, guardian or self in receipt of a means-tested benefit

Young people looked after by a Local Authority

In receipt of a 16-19 bursary or similar grant

In receipt of free school meals at any point in Years 10-13

Living in an area with a postcode which falls within the lowest 20 per cent of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (authenticated by the University), or a member of a travelling family

When will I get it?
December if last year is anything to go by.

What evidence do I need?
This varies with what critria you meet.

Will I be more likely to get a place if I meet more than 3 criteria?
No.

How can I prove I live in an area of deprivation?
You don't need to prove this one. They have a way to check it but if you google "area of deprivation" there are methods of checking it yourself if you're curious. These are complicated though and the result is not guarunteed to match what the uni thinks.

How can I prove first generation to higher educaton?
This seems to be done on a trust basis and requires no formal proof.

I'll update this with FAQs as I thinkk of them!

F
My post from yesterday
Does anyone know what types of means-tested benefits there are?
Reply 357
I saved the details but my ukcat account doesn't list my unis?
Original post by drjay24
I saved the details but my ukcat account doesn't list my unis?

When did you save? Must've been done by the 16th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 359
I saved it on the 12th/13th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending