The Student Room Group

How do people make friends if they're commuting to uni?

Im scared i wont make real friends. You only go in for lectures and seminars which is a hard place to make friends since you really just go in and out. If anybody here commutes, how did YOU make friends? Was it hard? Did it take long. Im currently in year 13 btw and just curious about uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabrinaa1234
Im scared i wont make real friends. You only go in for lectures and seminars which is a hard place to make friends since you really just go in and out. If anybody here commutes, how did YOU make friends? Was it hard? Did it take long. Im currently in year 13 btw and just curious about uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in my first year, started about 3 weeks ago, and I commute. I, like you was worried I wont make friends because I'm commuting. there is nothing to worry about, you can join a society, I joined loads but didn't turn up to any of them:biggrin:.

Also, during seminars your working in groups so its easy to talk to people of your course and make friends with them.

There will be gaps between some lectures and seminars so it will be pointless going home then coming back so just hang out with people who you were sitting next to or taking to. You could start off with something like, 'did you understand a word of that', to ' this isn't as bad as I thought', to get a conversation going.

Introduce yourself to everyone you meet, you wont remember their names and they wont remember yours to start of with but it helps break the ice, you are all going to be in the same boat regardless of where you live.

Ask where they came from and if this was their first choice, it doesn't matter its all part of the process of making new friends.

Even if your not the talkative type don't worry if someone's bored they'll probably come and start talking to you, I had people talk to me on the bus who I'm not likely to see again.

Remember you have 3 years to make good friends.

hope this helps and feel free to ask me about anything else about my uni experience:smile:

I've made some great friends and some which probably wont last till Christmas. lecturers nearly always turn up late so there is always a chance for you to talk to someone.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest