The Student Room Group

need help with this nasty MATHS question !!!!

this question has just totally confused me - pls help !

the points P, Q and R on the curve with equation y=1-x^3 have the x- coordinates 2, -1, and -2. the curve crosses the x axis at S. Find the gradient of the curve at P, Q, R and S.
you need to find the gradient function and then put in suitable x values.
Reply 2
1. Substitute the x valuse for each component of the coordinate in your function, to find the y values of the points.
2. Use m=y2-y1/x2-x1

An alternative way to solve this, is to differentiate and plug in values...
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I'd differentiate and substitute in the x-values to find the answer. Using m=y2-y1/x2-x1 normally only works for straight lines.

Here's the image at full resolution:
host images

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nikhiltikare
Yeah I'd differentiate and substitute in the x-values to find the answer. Using m=y2-y1/x2-x1 normally only works for straight lines.

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK YOU GUYS SO SO SO SO MUCH !!!!! really appreciate it, but would that mean that pqr and s all have different gradients and cannot have one ???
Yes they have different gradients, it's a x^3 curve so therefore it has 2 turning points. If it was a straight line (y = 1-x) then it'd only have 1 gradient.

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by nikhiltikare
Yes they have different gradients, it's a x^3 curve so therefore it has 2 turning points. If it was a straight line (y = 1-x) then it'd only have 1 gradient.

:smile:

thank you so much!!
Yeah no worries :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest