The Student Room Group

disrepute???????????????????

In what ways would a former student bring a university into disrepute or damage the good name of the university?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If he failed at his chosen profession? Either through inability and criminality.
Reply 2
By writing negative things about them online
By posting on their facebook page that the uni is ****.
^ What she (before what he said) said, that will totally work!
Reply 5
An isolated insult won't work. Might make you feel good though. It would have to be true, supported by evidence and reported to a newspaper.
Original post by versari
An isolated insult won't work. Might make you feel good though. It would have to be true, supported by evidence and reported to a newspaper.

:smile:I don't want to bring a university into disrepute. I just want to know how you could bring it into disrepute so I can avoid doing those things and avoid getting a potential degree revoked.
Original post by polpo
:smile:I don't want to bring a university into disrepute. I just want to know how you could bring it into disrepute so I can avoid doing those things and avoid getting a potential degree revoked.

Then don't say anything overly negative about your uni online.
Original post by DiddyDec
Then don't say anything overly negative about your uni online.

But is criticising the university all that counts as bringing the university into disrepute? Couldn't things like being struck off from the GMC or being disbarred come under the same banner if it were heavily publicised e.g.http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11868662.Doctor_struck_off_register_following_fatal_prescription_error/ ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
once accepted by a uni you'll get your degree. Think of the least you can do.....breath....and you'll get your degree. Just don't do anything silly, like tying your lecturers shoe laces together....even then...
Original post by polpo
But is criticising the university all that counts as bringing the university into disrepute? Couldn't things like being struck off from the GMC or being disbarred come under the same banner if it were heavily publicised e.g.http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11868662.Doctor_struck_off_register_following_fatal_prescription_error/ ?

It can be, depends how your uni feel about it. I have been done for it twice.

you're joking,right?
Original post by polpo
you're joking,right?

No.

What have you been done for if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by Jenx301
What have you been done for if you dont mind me asking?

Bringing both my college and university into disrepute, in two different events.
Bringing both my college and university into disrepute, in two different events.

Do you mind me asking what you did?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jenx301
Do you mind me asking what you did? I was accused of this once in my first year because I was frustrated about something in my accomodation and wrote a rant on my facebook page.... I didn't realise this was against the rules and got told!

Didn't know this was so common, :s-smilie:
Original post by Jenx301
Do you mind me asking what you did? I was accused of this once in my first year because I was frustrated about something in my accomodation and wrote a rant on my facebook page.... I didn't realise this was against the rules and got told!

The first was after leaving college, I posted on their facebook page that they were failing in education and that the college farm was a total mess (with some very graphic details) it was mostly true. This resulted in the college refusing to give me a reference for university.

So as any responsible adult would do I told them that if they did not give me a reference I would involve my solicitor. They got me my reference that afternoon.

The second was my university. I posted on here that verbal racism wasn't as bad as physical racism and can mostly be ignored in the sense of two friends talking using racist terms for people in private. This was while I was serving as the Equality and Diversity Officer of the SU as voted for by the people. This resulted in me being forced to step down from my position and a one year bar ban. I eventually left the university due to lack of studying and partying too hard.

I ****ed up.
Original post by polpo
Didn't know this was so common, :s-smilie:

I'm not sure that it's a common thing, but I think a lot of people don't realise that it can happen. I didn't know and they take it quite seriously. It wasn't even the university that I spoke about, just their halls, but still.... dont :smile:
The first was after leaving college, I posted on their facebook page that they were failing in education and that the college farm was a total mess (with some very graphic details) it was mostly true. This resulted in the college refusing to give me a reference for university.

So as any responsible adult would do I told them that if they did not give me a reference I would involve my solicitor. They got me my reference that afternoon.

The second was my university. I posted on here that verbal racism wasn't as bad as physical racism and can mostly be ignored in the sense of two friends talking using racist terms for people in private. This was while I was serving as the Equality and Diversity Officer of the SU as voted for by the people. This resulted in me being forced to step down from my position and a one year bar ban. I eventually left the university due to lack of studying and partying too hard.

I ****ed up.

How did they know it was you that posted it when you use a pseudonym and do you go to a different university?

Quick Reply

Latest