The Student Room Group

What is the point of modelling?

Recently I've been posing for a friend who asked me apart of her photography degree.

I agreed to do it, went in the photography studios. A lot of them said I should become a model as a career. I said its a pointless career that anyone can do it, I said I don't get why people get paid for people to take photos of them.

Its nice to have good photos of myself but as a job I don't get it, it was easy I don't understand the reward and how it will help others. Why would someone actually care about the photos unless its for social reasons. I was told that there people who actually buy photos mainly men of women, why would buy a random photo of someone. its all pointless to me

Does anyone else agree with me? what do you think?
First of all, most jobs are incredibly easy, so I don't know why modelling gets stick. Secondly, unless you're one of those "plus size" models, if you want to be a supermodel you've got to do a lot of fitness work and you've gotta eat right. You also have to work hard to get your name out there and build up contacts.

Companies use models to advertise clothes or a whole host of products, or they have magazines such as Playboy where the models are appreciated for their physique.
It helps to quantify and describe the behaviour of things which are not certain or known.

Oh wait, wrong type of modelling :/
Original post by KingBradly
First of all, most jobs are incredibly easy, so I don't know why modelling gets stick. Secondly, unless you're one of those "plus size" models, if you want to be a supermodel you've got to do a lot of fitness work and you've gotta eat right. You also have to work hard to get your name out there and build up contacts.

Companies use models to advertise clothes or a whole host of products, or they have magazines such as Playboy where the models are appreciated for their physique.

Yeah but modelling isn't a skill. Someone who looks good to one person looks bad to another so I don't think it matters, its down to personal preference.
Why does a job have to help others to be meaningful?

It is a job, it pays money.
For fashion modelling isn't the point to sell clothes/makeup/bags/other fashion products?
Original post by LonelyDemon
Yeah but modelling isn't a skill. Someone who looks good to one person looks bad to another so I don't think it matters, its down to personal preference.

That's like saying that because some music is appealing to one person but isn't appealing to another, it's not a skill.
Original post by KingBradly
That's like saying that because some music is appealing to one person but isn't appealing to another, it's not a skill.

Some people are really good at maths, some people are really goodlooking.

You might find a top mathematician who works as a data analyst who thinks his job is easy, just like being a model is hard if you lack the face and body for it.
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Some people are really good at maths, some people are really goodlooking.

You might find a top mathematician who works as a data analyst who thinks his job is easy, just like being a model is hard if you lack the face and body for it.

Exactly.
It pays well if you become successful and if you are scouted for it, I am guessing you would find it a relatively easy full/ part-time job. Although, fashion weeks etc. must be exhausting

Quick Reply

Latest