The Student Room Group

Greenhead College Applications

Scroll to see replies

6A's and 2B's is definitely enough, so don't stress out. My friends did worse than that and got onto some good courses there. Greenhead will look at your mocks probably more than your targets, so if you got A*s in your mocks last year then I'm sure you'll be able to get A's and A*'s again! Besides, even with B and C grade mocks, people were offered places. We did our mocks in December and those were the grades they were interested in for us, I think most schools do them around November- January so you will have those grades in time for your application! I applied through UCAS and I had to enter my predictions onto there myself. Greenhead do put alot of emphasis on mocks but unless you go to a private school, even if you get B's you will be accepted. I went to a school in Wakefield, but people from Greenhead travel from all over. I sit next to people from 2 hours away in some lessons! Which subjects are you considering?
Original post by emilyrobinson100
6A's and 2B's is definitely enough, so don't stress out. My friends did worse than that and got onto some good courses there. Greenhead will look at your mocks probably more than your targets, so if you got A*s in your mocks last year then I'm sure you'll be able to get A's and A*'s again! Besides, even with B and C grade mocks, people were offered places. We did our mocks in December and those were the grades they were interested in for us, I think most schools do them around November- January so you will have those grades in time for your application! I applied through UCAS and I had to enter my predictions onto there myself. Greenhead do put alot of emphasis on mocks but unless you go to a private school, even if you get B's you will be accepted. I went to a school in Wakefield, but people from Greenhead travel from all over. I sit next to people from 2 hours away in some lessons! Which subjects are you considering?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Geology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which subjects are you doing? Is it your first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himani Vadhia
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Geology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Btw predicted grades are different to target grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
What career are you planning on doing or are you undecided? Yes, this is my first year and I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History, but I know people who have taken your other subjects. Yes, but they are interested in your mocks over any other grades. When you go to your interview they fill in a sheet with your target grades and mock grades, two separate columns!
(edited 8 years ago)
What career are you planning on doing or are you undecided? Yes, this is my first year and I have taken Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History, but I know people who have taken your other subjects. Yes, but they are interested in your mocks over any other grades. When you go to your interview they fill in a sheet with your target grades and mock grades, two separate columns!

How is biology and chemistry and maths? I'm thinking of doing maths at a level but not sure because it's supposed to be hard - I'm currently a B so I don't know if I should do it

I would like to study physics, preferably astrophysics, and hopefully teaching or research.

What was the interview like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
How is biology and chemistry and maths? I'm thinking of doing maths at a level but not sure because it's supposed to be hard - I'm currently a B so I don't know if I should do it

Biology is actually very easy at the minute, I've had all A's but there is a alot to remember. Again, Chemistry is harder than Biology but I haven't found myself struggling yet, there is alot of content and it has been quite Maths based so far, apart from Atomic Structure. I think it will get much harder though. The only thing I'm worried about is how much content there is, but the content for both Biology and Chemistry has been easy to understand and I haven't struggled yet or had anything less than an A! I'm really enjoying them both. The teachers are fantastic! I can't stress to you enough to give Maths a go. I was very unsure about taking it and I didn't get A* at GCSE, I struggled with it the most at school. But the Maths department at Greenhead is fantastic, if you go to a talk on the open evening you will be inspired. Honestly, put work in and you will do fantastic. I have just got an A in the first test we did (which is the highest you can get at AS) with nearly full marks. The teachers are so enthusiastic, they could honestly teach A-level maths to anyone. I'm finding it easier than GCSE maths for this reason! Maths and Physics has its own building and there is a Maths help room which is always open for 1-1 tutoring at any time of the day when you are stuck. Give it a go!
What was the interview like?The interview is very laid back and friendly. It's not formal at all. They ask you for your mock grades and target grades, write them down and then they just ask you what extra-curricular you do and what your career plans are. They don't put you on the spot or ask you anything which would make you think! Just don't forget your mock grades or they will be funny with you because that is pretty much what they base the offer on.
Biology is actually very easy at the minute, I've had all A's but there is a alot to remember. Again, Chemistry is harder than Biology but I haven't found myself struggling yet, there is alot of content and it has been quite Maths based so far, apart from Atomic Structure. I think it will get much harder though. The only thing I'm worried about is how much content there is, but the content for both Biology and Chemistry has been easy to understand and I haven't struggled yet or had anything less than an A! I'm really enjoying them both. The teachers are fantastic! I can't stress to you enough to give Maths a go. I was very unsure about taking it and I didn't get A* at GCSE, I struggled with it the most at school. But the Maths department at Greenhead is fantastic, if you go to a talk on the open evening you will be inspired. Honestly, put work in and you will do fantastic. I have just got an A in the first test we did (which is the highest you can get at AS) with nearly full marks. The teachers are so enthusiastic, they could honestly teach A-level maths to anyone. I'm finding it easier than GCSE maths for this reason! Maths and Physics has its own building and there is a Maths help room which is always open for 1-1 tutoring at any time of the day when you are stuck. Give it a go!

Wow I can't believe you've just persuaded me to pick a level Maths honestly I was dead against the idea I'm really fed up with my b at GCSE I've been on the Same grade for ages which is depressing but thanks you lots!! The 1-1 help sounds very useful and probably what i need - gosh I hope I get into greenhead now then it's sounds amazing. I'm coming to the open evening this Thursday so I can come and have a look around I guess
Wow I can't believe you've just persuaded me to pick a level Maths honestly I was dead against the idea I'm really fed up with my b at GCSE I've been on the Same grade for ages which is depressing but thanks you lots!! The 1-1 help sounds very useful and probably what i need - gosh I hope I get into greenhead now then it's sounds amazing. I'm coming to the open evening this Thursday so I can come and have a look around I guess

Yes, I was surprised at how much easier I'm finding Maths at A-level, it's slowly becoming my favourite subject! They are always so keen to help, the Maths staffroom is next door to the help room and teachers constantly come in and ask if anyone needs help and if you do then they will sit with you and go through it. Make sure you visit the 'Rostron Building' as it's the Maths and Physics building where you can go to the talks on A-level Maths and you will be shocked at the enthusiasm of the teachers! They inspired me to take Maths on the open evening, I was impressed!! The college is exceptional and all the teachers are experts in their fields, I would recommend it to anyone
Yes, I was surprised at how much easier I'm finding Maths at A-level, it's slowly becoming my favourite subject! They are always so keen to help, the Maths staffroom is next door to the help room and teachers constantly come in and ask if anyone needs help and if you do then they will sit with you and go through it. Make sure you visit the 'Rostron Building' as it's the Maths and Physics building where you can go to the talks on A-level Maths and you will be shocked at the enthusiasm of the teachers! They inspired me to take Maths on the open evening, I was impressed!! The college is exceptional and all the teachers are experts in their fields, I would recommend it to anyone

I'm so glad you commented on this thread seriously I thought I'd lost all hope - on the website it says you need cs in English and maths and bs for the subjects you want to study - but I don't understand because it's a top college no denying so why do they require such low grades you'd think they would be higher right also for the interview what exactly happens?
What was the interview like?The interview is very laid back and friendly. It's not formal at all. They ask you for your mock grades and target grades, write them down and then they just ask you what extra-curricular you do and what your career plans are. They don't put you on the spot or ask you anything which would make you think! Just don't forget your mock grades or they will be funny with you because that is pretty much what they base the offer on.

Do you think that doing stuff like grade 5 trumpet, being a prefect and completing a world challenge expedition help? Also I've done some volunteering.
Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so glad you commented on this thread seriously I thought I'd lost all hope - on the website it says you need cs in English and maths and bs for the subjects you want to study - but I don't understand because it's a top college no denying so why do they require such low grades you'd think they would be higher right also for the interview what exactly happens?

You could do what I did, start with 5 AS levels incase you struggle with Maths, then you don't get behind on the other and when you've made your decision drop one, I made mine after 4 days! They will actually let you study the course you would like if you get a C, but obviously aim as high as you can! Yes, it was rated the best 6th form college in the country last year (http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/greenhead-best-sixth-form-college-8164346) and comes at the top of the league tables! http://www.greenhead.ac.uk/exam_results/results.aspxAnd it's because Greenhead take people from all backgrounds, thats part of why it is such a recognised college! They don't mind if people go there with C's because the teaching is of such a high standard that anyone can do well there if they work hard. Plus, it gives them a higher value-added score, so basically it means that when people go there with average GCSE's, they improve them by much more than a college which would only accept high GCSE grades. This makes them look alot better! If you don't pass 3 in your first year then you would have to leave though. The interview is nothing to worry about as long as you take your mock grades and target grades. They write them down, ask about extra curricular and also about your future plans, nothing out of the ordinary. Most people's interviews were very informal and laid back. You just go and sit at a table with one of the members of staff and they will fill in a sheet, it will take about 15 minutes then they explain the process of how they pick their students. It's nothing to worry about at all, there are no difficult or on the spot questions! Most people took folders in with their reports and certificates, but don't worry they send a letter out of what you need to take to your interview!
Yes, anything extra-curricular will boost your application, all of those will help you very much! The more you do the better, they write it down on the sheet in your interview and its one of the things they ask about and focus on. They love it when you are a rounded person and do things outside of school!!
You could do what I did, start with 5 AS levels incase you struggle with Maths, then you don't get behind on the other and when you've made your decision drop one, I made mine after 4 days! They will actually let you study the course you would like if you get a C, but obviously aim as high as you can! Yes, it was rated the best 6th form college in the country last year (http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/greenhead-best-sixth-form-college-8164346) and comes at the top of the league tables! http://www.greenhead.ac.uk/exam_results/results.aspxAnd it's because Greenhead take people from all backgrounds, thats part of why it is such a recognised college! They don't mind if people go there with C's because the teaching is of such a high standard that anyone can do well there if they work hard. Plus, it gives them a higher value-added score, so basically it means that when people go there with average GCSE's, they improve them by much more than a college which would only accept high GCSE grades. This makes them look alot better! If you don't pass 3 in your first year then you would have to leave though. The interview is nothing to worry about as long as you take your mock grades and target grades. They write them down, ask about extra curricular and also about your future plans, nothing out of the ordinary. Most people's interviews were very informal and laid back. You just go and sit at a table with one of the members of staff and they will fill in a sheet, it will take about 15 minutes then they explain the process of how they pick their students. It's nothing to worry about at all, there are no difficult or on the spot questions! Most people took folders in with their reports and certificates, but don't worry they send a letter out of what you need to take to your interview!

That was really useful thank you !! Do they tell you about the interviews at the open evening then or is that different? I'm really not sure about work placement as I have no experience/ when do you think I should d it?
That was really useful thank you !! Do they tell you about the interviews at the open evening then or is that different? I'm really not sure about work placement as I have no experience/ when do you think I should d it?

Throughout the night there will be a few talks run by the principal and he talks about everything you need to know, then outside the talk you visit all the classrooms and departments and there will be subject teachers so you can ask any questions there!
You don't need to have a work placement unless you want to. Most people don't have one. Any hobbies, instruments, volunteering, DofE, Scouts, any roles in school such as a prefect, sports leader etc will all help your application!
Yes, anything extra-curricular will boost your application, all of those will help you very much! The more you do the better, they write it down on the sheet in your interview and its one of the things they ask about and focus on. They love it when you are a rounded person and do things outside of school!!

What's history like at greenhead? I plan on taking all the same subjects as you actually
Original post by ScienceFantatic
What's history like at greenhead? I plan on taking all the same subjects as you actually

For History, you can do Medieval or Modern, whichever you choose you have to do the opposite coursework, for example if you pick Medieval, in your A2 year you will have to do Modern coursework if you continue to study it. I have a really good History teacher, it's quite hard to pick up at first because of all the new words and topics but after 2 weeks it comes together really well and now I'm enjoying it quite alot. I would recommend taking it, I really like it! The sources can be challenging but all the same it's very interesting! If you do well at GCSE, you will do well at A-level. It's 25 mark questions, you just have to debate similar to the longer GCSE questions!

Quick Reply

Latest