The Student Room Group

(k+1)(k+1)!

Hi, as part of a proof through induction question, I have (k+1)(k+1)!, the answer for which is given as 1+(k+1)!, could anyone please explain why this is the case?

Scroll to see replies

Could you elaborate a bit more, because what you have described is super vague...
Reply 2
Original post by Star-girl
Could you elaborate a bit more, because what you have described is super vague...

Ok, sorry for the confusion: (k+1)(k+1)!= 1+(k+1)! but how is that the case
Original post by bojbtij
Ok, sorry for the confusion: (k+1)(k+1)!= 1+(k+1)! but how is that the case

It isn't.

Would you mind posting the whole question?
Reply 4
I would but I have no idea how to use sigma notation on here

It isn't.

Would you mind posting the whole question?
Original post by bojbtij
I would but I have no idea how to use sigma notation on here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/LaTex
Reply 6
Prove through induction that r=1nrr!=(n+1)!1\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n r*r! =(n+1)!-1
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by bojbtij
Prove through induction that r=1nrr!=(n+1)!1\displaystyle\sum_{r=1}^n r*r! =(n+1)!-1

If you add the (k+1)th term to the right hand side (subbing n for k) then can you go from there?
Original post by bojbtij

OK. So what have you done so far? Work me through and we can maybe see where you might have gone wrong. :smile:
Reply 10
Yes thank you both, a bit of an issue going from (k+1)!(k+2)-1 to (k+2)!-1 though

Original post by Wunderbarr
If you add the (k+1)th term to the right hand side (subbing n for k) then can you go from there?
Reply 11
OK. So what have you done so far? Work me through and we can maybe see where you might have gone wrong. :smile:

All is well up until the last step i.e. (k+1)!(k+2)-1 to (k+2)!-1
Original post by bojbtij
Yes thank you both, a bit of an issue going from (k+1)!(k+2)-1 to (k+2)!-1 though

What is the definition of n!?
Reply 13
n*(n-1)*(n-2)...*3*2*1?

Original post by 16Characters....
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by bojbtij
n+(n-1)+(n-2)+...+3+2+1?

Not quite, n!=n(n1)(n2)...1 n! = n(n-1)(n-2)...1 . So multiplication not addition.
Reply 15

Oh right, got it, thank you!
Reply 16
Not quite, n!=n(n1)(n2)...1 n! = n(n-1)(n-2)...1 . So multiplication not addition.

Yeah sorry, bit of a lapse
Reply 17
Original post by bojbtij
All is well up until the last step i.e. (k+1)!(k+2)-1 to (k+2)!-1

(k+1)!=?(k+1)!=?
Original post by bojbtij

You haven't done anything wrong - there is just a small thing you haven't realised. What is (k+2)(k+1)! ? Think about it.
Reply 19
You haven't done anything wrong - there is just a small thing you haven't realised. What is (k+2)(k+1)! ? Think about it.

Original post by Andy98
(k+1)!=?(k+1)!=?

Yeah thanks it's just (k+2)(k+1)...3(2)(1), I think

Quick Reply

Latest