The Student Room Group

Applying for a MA? Applications?

Hi

I've just started applying for a MA through an online application form. I've filled in details about my current university/expected grades but it is asking about work history now... Does the actually come into account when deciding whether or not to accept you?

I'm completely new to PG applications and honestly I don't have a clue. Where can I find help about writing a personal statement?!
They ask for two reasons - 1) so that you account for all the time since you left school, and b) so that you have the chance to list any relevant work experience.

If its just student/casual jobs since graduation, then you could literally put '2012/2015 - part-time work to finance degree, including bar-work, casual teaching assistant' or whatever, you wouldn't need to list everything individually. Obviously if there is relevent work, you need to go into more detail.

Unis get suspicious about big gaps - they suspect you might be trying to hide something like a 'failed' degree or something not entirely legit, so honesty is always the best policy.

Personal Statement - you need to sell yourself, why they should choose you rather than anyone else. Structure it around these questions, a) Why I want to do this course (ie. how it builds on previous degree/academic interests etc), b) why this Uni/Dept/Research Group (ie. staff research interests, reputation of Dept etc), and c) why me (ie. that you are perfect for this degree and what you will bring to the Dept. etc)
Reply 2
Original post by returnmigrant
They ask for two reasons - 1) so that you account for all the time since you left school, and b) so that you have the chance to list any relevant work experience.

If its just student/casual jobs since graduation, then you could literally put '2012/2015 - part-time work to finance degree, including bar-work, casual teaching assistant' or whatever, you wouldn't need to list everything individually. Obviously if there is relevent work, you need to go into more detail.

Unis get suspicious about big gaps - they suspect you might be trying to hide something like a 'failed' degree or something not entirely legit, so honesty is always the best policy.

Personal Statement - you need to sell yourself, why they should choose you rather than anyone else. Structure it around these questions, a) Why I want to do this course (ie. how it builds on previous degree/academic interests etc), b) why this Uni/Dept/Research Group (ie. staff research interests, reputation of Dept etc), and c) why me (ie. that you are perfect for this degree and what you will bring to the Dept. etc)

Thanks. I'm 20 so not too sure where I'd fit a failed degree in there but thank you for clearing that up.

I think I just need to focus on my PS now. I know which course/uni I want to go to so do I tailor it to that? I don't want to be raving about a university and they don't want to hear about it. Could I mention previous modules at a different university?
Original post by EloiseStar
I know which course/uni I want to go to so do I tailor it to that?.........Could I mention previous modules at a different university?

1) Yes, totally - each application is separate as you apply directly to that Uni.
2) Only if its relevant and you are showing how the Masters would build on that. And the old UCAS idea still applies - don't mention anything unless you explain why you are mentioning it. So not just 'I have enjoyed studying xyz' but why this is relevant to this application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending