The Student Room Group

Teachers wont give me my predicted grades!

I'm applying to 2 courses with the entry requirements of ABB but my teachers will only predict me BBC. Will I loose out on my offer? someone told me if you don't get your predicted grades right they automatically refuse your entry, is this true? I'm so stressed right now I don't know what to do heelpppjepcjdwcd

Scroll to see replies

I've heard different things tbh so I'm not sure if they will refuse, what course are you applying for? is it oversubscribed ? if not then they might let you in to fill it up ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nayana71
I'm applying to 2 courses with the entry requirements of ABB but my teachers will only predict me BBC. Will I loose out on my offer? someone told me if you don't get your predicted grades right they automatically refuse your entry, is this true? I'm so stressed right now I don't know what to do heelpppjepcjdwcd

What grades and overall UMS percentage did you get at AS for each subject?
Reply 3
Original post by OrionMusicNet
What grades and overall UMS percentage did you get at AS for each subject?

I got CCC .. what's weird is that on every paper for unit 2 I got an A but for unit 1 I got all D's so it averaged out to a C :frown: I'm retaking all the D grades.

Quite frankly, CCC to ABB is a bit of a stretch and not very realistic, so BBC is quite generous of your teacher. There's no point applying for ABB unis, you're very likely to be rejected considering most of the people applying will have higher AS and predicted grades than you. If you want to maximise your chances of receiving offers then at the most, you should apply for one uni asking for BBB
Original post by cherryred90s
Quite frankly, CCC to ABB is a bit of a stretch and not very realistic, so BBC is quite generous of your teacher. There's no point applying for ABB unis, you're very likely to be rejected considering most of the people applying will have higher AS and predicted grades than you. If you want to maximise your chances of receiving offers then at the most, you should apply for one uni asking for BBB

Agreed, CCC at As is too low for anything more than BBB.
If you think you can get ABB then clearing if possible, adjustment or take a gap year.
Reply 6
Original post by whydoidothis?
Agreed, CCC at As is too low for anything more than BBB.
If you think you can get ABB then clearing if possible, adjustment or take a gap year.

But it is possible, I know quite a few people who got predicted very good grades with poor AS grades and still got accepted, My sister was predicted AAB with average AS grades and she got onto a course for AAB! with BCCD! She had an interview and she really impresses them ( the head of her department even asked for her email) so it depends on the applicant, their personal statement/interview etc. so I think I do stand a chance, even if I apply to just one university with ABB
(edited 8 years ago)
Teachers predict sensibly. Despite what you may think they don't do it out of spite. Clearly they think you will only get these grades. To predict you a grade higher in two subject is, in their eyes, unrealistic - and remember when you don't get ABB in August, will lead only to tears and misery when you realise you have no University place to go to.

You really DO have to be realistic about this. With predictions of BBC, aiming at anything asking for an A grade is a total waste of time. BBB will be your top whack.

If you are so certain of getting way above that, then don't apply to Uni this year. Work your butt off to prove those teachers wrong and apply next year with known grades. Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni straight from school.

Lots more TSR advice on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections

Admissions at the relevant universities will be able to tell you whether you would have an auto rejection for your chosen course - just email/ring them. Saves a wasted choice....
Reply 9
My maths teacher initially predicted me a C for maths and i was massievly pissed. But long story short i gave her an offer she couldnt refuse. And all went well and i got my A predicted grade from her.
Original post by Holmstock
Admissions at the relevant universities will be able to tell you whether you would have an auto rejection for your chosen course - just email/ring them. Saves a wasted choice....

Anywhere asking for an A grade doesn't ask it for fun, so no Admissions staff will ever tell you 'its okay, apply anyway' with grades way below the requirement.

Applying to ABB courses with a BBB prediction and a strong PS is possible, but with a C grade is just plain silly.

Yes, you will hear all sorts of stories like 'my best friend's cousin's hamster got into XXX with three Cs and a Brownie badge', but the reality is actually not like that. One grade below in one subject might get an offer, but beyond that, its a waste of everybody's time, including yours.
Original post by returnmigrant
Teachers predict sensibly. Despite what you may think they don't do it out of spite. Clearly they think you will only get these grades. To predict you a grade higher in two subject is, in their eyes, unrealistic - and remember when you don't get ABB in August, will lead only to tears and misery when you realise you have no University place to go to.

You really DO have to be realistic about this. With predictions of BBC, aiming at anything asking for an A grade is a total waste of time. BBB will be your top whack.

If you are so certain of getting way above that, then don't apply to Uni this year. Work your butt off to prove those teachers wrong and apply next year with known grades. Nowhere is it written that you can only go to Uni straight from school.

Lots more TSR advice on How to Avoid 5 Rejections here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections

what will you do in a gap year though
Original post by Sayless
what will you do in a gap year though

Get some life experience.
Original post by saeed97
My maths teacher initially predicted me a C for maths and i was massievly pissed. But long story short i gave her an offer she couldnt refuse. And all went well and i got my A predicted grade from her.

But - will you actually GET an A grade in August?

If you don't then the entire argument was a total waste of time wasn't it.
Get some life experience.

what is the chance you can still get into a good uni with low predicted grades but high actual grades through adjustments, i dont want to do nothing for a year
Original post by Sayless
what is the chance you can still get into a good uni with low predicted grades but high actual grades through adjustments, i dont want to do nothing for a year

Getting life experience does not equal doing nothing.
Many good unis don't do adjustment and even if they do, it doesn't mean your course will be in adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sayless

IF a course is in Adjustment (not all will be, especially A grade courses) then predictions are irrelevant, they will only be interested in achieved grades.

But - do you really want to go a Uni you havn't seen, have booked no accommodation at and have that panicky ring-round to grab a place? When you could wait 12 months and do it calmly with a bit more sensible reflection? Going to Uni is not a race.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Getting life experience does not equal doing nothing.
Many good unis don't do adjustment and even if they do, it doesn't mean your course will be in adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It does for me i just want to go to uni and live my life independently and freely as fast as i can. I'll have a look further into adjustment to find out what courses they actually offer
Anywhere asking for an A grade doesn't ask it for fun, so no Admissions staff will ever tell you 'its okay, apply anyway' with grades way below the requirement.

Applying to ABB courses with a BBB prediction and a strong PS is possible, but with a C grade is just plain silly.

Yes, you will hear all sorts of stories like 'my best friend's cousin's hamster got into XXX with three Cs and a Brownie badge', but the reality is actually not like that. One grade below in one subject might get an offer, but beyond that, its a waste of everybody's time, including yours.

Batman copy.jpg
Original post by Sayless
I'll have a look further into adjustment to find out what courses they actually offer

No Uni will know until August.

Think about it. It depends on how many other applicants fulfill their offers and how many places are then available.
If Unis could predict this in advance there would be no need for Clearing either.

Wake up.

Quick Reply

Latest