The Student Room Group

Marriage in church but not religious

My partner and I are both not religious however we'd both like to get married in our local area. Unfortunately the only place licensed for weddings in our village is the local church.

I note that legally anyone can get married in that church as long as you live or have connections with the parish, however I'd guess the service would still have mention/commitment to god etc.

What are your thoughts on getting married in a church if you're not religious? To us it is a beautiful historic building in our village which we both love living in, however I know some people might be against non-religious people using it?

Scroll to see replies

I personally see nothing wrong with it as long as the church are fine with it too.
Reply 2
If the church is fine with letting you get married there and youre fine with the way they get people married then go for it. Otherwise find some place else.
Reply 3
Original post by saeed97
If the church is fine with letting you get married there

They don't have a choice, its a legal requirement for CoE churches.
I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it, which is a shame because churches are beautiful, but I'm kinda anti-theist. Nature is probably the best alternative I'd say.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
They don't have a choice, its a legal requirement for CoE churches.

So are you fine with the way their service is provided?
Reply 6
My partner and I are both not religious however we'd both like to get married in our local area. Unfortunately the only place licensed for weddings in our village is the local church.

I note that legally anyone can get married in that church as long as you live or have connections with the parish, however I'd guess the service would still have mention/commitment to god etc.

What are your thoughts on getting married in a church if you're not religious? To us it is a beautiful historic building in our village which we both love living in, however I know some people might be against non-religious people using it?

I see no problem with it except if you will be attempting to dictate to the obviously religious church reverend that you do not want mention of God during your service. That would be nonsense.

You can pay for the licenced marriage officer from the town hall to attend any venue for whatever the set price is. Look into that and maybe even hire the church premises without the reverend if possible (we did this as we had our own family pastor).
Friends of mine got married in a 12th century barn with a celebrant. Neither the barn nor the celebrant was licences but they had a civil ceremony on the quiet the day before.
Reply 8

As a man of faith and regular churchgoer, I would be inclined to discourage non-Christian people from marrying in church: why would you need blessings from a god you don't believe in, and why would you waste a priest's time by making him pronounce those blessings? To be it seems too much like hipocrisy.

And there's no connections with the parish - one of you has to have lived within parish boundaries for at least six weeks. Unless they changed the law.
Reply 9
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
Why the **** should this country raise the Church of England above other religions by having a State religion, as well as allowing the CoE religion to be represented by unelected officials in the House of Lords?

Calm now M a D. The CofE isn't being imposed on anyone. Involvement or not is voluntary.
Original post by CCC75
Calm now M a D. The CofE isn't being imposed on anyone. Involvement or not is voluntary.

I am right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_Spiritual
I never really understandd non-religious people marrying in a church tbh but if it's the only feasible venue in your village, then that's more understandable. Besides, it doesn't really matter what I think anyway :tongue:
How has this turned into a fight about race? Take your issues elsewhere, a person talking about their marriage is not the place for this fight
Original post by georgiaswift
How has this turned into a fight about race? Take your issues elsewhere, a person talking about their marriage is not the place for this fight

He randomly accuses me of being a foreigner because my username is Arabic (I am not even Arabic ethically) and then he thinks he deserves more rights

My main point is that given the fact that the Church of England is the state religion and is afforded privileges above other religions, any British citizen should be eligible to have a wedding at a CoE Church more like it's a public building for hire rather than a true religious building.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
My grandfather was drafted into the British Army and became a captain

You have nothing on me, you are just some dumb ****ing chav who thinks he is owed ****

Original post by Tootles
I bet your family didn't take part in the events that made this country :rolleyes:

Take your pissing-contest mentality and **** off, you're taking away from the point in this thread.

You both sound ridiculous, please stop.

The thread is about a non-religious couple exploring the option of being married in a CofE church. Take this race bullsh*t elsewhere.
Reply 15

My main point is that given the fact that the Church of England is the state religion and is afforded privileges above other religions, any British citizen should be eligible to have a wedding at a CoE Church more like it's a public building for hire rather than a true religious building.

Which is exactly as it is. Anyone can approach a CofE church and request to be married there. But most have a set marriage format. If you don't like the format, why would you approach that venue?
Original post by CCC75
Which is exactly as it is. Anyone can approach a CofE church and request to be married there. But most have a set marriage format. If you don't like the format, why would you approach that venue?

The building should be for hire, if I want to tell the priest to gtfo and replace him with a Gay, Atheist, transsexual, Hindu Brahman to give a service in Klingon, if I pay the money, that should be my right.
Original post by Tootles
As a man of faith and regular churchgoer, I would be inclined to discourage non-Christian people from marrying in church: why would you need blessings from a god you don't believe in, and why would you waste a priest's time by making him pronounce those blessings? To be it seems too much like hipocrisy.

And there's no connections with the parish - one of you has to have lived within parish boundaries for at least six weeks. Unless they changed the law.

The connection can also be if your parents lived in that parish.
The connection can also be if your parents lived in that parish.
Ah, OK - I didn't know that.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I never really understandd non-religious people marrying in a church tbh but if it's the only feasible venue in your village, then that's more understandable. Besides, it doesn't really matter what I think anyway :tongue:

That is pretty much the only reason. We would both like to be married in our village and it's the only venue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending