Article: Medical school GCSE requirements

Scroll to see replies

i only did 6 subjects in IGCSEs (may/ june 2015) :s-smilie:
my results are:
A* in chemistry and Biology
A in Physics and Math
B in English first Language
C in Art

i've already started my A levels (july 2015 intake).do you guys think i should take 2 more subjects (maybe in oct/nov , dont know if registration is still open :frown: ) just to make sure i have enough subjects? and what subjects would be a good option?
Reply 21
Original post by Natasha99
4 A*'s, 7 A's and 3 B's. Good enough?

B's in Chemistry, Physics and English Literature

The table above is helpfull
Original post by FrustratedHorse
GCSE results (full courses):
1 A* In maths
5 A's: Bio, chem, phys, computing, additional maths(FSMQ)
5 B's: Eng. lang+lit, geog, DT, French
Short courses:
1 A*- R.S
1 A- Citizenship studies

According to the information above, I would be accepted by a good portion of the universities however my GCSE's still aren't up to par with the competition. If i achieve well in my A levels, would it compensate?

I am in your position aswell. I think we will be fine if we have very high BMAT/UKCAT score
Your opinions on my GCSE grades?

1A* (History), 4As, 6BS

A in english lang
A in additional science
B in Core science (did 1 year early)
B in maths :frown:

So I am thinking about universities like Imperial,UCL,Keele maybe,Newcastle maybe

How much extra curricular should I have??? I am thinking about doing EPQ
When should I get work experience?
When should I take UKCAT/BMAT and start revising for it??
Will keeping 4 alevels help me out and give me an advantage (Biology,Chemistry,Maths,History)
Reply 24
Original post by SuperHuman98
Your opinions on my GCSE grades?

1A* (History), 4As, 6BS

A in english lang
A in additional science
B in Core science (did 1 year early)
B in maths :frown:

So I am thinking about universities like Imperial,UCL,Keele maybe,Newcastle maybe

How much extra curricular should I have??? I am thinking about doing EPQ
When should I get work experience?
When should I take UKCAT/BMAT and start revising for it??
Will keeping 4 alevels help me out and give me an advantage (Biology,Chemistry,Maths,History)

Get work experience as soon as but it doesmt have to be anything demanding.
Extra curricular isnt about how much u do and how impressive it is its more what you do to relax and make you an interesting person.
Ukcat is usually taken in august revise for it sbout 6 weeks before hand.
The 4 a levels -No not really especially if damages ur A2 grades. I did the same AS's as you and although i loved them i dont think i couldve kept maths at A2 without damaging my other grades.
Your gcse results are good but not good enough for gcse heavy university but dont worry theres still alot that would take you on them.
Good luck
Original post by Lannew1
Get work experience as soon as but it doesmt have to be anything demanding.
Extra curricular isnt about how much u do and how impressive it is its more what you do to relax and make you an interesting person.
Ukcat is usually taken in august revise for it sbout 6 weeks before hand.
The 4 a levels -No not really especially if damages ur A2 grades. I did the same AS's as you and although i loved them i dont think i couldve kept maths at A2 without damaging my other grades.
Your gcse results are good but not good enough for gcse heavy university but dont worry theres still alot that would take you on them.
Good luck

so I know that Oxford,Birmingham are gcse heavy are there any other gcse heavy unis?
Reply 26
Original post by SuperHuman98
so I know that Oxford,Birmingham are gcse heavy are there any other gcse heavy unis?

Cardiff
Lancaster
Liverpool
Bristol
Sheffield
Most london ones
Some of these arnt heavy but ud need to be scored via a piont system where ud need at lease 6A's
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by am_16
Does it matter if the A in english is lit or lang? (i got an A in lit, B in lang). Some unis specify english lang but others just say english so i'm slightly confused

Assume that it means English Language if it just says 'English' without qualification. They need to know that you're basically literate, not how good you are at analysing poetry.
Reply 28
In need of some advice...
im applying to the uk for medicine as an international student.
im not a brilliant student.
i got the following grades in GCSE's:
[5A's and 4B's
A's in: english, maths, chemistry and religious studies
i got a B in physics, biology and the rest of the subjects.
my predicted grades for Alevels are really good.
but my UKCAT score was average. :2300
WHICH UNIS SHOULD I APPLY TO KEEPING IN MIND THE HIGHEST CHANCES OF GETTING AN ACCEPTANCE??
please help as soon as possible
Original post by makhan00
In need of some advice...
im applying to the uk for medicine as an international student.
im not a brilliant student.
i got the following grades in GCSE's:
[5A's and 4B's
A's in: english, maths, chemistry and religious studies
i got a B in physics, biology and the rest of the subjects.

my predicted grades for Alevels are really good.
but my UKCAT score was average. :2300
WHICH UNIS SHOULD I APPLY TO KEEPING IN MIND THE HIGHEST CHANCES OF GETTING AN ACCEPTANCE??
please help as soon as possible

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Guys, I got:
4 A's (Maths, Science Core, Science Additional, Geography)
1 B (Statistics)
2 C's (English Lang, Health and social care)
1 D (Product Design)

Do I have any chance of getting into any medical school??
My work experience is in DPD but I am doing a week in Lloyds Pharmacy
Original post by asinghj
Guys, I got:
4 A's (Maths, Science Core, Science Additional, Geography)
1 B (Statistics)
2 C's (English Lang, Health and social care)
1 D (Product Design)

Do I have any chance of getting into any medical school??
My work experience is in DPD but I am doing a week in Lloyds Pharmacy

You'll need to resit that C in English Language to bring it up to at least a B, if not an A. Subsequently, if you avoid the medical schools that use your GCSEs to shortlist for interview, you'll be fine.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements
Original post by Hydeman
You'll need to resit that C in English Language to bring it up to at least a B, if not an A. Subsequently, if you avoid the medical schools that use your GCSEs to shortlist for interview, you'll be fine.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

But my college doesn't let us do GCSEs and a leves at the same time... Can you please tell me since med schools that 'don't care' about gcse?? Also if I'm correct, need schools don't like gcse retakes right???
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by asinghj
But my college doesn't let us do GCSEs and a leves at the same time... Can you please tell me since med schools that 'don't care' about gcse?? Also if I'm correct, need schools don't like gcse retakes right???

Then find another college that will let you do it privately. If you look at that link in my previous post, you'll see that most medical schools require a B or better in English Language. Even the ones that say they want a C are likely to get applications from very well-qualified applicants and there's no point restricting your choice to those anyway so it's in your best interest to resit. Medical schools aren't too fussed about GCSE resits; it's post-A2 resits that they have a real problem with.

It would be nice if you'd take the time to read the links I'm giving you. Then you wouldn't need to ask me which medical schools 'don't care' about GCSEs.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Original post by Hydeman
Then find another college that will let you do it privately. If you look at that link in my previous post, you'll see that most medical schools require a B or better in English Language. Even the ones that say they want a C are likely to get applications from very well-qualified applicants and there's no point restricting your choice to those anyway so it's in your best interest to resit. Medical schools aren't too fussed about GCSE resits; it's post-A2 resits that they have a real problem with.

It would be nice if you'd take the time to read the links I'm giving you. Then you wouldn't need to ask me which medical schools 'don't care' about GCSEs.

Thx a lot mate, i read through those pages.. Also I've question if you don't mind me asking, do i just call and ask random colleges near my area to see if they allow me to retake English?? Also do u think it might be too late to start GCSE now (after half term most likely)?? Again thx a lot
Original post by asinghj
Thx a lot mate, i read through those pages.. Also I've question if you don't mind me asking, do i just call and ask random colleges near my area to see if they allow me to retake English?? Also do u think it might be too late to start GCSE now (after half term most likely)?? Again thx a lot

It would be better to look at their websites first and see if the advice tells you whether they allow resits there -- if it says explicitly on the website that they don't take people looking to resit, then you should save everybody some time and don't bother calling unless you're unsure about something. Do call if you're unsure about anything from the website.

Any colleges that let you resit will likely expect you to pay for a private resit with no formal teaching so it isn't a question of 'starting.' You just need to get them to enter you for it, pay the appropriate fees before the deadline, and then turn up for the exam.
Original post by Hydeman
It would be better to look at their websites first and see if the advice tells you whether they allow resits there -- if it says explicitly on the website that they don't take people looking to resit, then you should save everybody some time and don't bother calling unless you're unsure about something. Do call if you're unsure about anything from the website.

Any colleges that let you resit will likely expect you to pay for a private resit with no formal teaching so it isn't a question of 'starting.' You just need to get them to enter you for it, pay the appropriate fees before the deadline, and then turn up for the exam.

Thx a lot, really appreciate your help
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering whether or not my GCSEs are good enough for medicine.
4a* (French, maths & double science)
4a. (English literature, geog, t&d & ict)
1b. (English Lang)

Will the b in language hinder my chances much?
Original post by Padraig14
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering whether or not my GCSEs are good enough for medicine.
4a* (French, maths & double science)
4a. (English literature, geog, t&d & ict)
1b. (English Lang)

Will the b in language hinder my chances much?

Your GCSEs are fine for most medical schools.
All you need to do is apply strategically.
To put this into perspective, I received all 4 interview invites last year with 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rickstahhh
Your GCSEs are fine for most medical schools.
All you need to do is apply strategically.
To put this into perspective, I received all 4 interview invites last year with 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where exactly did you apply to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending