The Student Room Group

Work based training - where to put on UCAS? Urgent.

//
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Hi, I've almost finalized my Personal Statement but I'm 4 lines over the limit. If I can take out some waffle about relevant training courses this will cut it down to what it needs to be. However, I don't know how/where else to put this info. I'm applying for a life science course and I want to mention that I've just qualified in emergency first aid and manual handling (patients). BUT, it wasn't via a college, it was through a provider through my employer and I don't get grades from them.

Do I leave it in the PS or is this info for the education section, if so - how to do you put it in?

Thanks!!

You could ask your referee (in this case your employer) to mention it. :smile: That's what I did with some of my volunteer work that I just couldn't fit in. Turns out I could have fitted it in if I hadn't wasted five lines on putting in paragraphs. :/

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi, I've almost finalized my Personal Statement but I'm 4 lines over the limit. If I can take out some waffle about relevant training courses this will cut it down to what it needs to be. However, I don't know how/where else to put this info. I'm applying for a life science course and I want to mention that I've just qualified in emergency first aid and manual handling (patients). BUT, it wasn't via a college, it was through a provider through my employer and I don't get grades from them.

Do I leave it in the PS or is this info for the education section, if so - how to do you put it in?

Thanks!!
These courses won't be especially relevant for a life science course as such - but would be if you are applying for a vocational/healthcare course. There will be other things you can edit out of your PS if the latter applies. They could go in the education section only if they are national qualifications with certificates provided, which from what you say is not the case.

Original post by Hydeman
You could ask your referee (in this case your employer) to mention it. :smile: That's what I did with some of my volunteer work that I just couldn't fit in. Turns out I could have fitted it in if I hadn't wasted five lines on putting in paragraphs. :/

Good luck. :smile:
Five lines sounds like a lot, but you would have needed at least three :smile:
Original post by Minerva
Five lines sounds like a lot, but you would have needed at least three :smile:

Yeah, it's pretty depressing. Especially after I found out from somebody that Bristol, the most personal statement-heavy university when it comes to medicine, has a filter that removes all lines. And there's more stuff I could have mentioned, which is frustrating. Oh well, it's done now. :smile: We'll have to see what happens.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
Yeah, it's pretty depressing. Especially after I found out from somebody that Bristol, the most personal statement-heavy university when it comes to medicine, has a filter that removes all lines. And there's more stuff I could have mentioned, which is frustrating. Oh well, it's done now. :smile: We'll have to see what happens.
I really wouldn't worry - nobody's application rises or falls entirely on the basis of the PS.
I'm not using my employer as my reference, I'm getting a reference from a tutor from my previous degree. I haven't seen them for 3 years but they're best placed to comment on my academic abilities. I've only worked at my current job for 3 months and they don't know me at all or that I plan on leaving for uni.

Oh, in that case ask your tutor to include it. :smile:
Reply 6
No idea why I wrote 'life science', probably since I'm currently studying an OU life science course. The degree I'm applying for is a healthcare/NHS course.
In that case ideally you need to turf something else out of your PS to accommodate the information about your in-service training. It can be done :smile:

I'm not using my employer as my reference, I'm getting a reference from a tutor from my previous degree. I haven't seen them for 3 years but they're best placed to comment on my academic abilities. I've only worked at my current job for 3 months and they don't know me at all or that I plan on leaving for uni.
That's good thinking - the unis will be most interested in your academic achievements and three years should be OK.
Reply 7
Thanks, I gave myself a break from it for 20 minutes and went back to it. I've included it without saying ''I have done X training at with Y company and learnt A,B,C'' and instead worked it into scenarios I've dealt with which I used my training cope with. More subtle I guess, but flows better than listing what I've trained in.
That sounds perfect. Well done:smile:

As for my reference, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they actually agree to provide one and hopefully they don't mind the fact that I asked them for an MA reference 2 years ago and then decided on this career move instead.
I'm sure they won't. People's plans change for all sorts of reasons. If all else fails, you could ask your OU tutor.
Reply 8
So I'm trying to apply for a Medical Pharmacology Degree at uni but after MONTHS of looking for work experience nowhere will accept me bc I'm under 18! I was wondering if me being a full-time carer for my severely disabled younger brother would help my application instead of the work experience???? Should I mention it or would they not care??
Reply 9
Original post by SophieAS
So I'm trying to apply for a Medical Pharmacology Degree at uni but after MONTHS of looking for work experience nowhere will accept me bc I'm under 18! I was wondering if me being a full-time carer for my severely disabled younger brother would help my application instead of the work experience???? Should I mention it or would they not care??
Ask your referee to mention it in your reference. Do the unis you are applying to ask for work experience for the medical pharmacology course? it would be unusual for this to be 'make or break'.
Ok thanks I hope it will not be bc IM predicted over the min grades?? Hoping that will help
Original post by Minerva
Ask your referee to mention it in your reference. Do the unis you are applying to ask for work experience for the medical pharmacology course? it would be unusual for this to be 'make or break'.

Yeah ok thanks I was able to fit in my PS that I was awaiting confirmation. Im hoping that it wont be make or break anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending