The Student Room Group

Occupation on insurance.

I'm a student, but also sort of a freelance graphic editor.

In the employment section, am I allowed to put as a self-employed occupation, rather than putting down fulltime education?

What are the requirements? Thanks
Either can be true, unless "freelance" means a couple of jobs done for mates.

I would use an online site as a tester to see the effect.
Certain jobs rake up the premium and freelance anything may scare the company
Reply 2
Original post by domonict
Either can be true, unless "freelance" means a couple of jobs done for mates.

I would use an online site as a tester to see the effect.
Certain jobs rake up the premium and freelance anything may scare the company

There is no freelance option, unfortunately.
Generally your job has no effect on your driving. Actual driving jobs aside, I cant think of any work that would reduce your safety operating a car. Whether your an RAF pilot or a FLT driver, cant see why one would require a higher premium than the other based purely on the types of work. I suppose they might look at how stressing a type of work is or some other bollux.
Reply 4
Original post by Laomedeia
Generally your job has no effect on your driving. Actual driving jobs aside, I cant think of any work that would reduce your safety operating a car. Whether your an RAF pilot or a FLT driver, cant see why one would require a higher premium than the other based purely on the types of work. I suppose they might look at how stressing a type of work is or some other bollux.

They use a whole load of statistics to make up there quotes most of which are meaningless to the average person. Stupid things have been known to put quotes up such as non-fault accidents, job title, the time of the month/week you get the policy. I have even heard of some people having their insurance REDUCED after recieving motoring convictions (it was an SP30), simply because some statistics algorithm said they would be less likely to claim.

There are was you can play the system and shave a few quid off your premium because of this. Policy date is one. Policies taken out in the middle of the week tend to be cheaper. Quotes tend to be at there cheapest when they are given 3 weeks in advance.

Job title. This is the bit where you can get REALLY creative and its entirely legal. For instance my last job I was a recovery driver/mechanic. So after putting those 2 titles in mechanic quoted me £10 cheaper, after playing around a little more I found by changing my title to Vehicle Technician it knocked another couple of quid off. If your unemployed you can get MASSIVE savings from doing this, listing yourself as a housewife/husband, handyman(self employed) or volunteer worker(if you do this) all net significant savings.

A good example for student is the numerous titles you can get. Mature student - living away is the one I use as I found it netted a small discount over the other full time student titles. And atleast for my situation (I left school and worked for 3/4 years) I can see it being very difficult for them to argue that this isnt a correct title.
Reply 5
Original post by CAElite
They use a whole load of statistics to make up there quotes most of which are meaningless to the average person. Stupid things have been known to put quotes up such as non-fault accidents, job title, the time of the month/week you get the policy. I have even heard of some people having their insurance REDUCED after recieving motoring convictions (it was an SP30), simply because some statistics algorithm said they would be less likely to claim.

There are was you can play the system and shave a few quid off your premium because of this. Policy date is one. Policies taken out in the middle of the week tend to be cheaper. Quotes tend to be at there cheapest when they are given 3 weeks in advance.

Job title. This is the bit where you can get REALLY creative and its entirely legal. For instance my last job I was a recovery driver/mechanic. So after putting those 2 titles in mechanic quoted me £10 cheaper, after playing around a little more I found by changing my title to Vehicle Technician it knocked another couple of quid off. If your unemployed you can get MASSIVE savings from doing this, listing yourself as a housewife/husband, handyman(self employed) or volunteer worker(if you do this) all net significant savings.

A good example for student is the numerous titles you can get. Mature student - living away is the one I use as I found it netted a small discount over the other full time student titles. And atleast for my situation (I left school and worked for 3/4 years) I can see it being very difficult for them to argue that this isnt a correct title.

Any other tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending