The Student Room Group

calculating mass

"calculate the mass of lithium that the student could add to an excess volume of water if they with to produce 250cm3 of hydrogen gas in a gas syringe.

2Li + 2H2O 2LiOH + H2"

any help please??
Reply 1
Original post by tomlfc
"calculate the mass of lithium that the student could add to an excess volume of water if they with to produce 250cm3 of hydrogen gas in a gas syringe.

2Li + 2H2O 2LiOH + H2"

any help please??

How have you attempted the question so far? Show us your workings, if you have any :yep:

Have a think about molar ratios and work out how many moles of Hydrogen would occupy that volume of gas :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
How have you attempted the question so far? Show us your workings, if you have any :yep:

Have a think about molar ratios and work out how many moles of Hydrogen would occupy that volume of gas :smile:

i don't know where to start, the wording of questions just throws me
Reply 4
Original post by tomlfc
i don't know where to start, the wording of questions just throws me

Think of it worded a different way, e.g. "What's the mass of Li needed to produce 250cm^3 of H2 gas in the following equation?"

Have you tried what I suggested? :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Neuth
Think of it worded a different way, e.g. "What's the mass of Li needed to produce 250cm^3 of H2 gas in the following equation?"

Have you tried what I suggested? :h:

its 2:1?
Reply 6
Original post by tomlfc
its 2:1?

Indeed, and how many moles of Hydrogen would occupy that volume of gas?
Reply 7
Original post by Neuth
Indeed, and how many moles of Hydrogen would occupy that volume of gas?

2?
Reply 8
Original post by tomlfc
2?

No...

v (in cm^3) = n x 24000.

Try again by rearranging the equation and inputting the information you know :h:
Reply 9
Original post by Neuth
No...

v (in cm^3) = n x 24000.

Try again by rearranging the equation and inputting the information you know :h:

originally i got 0.416 moles an then i didnt know where to go from there with it, id done 250/24
Reply 10
Original post by tomlfc
originally i got 0.416 moles an then i didnt know where to go from there with it, id done 250/24

250/24 would have been correct if the volume was 250dm^3, not cm^3.

250/24000 = 0.0104

Now you know the number of moles of Hydrogen gas produced, what else do you know? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Neuth
250/24 would have been correct if the volume was 250dm^3, not cm^3.

250/24000 = 0.0104

Now you know the number of moles of Hydrogen gas produced, what else do you know? :smile:

something to do with the ratio being 2:1?
Reply 12
Original post by tomlfc
something to do with the ratio being 2:1?

Yes :h:

If you know that 0.0104 are produced, you know that there will be double this amount of Lithium in the first place.

How much would that weigh?
Reply 13
Original post by Neuth
Yes :h:

If you know that 0.0104 are produced, you know that there will be double this amount of Lithium in the first place.

How much would that weigh?

do you double the moles or just the mr when finding the mass? so 0.0104 x 13.9?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest