The Student Room Group

GCSE Further Maths

Hi I'm in Y11 doing maths and further maths I'm trying to revise for further maths does anyone know where I can find past papers for Edexcel also is it hard to get an A/A* in it? :s-smilie:
Original post by I need starbucks
Hi I'm in Y11 doing maths and further maths I'm trying to revise for further maths does anyone know where I can find past papers for Edexcel also is it hard to get an A/A* in it? :s-smilie:

There doesn't seem to be a GCSE Further Mathematics qualification in Edexcel's list. Is it international ?

Edit; Check this link for Past Paper materials. First your the level and then the qualification
(edited 8 years ago)
If you're on edexcel, here's a link to their past papers (they have an igcse in fm). http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathematics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc

But I think its more common to do fm with AQA, which is a level 2 certificate. I did it last year, and yes it is tough, but the grade boundaries are low. (I think you had to get something like 15% for a c... then about 67% for an a*). With AQA you can get an a^, which i think was about 85%. I did as many past papers as I could get my hands on, and made sure I was familiar with the wording of the questions. So for gcse maths, the paper might ask "solve these 2 simultaneous equations" whereas for fm you might have a simultaneous equations question where you had to work out it was asking for you to solve simultaneous equations. If i'm honest, i found the different way of thinking harder than the additional content (which for aqa is mainly differentiation and a bit on matrices). Good luck :smile:
i didnt think you could do future maths at gcse?
i know you can do future maths at a level
Original post by ifyouseelaura
If you're on edexcel, here's a link to their past papers (they have an igcse in fm). [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathematics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathematics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc

But I think its more common to do fm with AQA, which is a level 2 certificate. I did it last year, and yes it is tough, but the grade boundaries are low. (I think you had to get something like 15% for a c... then about 67% for an a*). With AQA you can get an a^, which i think was about 85%. I did as many past papers as I could get my hands on, and made sure I was familiar with the wording of the questions. So for gcse maths, the paper might ask "solve these 2 simultaneous equations" whereas for fm you might have a simultaneous equations question where you had to work out it was asking for you to solve simultaneous equations. If i'm honest, i found the different way of thinking harder than the additional content (which for aqa is mainly differentiation and a bit on matrices). Good luck :smile:

thanks! :smile: do you know if its possible to do edecel normal maths and aqa further because I know for definite that the exam board for the normal maths I'm doing is edexcel?
I do edexcel iGCSE maths and AQA (technically a level 2 certificate) further maths.

This is the best place to revise and get past papers for AQA fm: http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsefm.htm

The grade boundaries are actually really low. They've stayed about the same each year, and as you can see on the website, for June 2013:

C = 33
B = 60
A = 87
A* = 118
A^ = 149
Max = 175

So for an A you only need about 50% and for an A* only around 65%.
Reply 6
Original post by I need starbucks
do you know if its possible to do edecel normal maths and aqa further

Yes you can. It's quite common.
Reply 7
Original post by ifyouseelaura
If you're on edexcel, here's a link to their past papers (they have an igcse in fm). [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathematics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc"]http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=International-GCSE&Qualification-Subject=Further%20Pure%20Mathematics%20(2009)&Status=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:tatus%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsC&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK:s-smilie:pecification-Code%2Figcse-mathsc

This. The question style is very different, and where you may find the timing on normal maths easy, it gets much more difficult at further maths. I took it (AQA) and got an A^ (exactly the mark needed, 140 (2015)).

My advice would be to nail the differentiation, because it is actually so easy, so you can gain loads of marks that way, and then just do past papers, so you can recognise the questions, learn how to prove things properly and just learn the actual maths needed, although I wouldn't suggest doing them yet!

Quick Reply

Latest