The Student Room Group

First Year Analyst - Want to LEAVE Already?!

Hola All!,

I'm a first year Analyst at a Global Asian Bank in London, C.Wharf within Capital Markets. I graduated in June, finished my FCA Exams and Training as well as a few weeks into the role.

The work is ok, though I don't really like the culture of the place..most people I meet are either mediocre or just good at schmoozing, no real intelligence there. People also don't really talk on my team just work work work...this can be quite lonely and intimidating tbh.

I was wondering what's the best way to get and would love to hear advice others have on here? I still want to stay within the industry but just another bank..I was thinking to long it out atleast 9months and then looked for experienced analyst roles? or just reapply to grad schemes at other banks?

Ta,

Scroll to see replies

hi im looking to get into investment banking and i was just wondering do they really care about gcse's, a levels, and a degree? i only have 2 gcse's maths and english the rest are btec. im looking to either do a levels or an access course as i am 19. i don't know whether i should do a levels as i will be 22 when i complete them. then after this get a degree in business management.

do i really have any chance in this industry or should i quit and pursue another passion?
Original post by Garib
Hola All!,

I'm a first year Analyst at a Global Asian Bank in London, C.Wharf within Capital Markets. I graduated in June, finished my FCA Exams and Training as well as a few weeks into the role.

The work is ok, though I don't really like the culture of the place..most people I meet are either mediocre or just good at schmoozing, no real intelligence there. People also don't really talk on my team just work work work...this can be quite lonely and intimidating tbh.

I was wondering what's the best way to get and would love to hear advice others have on here? I still want to stay within the industry but just another bank..I was thinking to long it out atleast 9months and then looked for experienced analyst roles? or just reapply to grad schemes at other banks?

Ta,

You could probably try to lateral over to another bank, I suggest reaching out to some recruiters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fasial96.
hi im looking to get into investment banking and i was just wondering do they really care about gcse's, a levels, and a degree? i only have 2 gcse's maths and english the rest are btec. im looking to either do a levels or an access course as i am 19. i don't know whether i should do a levels as i will be 22 when i complete them. then after this get a degree in business management.

do i really have any chance in this industry or should i quit and pursue another passion?

It'll be tough, especially if you don't manage to break into a decently targeted university and/or you don't meet the UCAS point filters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Garib
Hola All!,

Ta,

This is sad. I literally was remembering yday youre thread on being scared youd end up a dickhead like others youve known. In my experience, was really worried about the same thing because had very very similar experiences with friends. hope you can stick it out, leave asap once you get another offer, stay for the full remuneration you can get.
Reply 5
With respect, were you expecting "buddies" and teambuilding? Long lunches and BFFs? Most feel that they spend enough time at work and would rather go in, get the job done and leave in the fastest time possible. Notwithstanding the unspoken requirements of networking that is. Whether you accept it or not networking is going to be critical to your getting paid, promoted and ultimately hired at other institutions. Embrace it and learn, like everything else, the way to do it as efficiently as possible.

None of this precludes you making friends at work, but perhaps if the esprit de corps is one of the main reasons you joined, rather than the opportunities and interest for the career and the compensation it brings, you might want to consider a career that's a bit a bit less work-orientated? Or take up an out-of-work hobby perhaps?

Either way, moving to another firm is not going to change that.

Bb.
Original post by Garib
Hola All!,

Ta,

What makes you think another bank will be different? You're probably not going to get the culture of a tech startup while working at a global investment bank.
hi im looking to get into investment banking and i was just wondering do they really care about gcse's, a levels, and a degree? i only have 2 gcse's

Original post by Princepieman
It'll be tough,

Tough?? Naive advice. It will be impossible. It's tough if you have top academics. 2 gcse's and a btec is simply a no. fasial, few (if any) industries care more about a levels and degree- choose another passion.
Original post by dreamlover
Tough?? Naive advice. It will be impossible. It's tough if you have top academics. 2 gcse's and a btec is simply a no. fasial, few (if any) industries care more about a levels and degree- choose another passion.

I will be studying a levels next year maths, further maths and economics. after this i will go to uni. i was just wondering do banks really care about a levels and gcse's?
I will be studying a levels next year maths, further maths and economics. after this i will go to uni. i was just wondering do banks really care about a levels and gcse's?

Yes, but only to the extent of ticking the UCAS point box. Obviously, it's better if you had spotless grades as your competition definitely will.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Yes, but only to the extent of ticking the UCAS point box. Obviously, it's better if you had spotless grades as your competition definitely will.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know im aiming to to get A*/A's mostly and im gonna be revising much more than i am now. i currently do about 1 hour a day, ill be doing around 3/4 hours a day when i start my a levels
Reply 11

I just reviewed the CV of a guy who didn't get any interviews at banks last year. 2:1 from a red brick university, 3 As at A level; 8 A*s and 2 As. Lots of ECs, charity work and sport. Investment societies at university*. I'm not saying that means you won't get a job - maybe you're a very strong candidate in other ways - but your interviewer will be asking if they should take the risk on your application vs. someone who's achieved the above, or indeed better. Would you take that risk? If you are indeed on track to achieve A*s at A Level, pick up some extra GCSEs during that year too to even the playing field.

Bb.

EDIT: * plus two banking internships.

Yes, they really do care. Law and banking care a lot. If you only managed two gcses is it realistic to expect a*s at a level, esp further maths? In any case, theyre looking for the sort of people who can get top grades with not much effort. I mean, go for it, what do you have to lose?
Yes, they really do care. Law and banking care a lot. If you only managed two gcses is it realistic to expect a*s at a level, esp further maths? In any case, theyre looking for the sort of people who can get top grades with not much effort. I mean, go for it, what do you have to lose?

im 19 now but when i did my gcse maths and english i only got a D. i took them again last year and got AA. the gcse's i had chosen at gcse were never given to me so i had to study btec hospitality&catering and travel&tourism. i asked if i could change them; they refused. i absolutely hated my btecs. plus i was do doing religious stuff outside of school which never gave enough time to do any sort of revision/practice.

i just found out my college dont do a levels either so i would have to teach myself. i do have a sis who has bsc in maths so she could teach me but i would have to teach myself economics. is this wise?
Ok, so the situation is a little different than I thought. I thought you took 10 gcses like everyone else but only passed two.
I think for something like maths, self study is absolutely fine as one or two good textbooks will give you everything you need. All I got out of college was motivation tbh. I could've done just as well self studying. Plus you got your sis. Something like English would be a different matter as you need constant feedback. Economics? I think it's similarly concise-concept based and quantitative so self study might be fine as well but I didn't do econ so take that advice with a pinch. Have a look at what textbooks are available at your library etc In actual fact, it might look even better if you manage to get top grades through self study- it demonstrates self discipline.
Or you could just find a college nearby that does A Levels?

Re Investment banking, at the end of the day, even if you don't get an IB job, what difference does that make to what you do now? You should still try and get top grades at a level and uni, so you can get another decent job, so it really doesn't matter if you can get an IB job.
Ok, so the situation is a little different than I thought. I thought you took 10 gcses like everyone else but only passed two.
I think for something like maths, self study is absolutely fine as one or two good textbooks will give you everything you need. All I got out of college was motivation tbh. I could've done just as well self studying. Plus you got your sis. Something like English would be a different matter as you need constant feedback. Economics? I think it's similarly concise-concept based and quantitative so self study might be fine as well but I didn't do econ so take that advice with a pinch. Have a look at what textbooks are available at your library etc In actual fact, it might look even better if you manage to get top grades through self study- it demonstrates self discipline.
Or you could just find a college nearby that does A Levels?

Re Investment banking, at the end of the day, even if you don't get an IB job, what difference does that make to what you do now? You should still try and get top grades at a level and uni, so you can get another decent job, so it really doesn't matter if you can get an IB job.

I did pick gcse's when i was at school (don't know how many) but i wasn't offered any of them; i got btecs instead and **** ones at that. i asked if i could change them didnt let me, they even made me do btec science. i hated school, i didn't know what i wanted do in life at that time. i know 100% what i want to do now and yeah im not just looking into IB got other options as well.

What did you study and what were your grades?
What kind of terrible place do you live that you can't even do gcses or a levels?
I did maths, further maths, physics and philosophy and got straight As (no A*s back then). Why?
IB is a good thing to aim for, it's where the money's at. But of course you knew that already, what other reason would anyone possibly be remotely interested in IB otherwise? It'd literally be the worst job in the world if it weren't for the pay. I'd rather be rubbish collector.
What kind of terrible place do you live that you can't even do gcses or a levels?
I did maths, further maths, physics and philosophy and got straight As (no A*s back then). Why?
IB is a good thing to aim for, it's where the money's at. But of course you knew that already, what other reason would anyone possibly be remotely interested in IB otherwise? It'd literally be the worst job in the world if it weren't for the pay. I'd rather be rubbish collector.

Exit opportunities, the learning experience, the prestige (although a tenuous one), the the network you build, access to high level professionals etc. The money is only one aspect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will a economics degree from warwick help me get into investment banking or get me to a top accounting firm?
Original post by Evil Genius
Will a economics degree from warwick help me get into investment banking or get me to a top accounting firm?

Yes, it's a target for IB. Most people can get into accounting tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending