The Student Room Group

How are IGCSE and Alevels grades converted to enter u.k unis?

If anyone has any genuine info relating to the topic please inform...
Reply 1
What do you mean by "converted"?
Reply 2
Well...you see universities in p.k dont just take u in with grades as that.Students who have the IGCSE and A Levels qualification need to have as many A*s as possible to get in a good university there cuz well there is a reduction on overall grades achieved. I just wanted to know how they work that out....i mean what percentage of reduction is applied....and well, how the whole conversion stuff works :biggrin:
Reply 3
and i mean "P.k" as in Pakistan not U.K :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 4
idk how the title got messed up. I'm sure i typed p.k...:/
Reply 5
Geez...How do i edit the thread title..? I'm sorry if anyone comes in thinkin' its "u.k" :s-smilie:
Original post by Wishah
Well...you see universities in p.k dont just take u in with grades as that.Students who have the IGCSE and A Levels qualification need to have as many A*s as possible to get in a good university there cuz well there is a reduction on overall grades achieved. I just wanted to know how they work that out....i mean what percentage of reduction is applied....and well, how the whole conversion stuff works :biggrin:

The entry requirements for UK courses will be different for each university and for each subject. There is no "reduction" applied in the criteria, although some subjects (e.g. Critical Thinking A-level, General Studies A-level) might be ignored in assessing your application to some universities.

It would be helpful if you gave a specific example of what you want to study and where - e.g. medicine at Cambridge, History at Kent etc.

Some courses are very flexible with entry requirements - e.g. any 3 A-levels at BBB, with English GCSE at grade C (and your iGCSE grade would also be tested on the actual grade achieved, if awarded by a UK examinations body); other very competitive courses might well take applicants with typically 7 A*s at GCSE.

Edit - apologies, you want to apply to Pakistan universities?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Holmstock
The entry requirements for UK courses will be different for each university and for each subject. There is no "reduction" applied in the criteria, although some subjects (e.g. Critical Thinking A-level, General Studies A-level) might be ignored in assessing your application to some universities.

It would be helpful if you gave a specific example of what you want to study and where - e.g. medicine at Cambridge, History at Kent etc.

Some courses are very flexible with entry requirements - e.g. any 3 A-levels at BBB, with English GCSE at grade C (and your iGCSE grade would also be tested on the actual grade achieved, if awarded by a UK examinations body); other very competitive courses might well take applicants with typically 7 A*s at GCSE.

Edit - apologies, you want to apply to Pakistan universities?

heh heh yes... I'm still trying to figure out how to rename/edit the thread title... But anyways thanks..
Original post by Wishah
heh heh yes... I'm still trying to figure out how to rename/edit the thread title... But anyways thanks..

you are from pakistan? that's so cool! we have so many international students here. what subjects are you doing at A-levels? and which exam boards are you with?
Reply 9
Original post by ~Seraphina~
you are from pakistan? that's so cool! we have so many international students here. what subjects are you doing at A-levels? and which exam boards are you with?

:biggrin: I'm giving Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.. its my AS Level year..so yeah i just started :smile: I've done my IGCSEs....

Quick Reply

Latest