The Student Room Group

Unsure What A levels to choose?

I've narrowed it down to a short list of seven Business, Economics, History, Government & Politics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I need help deciding I was wandering if anyone has done any of these subjects at A level and did you enjoy them, How difficult are they? thank you for reading.
Do you have any idea what you would like to study at university (if you're planning to apply to university that is)? :smile:
Reply 2
Economics and maths definitely other two you can decided
Reply 3
Original post by Leviathan1741
Do you have any idea what you would like to study at university (if you're planning to apply to university that is)? :smile:

No not really
Reply 4
I wouldn't advise you to take both Business and Economics at the same time. Some universities would accept you to take one or the other, but not both (for economics/finance related courses). Can't remember which though
Original post by rogerwildb
No not really

That's okay, if you aren't sure, the best thing to do is to choose the subjects which you enjoy most, and think you will get the best grades in :smile:
So Business, Economics, History, Government & Politics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

I would drop Business and Government & Politics from that list as they aren't really facilitating nor even preferable for any course, unless you have a burning desire to do G&P in which case it's okay. I wouldn't recommend Business, though.

That leaves you with Economics, History, Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

Beyond that I'd drop whichever you find least interesting, though I recommend you don't drop Maths, though you can if you want to.
Reply 7
Anyone done any of the courses for as or a level?
Doing Politics now (AS) and the thing is, you need to have a SERIOUS interest for it in order to do well. Politics was my 4th subject out of Psych, Sociology and EngLit (to do Psychology at Uni) and I had switched from Economics to Politics because I had picked Economics for the wrong reasons completely. I found that I picked it more so for my University and a broader range of subjects than for me and what I want, and so ended up not enjoying it at all after the first 3 hours and dropping it xD.

Politics (AQA) is, at least at AS, in all honesty, just textbook. Learnt the textbook, learn recent examples of Politics in the media etc and you're good. I love it though because it is extremely interesting. To know what the heck actually happens in Parliament when the publics back is turned is amazing being able to understand debates and problems the country faces is even better.

As mentioned before, Business and Econ is not recommended at all. I'm not sure why and had no incentive of doing them together but from what my school have mentioned, universities do not favour this link very much.

I hope i've helped?
Original post by rogerwildb
I've narrowed it down to a short list of seven Business, Economics, History, Government & Politics, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I need help deciding I was wandering if anyone has done any of these subjects at A level and did you enjoy them, How difficult are they? thank you for reading.

Im doing Maths Biology and History to A2

Maths: easy if you enjoy it and naturally grasp concepts quickly, to do well: do 10000000 of exam questions.

Biology: a LOT to learn, mark schemes are picky so to do well: exam practice and memorise mark scheme answers.

History: also A lot to learn, mainly need to ace exam technique, to do well: create flashcards, posters etc on critical information and do practice essays.

All 3 require a lot of practice for a good grade, if I was going to do a rank from easiest to hardest I'd say:

Maths, Biology then History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am doing Maths, Chemistry and Biology and did AS Economics.

If you're good at the subject and put the effort in then you can do well. If you have a natural ability in maths then I would definitely recommend you take it, even if you don't you can still do well.

I really enjoy my subjects and also really enjoyed them at GCSE. However, GCSE and AS Economics are really different (for me that was a good thing, I preferred it at AS).

I haven't studied History since GCSE but, from observation, it seems like there is a hell of a lot to learn. But if you enjoy it and find it interesting that is not necessarily a bad thing. However, I have heard the exam is VERY hard.
Reply 11
Thanks to everyone who has already responded it is much appreciated
biology was complete and utter bull. Don't take history Pre U please it's horrific, Im sure A level is fine :smile: Government is great! Definitely an important an academic subject, don't let anyone deter you!!!!
NB. The worst thing you can do is take 2 sciences and 2 humanities to 'keep your options open'. Unless you are a freak genius it will NOT end well
Well I do History and there is so much content to learn with extensive detail. Plus all the answers are to be written in essay form so if you enjoy writing essays, History would be quite ideal. Also, it is a highly facilitating Alevel and is highly regarded by all unis. Personally, I would recommend considering the three STEM subjects you have mentioned, Economics and History because there would be a variety which could display your ability.

Quick Reply

Latest