The Student Room Group

PS and Reapplying after failing first year

hi, had a few questions:

1) Can I use bits of my previous personal statement for my new one? Obviously its not gonna be the same im gonna mention what i did but I only left uni in september so its not much.
Also, as im reapplying should i write about my a level subjects and what i enjoyed etc esp since its been 2 years?

Also, would it be worth mentioning that after a year of uni i decided to take a year out before returning to studies? I intend on mentioning that im studying AS subjects(as they are part of entry requirements) and also working and building on my skills and experience so show that im not just sitting at home
Reply 1
Original post by Econ1906
hi, had a few questions:

1) Can I use bits of my previous personal statement for my new one? Obviously its not gonna be the same im gonna mention what i did but I only left uni in september so its not much.
Also, as im reapplying should i write about my a level subjects and what i enjoyed etc esp since its been 2 years?

Also, would it be worth mentioning that after a year of uni i decided to take a year out before returning to studies? I intend on mentioning that im studying AS subjects(as they are part of entry requirements) and also working and building on my skills and experience so show that im not just sitting at home

You can reuse bits of your old statement, but you will have done things this past year ti write about so try not to copy too much.

Writing about A Levels is generally pointless. Most applicants write something like "maths give me maths skills" which doesn't even need mentioning. For other well known combinations (eg maths helping physics, or English helping an essay subject) then anything you can say the admissions tutor will already know - and will have already read twenty times that day. For any bizarre combinations, you'll end up saying that dance helps your law application as you can do interpretive dance for non native English speakers - which is a load of rubbish.

If you failed your first year then you must include that in your education section. If you then took an additional year out, you can mention gap year plans in your PS, but you can't try to claim that the failed year was the gap year. Unis have ways of knowing that you went to uni before, so will find out.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You can reuse bits of your old statement, but you will have done things this past year ti write about so try not to copy too much.

Writing about A Levels is generally pointless. Most applicants write something like "maths give me maths skills" which doesn't even need mentioning. For other well known combinations (eg maths helping physics, or English helping an essay subject) then anything you can say the admissions tutor will already know - and will have already read twenty times that day. For any bizarre combinations, you'll end up saying that dance helps your law application as you can do interpretive dance for non native English speakers - which is a load of rubbish.

If you failed your first year then you must include that in your education section. If you then took an additional year out, you can mention gap year plans in your PS, but you can't try to claim that the failed year was the gap year. Unis have ways of knowing that you went to uni before, so will find out.

Thanks for ur reply
So how would I mention the failed year? Cause I was thinking along the lines of 'following a year of bsc economics I decided to take a year out to build on my experiences before reapplying to university'
Also I did a lot of things whilst at uni eg employability projects volunteering but I'm not sure whether to include it or not wat do u think?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Econ1906
Thanks for ur reply
So how would I mention the failed year? Cause I was thinking along the lines of 'following a year of bsc economics I decided to take a year out to build on my experiences before reapplying to university'
Is that ok?

Your example doesn't say anything useful. What does "build on my experiences" mean? It sounds good but it ultimately pointless.

If you're reapplying for the same course, you could mention topics you enjoyed, or any specific things you learnt. You could touch on study skills, or other things you learnt or improved. But you need to be specific.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending