The Student Room Group

Applicants to Medicine with a Foundation Year 2015 for 2016 Entry- A104, A191 etc...

This group is for those applying for Medicine on the 6-year programme with a Foundation year for 2016 entry.

The Foundations year, is offered by a number of universities and if you're applying for those courses, whether you're a school leaver, graduate or other...then this group is for you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ljholt
Making the jump and going for foundation year too.

My Stats:
GCSE: 8A* 2A
AS: AAAA (Bio, English Lit, Sociology, Graphics)
A2 Prediction: A*A*A* (Bio, English Lit, Sociology)
UKCAT: 655 Band 2

Applying to Manchester, Sheffield, Keele, Dundee and Bradford

Posted from TSR Mobile

My UKCAT score could have been better - it's high enough to apply for courses but too low to disclose without feeling ashamed, so we'll see. Keele is my first choice as they rely on experience and academic achievement so fingers crossed
Reply 2
Original post by Benny_Girl
My UKCAT score could have been better - it's high enough to apply for courses but too low to disclose without feeling ashamed, so we'll see. Keele is my first choice as they rely on experience and academic achievement so fingers crossed

Keele's R&R form isn't working either :/
Reply 3
Original post by ljholt
Keele's R&R form isn't working either :/

Yeah :-/ it's a case of calling them tomorrow morning.
All of my choices have foundation years. :smile:
I am applying for Manchester A104!

Nurse graduate from Spain with a high 2:1
A equivalents to A*A*A (bio/chemistry/maths)
As equivalents to A*A*A (bio/maths/chemistry&physics)
GCSE 8A* 2A
UKCAT 2610 (652.5)
Original post by macarenafc92
I am applying for Manchester A104!

Nurse graduate from Spain with a high 2:1
A equivalents to A*A*A (bio/chemistry/maths)
As equivalents to A*A*A (bio/maths/chemistry&physics)
GCSE 8A* 2A
UKCAT 2610 (652.5)

If we both get in is there any chance I could talk to you? Weird request I know but damn! I love Spain... wanna learn Spanish so bad.
Original post by Immunology
If we both get in is there any chance I could talk to you? Weird request I know but damn! I love Spain... wanna learn Spanish so bad.

hahaha no 'cause I'm going to be the asocial one..... Of course you can... I don't know how strong my application is...... the system is so different to the spanish one
hahaha no 'cause I'm going to be the asocial one..... Of course you can... I don't know how strong my application is...... the system is so different to the spanish one

What brought you to the UK for education? I'm actually hoping to do the normal course rather than the foundation. Your application seems really strong from your statistics so you'll be fine!
What brought you to the UK for education? I'm actually hoping to do the normal course rather than the foundation. Your application seems really strong from your statistics so you'll be fine!

well studying medicine here was always in my mind.... I came to work.The situation there is quite bad wich means no jobs.

I am only consider to the foundation program (because of my spanish grades)
well studying medicine here was always in my mind.... I came to work.The situation there is quite bad wich means no jobs.

I am only consider to the foundation program (because of my spanish grades)

I was actually thinking of taking a year out of education then applying to Barcelona Medical School. Is Manchester your first choice?
I was actually thinking of taking a year out of education then applying to Barcelona Medical School. Is Manchester your first choice?

That's a really good uni! But if you want to work in the uk (well with this new contract who wants) I don't really recommend you to do so. Medical education in Spain is quite different.

I don't have a first choice..... I would prefer manchetser but for me is more expensive than the GEM in medicine. I live in the area so it would be better as well.
Reply 12
Hello!

I am considering applying for GEM next year. I studied Spanish and French and uni and have lived in Seville for the past 4 years, so am fluent in Spanish. I was just wondering if it would be better to study in Spain (6 years, so longer, much less if any student debt...) or do the GEM course in the UK. I'd want to work in the UK after. If anyone has any opinions on this, I'd be very grateful!

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Spanish medical education compared to the UK? I don't see within the EU why there should be vast differences. Also, does anyone know if the last year of the Spanish Course if equivalent to FY1 in the UK and so would it be possibly to apply directly to FY2 after completing the 6 year Spanish Course?

Thanks!
Nick
Original post by d50kab
Hello!

I am considering applying for GEM next year. I studied Spanish and French and uni and have lived in Seville for the past 4 years, so am fluent in Spanish. I was just wondering if it would be better to study in Spain (6 years, so longer, much less if any student debt...) or do the GEM course in the UK. I'd want to work in the UK after. If anyone has any opinions on this, I'd be very grateful!

Does anyone know anything about the quality of Spanish medical education compared to the UK? I don't see within the EU why there should be vast differences. Also, does anyone know if the last year of the Spanish Course if equivalent to FY1 in the UK and so would it be possibly to apply directly to FY2 after completing the 6 year Spanish Course?

Thanks!
Nick

Hey! Spanish nurse here. :wink:

And medicine in Spain was never an option for me. If you want to work here in the UK don't study in Spain. Apart from being longer, the healthcare service in Spain is so different!!

I'm sorry to tell you that the postgrad trainning is also completely different
In SPAIN you do:
6 years of uni
MIR (to access your speciality) 2-4 years of NO work, as you're prepping for the exam.
Residency 5-8 years
And then you're done

In Spain doctors won't do almost any of the technical aspects as nursing is much more developed. There is no nurse practitioner role but nurses on the wards are able to do almost anything!
Spanish medicine is good but lacks patient contact in my opinion. Anything you want to know let me know
Reply 14
Hi Macarena!

Thanks very much for the information, it's much appreciated :-) One the options would have been to do the 6-year Spanish Grado en Medicina and then apply for FY1 or FY2 if posible. Are you currently doing the GEMor a 6-year Course with a foundation year?

Thanks!
Nick
Original post by d50kab
Hi Macarena!

Thanks very much for the information, it's much appreciated :-) One the options would have been to do the 6-year Spanish Grado en Medicina and then apply for FY1 or FY2 if posible. Are you currently doing the GEMor a 6-year Course with a foundation year?

Thanks!
Nick

I am applying for GEM and Manchester (they only consider me for the 6 year course because I have spanish grades).

If you do that youll be in disadvantage. FY1 here do, for instance, bloods. in Spain you WILL NEVER see a doc doing that, not even a med student. Bloods are considered anursing technique. the same happens with lots of techniques.

Even though you have a medical degree take into account that they prep you to work in a particular healtjcare system. I found the same problem when I started working here as a nurse. I had to be reassessed even on checking a blood pressure and my manager could not believe that I was doing ABGs since 2nd year.

Manchester has the international medicine program and you can do a placemenr in Spain.

Also check with the GMC if you would have to take the IELTS to be able to apply for a FY1 post (it's a requiremenr for doctord trainned outside the UK).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending