The Student Room Group

Marriage in church but not religious

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Masih ad-Dajjal
The building should be for hire, if I want to tell the priest to gtfo and replace him with a Gay, Atheist, transsexual, Hindu Brahman to give a service in Klingon, if I pay the money, that should be my right.

Is that the procedure of synagogues, mosques and temples? Anyone can hire the buildings and do as they like?
Original post by CCC75
Is that the procedure of synagogues, mosques and temples? Anyone can hire the buildings and do as they like?

The state religion is CoE which is why this should be the case here and only here, if Rabbi or an Imam or Pujari wants to do let out his building, it should be his choice.

EDIT: Non CoE Christian Churches should also have the choice, I am not singling out Christianity so please do not think this is why I am holding this opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
The state religion is CoE which is why this should be the case here and only here, if Rabbi or an Imam or Pujari wants to do let out his building, it should be his choice.

EDIT: Non CoE Christian Churches should also have the choice, I am not singling out Christianity so please do not think this is why I am holding this opinion.

Until you added your edit I was going to ask that you explain your train of thought. Fair enough, your opinion is that the official state religion of all countries should be run like a public service. Interesting.
Original post by CCC75
Until you added your edit I was going to ask that you explain your train of thought. Fair enough, your opinion is that the official state religion of all countries should be run like a public service. Interesting.

Yes, that is my point.

Your profile says you are Caribbean, I don't know what your personal beliefs are, but I do know there are lots of non-CoE Protestant Parishes in Caribbean countries, ministers who run them should have the choice there.
Reply 24
The building should be for hire, if I want to tell the priest to gtfo and replace him with a Gay, Atheist, transsexual, Hindu Brahman to give a service in Klingon, if I pay the money, that should be my right.

It's a religious building not a hotel or something. It has a special meaning to Christians as it is a holy place and more than just a pretty building. It's not necessarily for hire. The money isn't necessarily the primary motivation for the church.

The church is well within it's rights to say yes you can get married here, but only if you are married by a vicar and follow a specific service.

Don't like it? Marry somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
It's a religious building not a hotel or something. It has a special meaning to Christians as it is a holy place and more than just a pretty building. It's not necessarily for hire. The money isn't necessarily the primary motivation for the church.

The church is well within it's rights to say yes you can get married here, but only if you are married by a vicar and follow a specific service.

Don't like it? Marry somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they don't like it, they should give up all legal privileges they enjoy
I am surprised there is not an alternative. When the idea of castles and halls and other non-religious buildings being licensed was put forward, I was all in favour. If neither of you are religious to any degree, it seems wrong to be making vows to a God whom you do not believe in.
Reply 27
If they don't like it, they should give up all legal privileges they enjoy

What are the legal privileges that the CofE church enjoy, M a D?
Original post by CCC75

Their own planning system.

The right to conduct marriages without some of the formalities that apply to other religious groups and secular marriages.

26 seats in the House of Lords

1 seat in Tynwald

The obligation on certain landowners to repair chancels of the Church

shallI go on...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Anonymous
What are your thoughts on getting married in a church if you're not religious?
If you are atheist, it is hypocrisy. If you simply have no religion, then it's just a building.

And the vicar will be smiling with his mouth, but not with his eyes.
Original post by CCC75

Really? Calling me mad?

Stupid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_Spiritual

They get 26 Bishops in the House of Lords, unelected, influencing UK law
Reply 31
And ditto for synagogues, temples and mosques?
Original post by Simes
And ditto for synagogues, temples and mosques?

I explained before, they are not the established religion so no, but non-CoE Churches should also be exempt, this is not an anti-Christian argument.
Original post by Anonymous
They don't have a choice, its a legal requirement for CoE churches.

Yeah I know. Used to be you couldn't get married unless it was in an Anglican Church. Now though the government has destroyed the Church so it forced to marry anyone. Signaling the death of the nation.
Reply 34
I explained before, they are not the established religion so no, but non-CoE Churches should also be exempt, this is not an anti-Christian argument.

Sounds like an anti-Co-of-E and anti-Semitic rant.

One has also been allowed to marry in synagogues and the Chief Rabbi is also in the House of Lords. It is not just the C-of-E with the special privileges you want to throw down.

Were you aware that the family of a deceased person has the right to have any Christian burial service from any minister in a Church of England churchyard?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/43-44/41/section/6
Original post by Simes
Sounds like an anti-Co-of-E and anti-Semitic rant.

One has also been allowed to marry in synagogues and the Chief Rabbi is also in the House of Lords. It is not just the C-of-E with the special privileges you want to throw down.

How antisemitic?

What do Jewish people have to do with CoE? I am aware Judaism and Islam get special privileges in that they are allowed to run Rabbinical and Shariah courts.

Original post by nulli tertius
Were you aware that the family of a deceased person has the right to have any Christian burial service from any minister in a Church of England churchyard?http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/43-44/41/section/6

I wasn't, but I agree, it is the state religion so it should be more open and inclusive than other religions?
Original post by william walker
Yeah I know. Used to be you couldn't get married unless it was in an Anglican Church. Now though the government has destroyed the Church so it forced to marry anyone. Signaling the death of the nation.

Rubbish.

The only period during which marriage in a CofE was compulsory (other than for Quakers and Jews) was 1753 to 1837. The right to marry in your parish church pre-dates the idea that anyone might not be a member of the national Church.
Original post by nulli tertius
Rubbish.

The only period during which marriage in a CofE was compulsory (other than for Quakers and Jews) was 1753 to 1837. The right to marry in your parish church pre-dates the idea that anyone might not be a member of the national Church.

So what I said was correct then.
Original post by william walker
So what I said was correct then.

No.

You said

Now though the government ... it forced to marry anyone.

Only if you mean the government of Alfred the Great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending