The Student Room Group

Why are a lot of people seeminlgy unkind/humourless about eccentricity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrangeBanana
Her behaviour was unacceptable. There is no debate to be had.

I agree it's not a class thing. She was rude as ****, I have seen some middle class spoiled people act like this in public too btw
Her behaviour was unacceptable. There is no debate to be had.

Talking really loud in fake accents might be unnacceptable. There is an element of subjectivity. And whats so good about sitting in miserable self important silence, like the tube so often is. I'm not surprised the occasional time someone just wants to let a bit out.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
The class struggle and repressive culture and the need to get position within society causes people to be obsessed with how they present themselves.This can make them very pompous and humourless, it place so much restriction on everything that eccentricity like this has to happen. If this girl lived in a different society that didn't insist on this stuff, she could have turned out much more balanced. It's the continual judgement, and obsession with stupid petty protocol and class judgement, not to mention hypocritical manners, that cause all this. Indirectly maybe.

That's off the top of my head and I paint with a broad brush.

Yeah I agree!
Reply 23
I don't think anything described so far here counts as eccentricity. A lot of what you see today is pseudo-eccentricity, it doesn't count as eccentric behaviour if it is preplanned to be shared on YouTube or Twitter or because someone wants to purposely express a difference. An eccentric isn't someone who wears a flannel shirt or has blue hair or even reads anime comics in public. A true eccentric would be someone who every Saturday went shopping around the high-street with their favourite spider-plant called Dolly. Some years ago I volunteered at a charity shop for many months and the harmless eccentrics would come and potter about on schedule. The thing is, these people aren't trying to be noticed as such, it's just the intrinsic nature of their personality.

Even in what, 2008? when the current generation of hipsters appeared, it was NEVER eccentric, it was simply a fashion statement; a preplanned, forced agenda.

"Oh wow you watch Doctor Who AND The Big Bang Theory, how eccentric that you watch two of the most popular TV shows in the country"

I'm starting to think that this whole eccentricity thing is just going to be a repeat of mental illness

"Omg don't touch my highlighters I am OCD about it l0l0ll...except actually I don't cut myself or pull my hair out because of the stress that interfering with my rituals causes but I do identify with a TV character designed by corporate big wigs to be identifiable with! While I'm here I should tell you that I have bone cancer too!"

Rant over
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roofas
I don't think anything described so far here counts as eccentricity. A lot of what you see today is pseudo-eccentricity, it doesn't count as eccentric behaviour if it is preplanned to be shared on YouTube or Twitter or because someone wants to purposely express a difference. An eccentric isn't someone who wears a flannel shirt or has blue hair or even reads anime comics in public. A true eccentric would be someone who every Saturday went shopping around the high-street with their favourite spider-plant called Dolly. Some years ago I volunteered at a charity shop for many months and the harmless eccentrics would come and potter about on schedule. The thing is, these people aren't trying to be noticed as such, it's just the intrinsic nature of their personality.

Even in what, 2008? when the current generation of hipsters appeared, it was NEVER eccentric, it was simply a fashion statement; a preplanned, forced agenda.

"Oh wow you watch Doctor Who AND The Big Bang Theory, how eccentric that you watch two of the most popular TV shows in the country"

I'm starting to think that this whole eccentricity thing is just going to be a repeat of mental illness

"Omg don't touch my highlighters I am OCD about it l0l0ll...except actually I don't cut myself or pull my hair out because of the stress that interfering with my rituals causes but I do identify with a TV character designed by corporate big wigs to be identifiable with! While I'm here I should tell you that I have bone cancer too!"

Rant over

Some people are genuinely mentally ill ofc, but the emo/hipster sorts who don't have those problems but think it is "trendy" to post about "how depressed" they are really piss me off
Talking really loud in fake accents might be unnacceptable. There is an element of subjectivity. And whats so good about sitting in miserable self important silence, like the tube so often is. I'm not surprised the occasional time someone just wants to let a bit out.

No, there is no subjectivity. Everyone with half a brain and any sense of self-awareness knows it's not on.

You are painting a false dichotomy: there aren't just two options, here, one screaming and shouting and one sitting in depressed, silent apathy. Maybe I'm not talking because I want to get some work done, or because the people around me are strangers I'm never going to meet again so it'd be awkward if I were to strike up conversation?

I think we can all agree life is at times frustrating, but part of growing up is learning to take it on the chin and keep your mouth shut about it.
(edited 8 years ago)

I think we can all agree life is at times frustrating, but part of growing up is learning to take it on the chin and keep your mouth shut about it.

That just sounds like conditioned, received wisdom to me. It's actually a form of resignation. A cop out.
That just sounds like conditioned, received wisdom to me.

What you think it sounds like is irrelevant, unless you actually have an argument against it. Do you actually think life would be better if nobody practised restraint, and just "let it out" any time they felt angry, or frustrated? What an absurd notion.
What you think it sounds like is irrelevant, unless you actually have an argument against it. Do you actually think life would be better if nobody practised restraint, and just "let it out" any time they felt angry, or frustrated? What an absurd notion.

It's a question of balance. Many foreigners have commented on the ludicrous stuffiness, repression and formality that exists here over the years. Stick a lid on a boiling pan and something must come out. It's Freudian.
It's a question of balance. Many foreigners have commented on the ludicrous stuffiness, repression and formality that exists here over the years. Stick a lid on a boiling pan and something must come out. It's Freudian.

I don't see much evidence of 'ludicrous stuffiness, repression and formality' here in the UK.. I can imagine it is more conservative somewhere like Canada, or even Australia. On the surface they might seem more laid back, but I think the British are actually pretty open-minded and tolerant.

If foreigners don't like it, they're free to leave. I've lived in London my whole life and never felt repressed or overly formal.
I will of course include those with mild mental illness, although for me the line with eccentricity is slightly blurred here. But plenty of life's greatest thinkers and geniuses, artistic and scientific, have been eccentric-the trend is well established. I've got a bit of a thing for eccentric girls and sometimes find them really funny and have a soft spot. I may be judging by the web and only certain people, a selective sample that are posting. I'll give you an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSVOVYV7FdI

Basically, I just think there is a lack of compassion, and to be honest, a lot of eccentric people are a hell of a lot more likeable and charming than the taking themselves seriously, oh-so cool/po-faced people, who have only ever thought conformist thoughts. Maybe it's just that a lot of hateful people post online. Because here the comments don't match the scene, the guy next to her even says take care/nice to meet you and the other girls laugh. Tbh I'd rather have a tube journey with her than the pompous, humourless, typical London cow going on about 'paying for her ticket'. I mean, she's quite endearing and harmless, and the tube is so fin miserable and full of those who take themselves seriously.

My contention is this-
If we hate eccentricity, have no empathy for it, when it is a bedfellow of freedom and liberty and individuality, then as an individual or a society we harbour totalitarian traits. The two are closely linked-the authoritarian conformist personality hates eccentricity the most. You can say you respect the woman who has a problem, but listen to her, imagine trying to have any kind of laugh with her.

We're extremely tolerant of eccentricity, as long as it doesn't stray into disrespectful for others.
Original post by feloraa
I don't see much evidence of 'ludicrous stuffiness, repression and formality' here in the UK.. I can imagine it is more conservative somewhere like Canada, or even Australia. On the surface they might seem more laid back, but I think the British are actually pretty open-minded and tolerant.

Australia is certainly very backward and racist, sexist etc.

UK is one of the most progressive tolerant countries in the world. Definitely top 5- the others are all in Northern Europe as well.

Quick Reply

Latest