The Student Room Group

What would happen if a Black man walked around Poland?

How long would it take until he would be attacked? From what I've heard it would probably be within the hour at most.

EDIT: sorry let me add some context, my mate has invited me and is eager for me to join him.. I fear for my safety.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Nothing hopefully. Just do it and hope for the best.
Depends where: big city/hick village. It's not like Poles have never seen a black person.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/8187102/Polish-parliament-welcomes-first-black-MP.html
That's part of my fan-fiction!
Reply 4
You may lack of Confidence. mystery is not to go new places is how you confident you are. :wink:
he will move to the uk soon
Reply 6
Original post by Little Toy Gun
he will move to the uk soon

I'm from the UK..

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friends some of whom are Asian/Black went to Warsaw and were fine, but they say in Krakow they encountered a few racists :frown:

I have also met other immigrants in the UK some of whom are Poles, sadly some are anti non White. Maybe because Poland is poor they feel more insecure about their EU status
Obviously I am opposed to racism, but this thread feeds into a culture where Polish people are essentially being racially abused because people are just assuming they are all a bunch of racists.

I was raised in a environment where I was old enough to remember the first Black people I saw and one of my earliest friends was a Black (actually she was mixed) girl.
Reply 9
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Obviously I am opposed to racism, but this thread feeds into a culture where Polish people are essentially being racially abused because people are just assuming they are all a bunch of racists.

I was raised in a environment where I was old enough to remember the first Black people I saw and one of my earliest friends was a Black (actually she was mixed) girl.

Lets not get silly, when a country has to have armed police out on the streets due to members of a sports team are in the country and some are black, I think its safe to say the country has problems. This isn't speculation its all fact, to say its all hearsay is ridiculous.
Reply 10
It is perfectly safe.
You should only be patient with people staring at you a lot more than you're probably used to, especially if you visit smaller, rural communities - it's very likely to be out of genuine curiosity rather than malice.
Outright racism is mostly confined to the Internet, aggression on the streets based on race is rare. This being said, you should probably be cautious and avoid walking outside of any city centre after dark - but the same advice goes to any foreigner.

Just don't hang near churches and avoid grandmas in mohair berets...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Souljer
Lets not get silly, when a country has to have armed police out on the streets due to members of a sports team are in the country and some are black, I think its safe to say the country has problems. This isn't speculation its all fact, to say its all hearsay is ridiculous.

I agree there are problems, but you cannot assume every Polish person is racist until proven otherwise.
Reply 12
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
I agree there are problems, but you cannot assume every Polish person is racist until proven otherwise.

Please quote where I said "every Polish person is racist"
You can easily categorise a country as a racist one without having to state "not everyone in the country is racist" its an overview, surely your intelligence could have picked that up?
Hello Everyone,

Sorry but this topic is offensive and totally absurd. Poland as a Central European Union country with more than 1000 years history has been for many centuries multi-cultural country. Let's take for example XVII century Polish-Lithuanian Commonwelth Empire where many people from different religious and ethnic communities from the rest of Europe found asylum and peace. In the time where in XVII century Europe in Germany, France, Spain or Britain where people of different religions fight each other and burn each other, Poland was know as the most tolerant country in Europe with large procent of German, Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Czech, Slovak, Moldavian, Russian, Ukrainan, Armenian, Tatar and other people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish%E2%80%93Lithuanian_Commonwealth

As ex-immigration and high rank police officer who has been invited to teach at one of Universities in England I have conversed with many cultures and ethnicities. I have been to 28 countries in Europe, Africa and Asia. In my career as police officer I never had or even heard racially motivated crime so where are the proofs of such insulting accusation?

Poland is poor? Depends if you compare level of living between European countries or between contnents with Asia or Africa or worldwide. I recommend to go to Scandianvian countries Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark or to Switzerland. Please come back and decide if you want continue to live in the UK. 50% of Poles also came back because of crisis UK is not so attractive like before.

Myths and stereotypes are everythere. European people like Germans and French look different and have different at English people and the same English people look and have different opinion about Germans and French.All this stereotyping is insulting so we should be more aware to not hurt feeling of other people.

P.S. My nationality is mix Polish-German and my wife is black and before for many years we have been living happily in Poland.

Greetings to All,
Adam

Quick Reply

Latest