The Student Room Group

Being a twin...

Sometimes it just feels like my life is one big competition.
I love my twin, but everything to him is just a competition-getting the best grades, having the most money, being the most successful. It just gets tiresome time to time.
Similar experiences? comments, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you identical?
Reply 2
Original post by Oh ooo
Are you identical?

No. I am a female, he's male. I forget the name of these kind of twins...
Reply 3
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Fraternal twins :smile:

Yes, I feel the competition withy siblings constantly which gets tiresome.

Ah, yes that's the name lol .Regardless, it feels nice knowing I'm not alone :biggrin:
Do you have younger siblings?
Reply 4
I'm the eldest of 5, and without wanting to blow my own horn, I have inherited more than my fair share of academic abilities which perhaps makes it worse as I'm constantly expected to deliver.

Wow, I'm sure. Your youngers must really look up to you. I have one older brother who was talented academically and was good at everything so I expected him to achieve the world, so I sort of know how you feel.
I'm a twin, I hate being constantly compared to her and expected to be similar.
Reply 6
Original post by chantalc
I'm a twin, I hate being constantly compared to her and expected to be similar.

yes, it's a pain.
Reply 7
Being the eldest child sucks too. I understand what you mean. Always being compared to with everything that you do. It does get tiring sometimes.
Fraternal twins :smile:

Yes, I feel the competition withy siblings constantly which gets tiresome.

I thought I was the only one. Why do you think the competition exists?
Original post by Eigo-Jin
yes, it's a pain.

and I hate it when people look at us and ask if we're identical, when we're clearly not. My sister is short, long black hair and has darker eyes and skin tone whereas I'm a lot taller, long browny curly hair and hazel eyes and so much paler..ughh
I've noticed, with twins, people erode their individualism and make the twins "an item", also incomplete without their other.
I've always wondered what it feels like to have a twin :daydreaming:
Original post by aamirac
Being the eldest child sucks too. I understand what you mean. Always being compared to with everything that you do. It does get tiring sometimes.
I'm the eldest and I agree that it does suck. Like if the younger one achieves more than you, or has sex or gets in a relationship before you, it can be pretty embarrassing and you constantly feel pressured to do things that you aren't yet ready for
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
I'm the eldest and I agree that it does suck. Like if the younger one achieves more than you, or has sex or gets in a relationship before you, it can be pretty embarrassing and you constantly feel pressured to do things that you aren't yet ready for

Yes! Literally like this all the time. Doesn't help if you are Asian either.
Original post by aamirac
Yes! Literally like this all the time. Doesn't help if you are Asian either.
oh boy, I'm glad I'm not asian. I imagine that would be 10 times worse
I'm the eldest of 5, and without wanting to blow my own horn, I have inherited more than my fair share of academic abilities which perhaps makes it worse as I'm constantly expected to deliver.

:eek: 4 siblings?! You're a stronger man than I, for sure. I have have a younger sister and even that gets crazy at times.
Reply 16
No twins but i am the eldest of 4 boys. Quite happy though. Im my mums favourite son so all is good.
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Sometimes it just feels like my life is one big competition.
I love my twin, but everything to him is just a competition-getting the best grades, having the most money, being the most successful. It just gets tiresome time to time.
Similar experiences? comments, anyone?

Sounds sad tbh :/ don't let it bring you down :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by chantalc
and I hate it when people look at us and ask if we're identical, when we're clearly not. My sister is short, long black hair and has darker eyes and skin tone whereas I'm a lot taller, long browny curly hair and hazel eyes and so much paler..ughh

I feel for you. Some people will automatically think that twins are the same gender and look exactly the same. I've met some people who at first did not believe that me and my brother were twins because we were two different genders. It's just ignorance.
Reply 19
Original post by samina_ay
Sounds sad tbh :/ don't let it bring you down :smile:

I try not to but it really hit me hard around my GCSE results day. The first thing that came out of people's mouths were "how did your twin do?", they didn't even inquire of my own results. Then they compared us-this really broke into our relationship as twins.
I didn't realise until then how much everybody compared us-teachers and students alike. Afterwards, it came more apparent to me, but I try my best to ignore it.

Quick Reply