The Student Room Group

Being a twin...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eigo-Jin
I try not to but it really hit me hard around my GCSE results day. The first thing that came out of people's mouths were "how did your twin do?", they didn't even inquire of my own results. Then they compared us-this really broke into our relationship as twins.
I didn't realise until then how much everybody compared us-teachers and students alike. Afterwards, it came more apparent to me, but I try my best to ignore it.

That is sad, yeah do ignore it. You shouldn't be compared tbh, because you are two different individuals.
Reply 21
Original post by XcitingStuart
I've noticed, with twins, people erode their individualism and make the twins "an item", also incomplete without their other.

Which probably creates the competitiveness-who can be noticed more, to stand out and be more of an individual.
I'm a twinless twin so count your chickens
Original post by aamirac
Yes! Literally like this all the time. Doesn't help if you are Asian either.

Sad times eh
Im a twin (non identical, both girls)
it doesnt feel that way to me
Sometimes it just feels like my life is one big competition.
I love my twin, but everything to him is just a competition-getting the best grades, having the most money, being the most successful. It just gets tiresome time to time.
Similar experiences? comments, anyone?

I am like this to my twin sister :-)
Reply 26
Sometimes it just feels like my life is one big competition.
I love my twin, but everything to him is just a competition-getting the best grades, having the most money, being the most successful. It just gets tiresome time to time.
Similar experiences? comments, anyone?

Life has always been a competition - we've always tried to go one step further than the other, even though we're polar opposites. Going to different secondary schools was a huge relief though.

The worst thing about it is being referred to as one entity - I'm not just "the quiet/clever/socially awkward one" - I am a person of my own. Seeing other twins identified like this frustrates me so much because I know how bad it makes that person feel. Every time I tell people to stop doing it all I hear is "but they're basically the same anyway" - how about you just get to know them, then you'll see they're not!!! :angry:
Reply 27
Original post by panda14
Life has always been a competition - we've always tried to go one step further than the other, even though we're polar opposites. Going to different secondary schools was a huge relief though.

The worst thing about it is being referred to as one entity - I'm not just "the quiet/clever/socially awkward one" - I am a person of my own. Seeing other twins identified like this frustrates me so much because I know how bad it makes that person feel. Every time I tell people to stop doing it all I hear is "but they're basically the same anyway" - how about you just get to know them, then you'll see they're not!!! :angry:

It's ignorance. Oh wow, two people born on the same day that may look similar? They might as well be one person. This is really infuriating, I agree.
Reply 28
Original post by jamestg
I am like this to my twin sister :-)

How do you feel about it? A good thing? A bad thing? Perhaps a mixture of both?
How do you feel about it? A good thing? A bad thing? Perhaps a mixture of both?

I think it's a good thing and is all part of character development.
I'm going to sound like a nutcase but have you ever shared a dream/nightmare with your twin? Anyone?
No. I am a female, he's male. I forget the name of these kind of twins...
Fraternal.

I can imagine it must be very tough for you. My sister and her twin brother don't have that kind of problem, though, as they have entirely separate lives now.
Original post by Zargabaath
:eek: 4 siblings?! You're a stronger man than I, for sure. I have have a younger sister and even that gets crazy at times.
That's all? I'm the sixth of seven :rofl:
I am a twin, and it is tiresome. Its annoying how people I have known for like 6 years can still get my name wrong, and every time they do its my fault. Also, at every single parents evening some teacher compares my progress with his, be it better or worse. And on another note, whenever any of my brother's classmates are looking for him they always come straight to me and say "Where is your brother?" or something similar. I know just as much as they do, but they assume I have some sort of psychic connection to him and I must know his whereabouts 24/7. And no, it won't be "funny to switch classes with him and see how long it takes people to notice", because my friends will notice instantly.

Rant over. Good day sir.
Attachment not found
Reply 35
Original post by SeaSquab
I am a twin, and it is tiresome. Its annoying how people I have known for like 6 years can still get my name wrong, and every time they do its my fault. Also, at every single parents evening some teacher compares my progress with his, be it better or worse. And on another note, whenever any of my brother's classmates are looking for him they always come straight to me and say "Where is your brother?" or something similar. I know just as much as they do, but they assume I have some sort of psychic connection to him and I must know his whereabouts 24/7. And no, it won't be "funny to switch classes with him and see how long it takes people to notice", because my friends will notice instantly.

Rant over. Good day sir.

Ugh, I feel ya. I think it's unprofessional for teachers to compare results but, suddenly, it's ok just because you're twins. Which damages the relationship somewhat.

Yeah, people will always have stereotypes of twins, so it's best to ignore the whole "twin connection" thing before it makes your head explode.
Reply 36
Original post by godivaontherocks
I'm going to sound like a nutcase but have you ever shared a dream/nightmare with your twin? Anyone?

Not that I'm aware of. Although my mother did say that me and my brother shared a "language" when we were very young-which is called cryptophasia. You should look it up, it's very interesting :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Tootles
That's all? I'm the sixth of seven :rofl:

I'm the second of eight. I think i win :colonhash:
Not that I'm aware of. Although my mother did say that me and my brother shared a "language" when we were very young-which is called cryptophasia. You should look it up, it's very interesting :smile:

I just googled that, thank you. That is incredible! I think I might just do some reading into that. Do you recall any memory of it? Or were you both too young maybe?
Reply 39
Original post by godivaontherocks
I just googled that, thank you. That is incredible! I think I might just do some reading into that. Do you recall any memory of it? Or were you both too young maybe?

I asked my mother. She said that it just sounded like gibberish to her but we were talking to each other. We also used to have stories with imaginary animals and characters that we only knew about despite never discussing the physical appearance or characteristics of any of them (which is quite creepy haha). Me and my brother actually remember this and still talk about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending