The Student Room Group

Do I have any chance in being able to study Medicine at uni?

Hi, I've just started my AS level and my school has been constantly telling us to sort out what we put on our personal statements and I'm getting quite worried see I want to do medicine and i know its very competitive and I'm worried I won't get in for a number of reason the main ones being:
1) I didn't take maths
2) I haven't done any DoE's
4) I don't play any instruments
3) I don't appear to have as much to write about on my CV and Personal statement as some of my friends do
have I still got a chance I mean I can't really say much for my grades apart from the ones that the school has predicted for me which seem alright to me.
I do Taekwondo, I volunteer in a care home, and I did volunteer in a charity shop and library over summer, I work at sports direct, I run a science revision club for those doing their gcse's, I run a debate club and I'm a prefect
Is this enough? What else can I do? Is there any hope of me getting into medicine with just what I have at the moment?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by panicked_
Hi, I've just started my AS level and my school has been constantly telling us to sort out what we put on our personal statements and I'm getting quite worried see I want to do medicine and i know its very competitive and I'm worried I won't get in for a number of reason the main ones being:
1) I didn't take maths
2) I haven't done any DoE's
3) I don't appear to have as much to write about on my CV and Personal statement as some of my friends do
have I still got a chance I mean I can't really say much for my grades apart from the ones that the school has predicted for me which seem alright to me.
I do Taek won do, I volunteer in a care home, and I did volunteer in a charity shop and library over summer, I work at sports direct, I run a science revision club for those doing their gcse's, I run a debate club and I'm a prefect
Is this enough? What else can I do? Is there any hope of me getting into medicine with just what I have at the moment?

1 & 2 are not problems at all, ever.

Regarding your personal statement, it seems like you're doing all you can be doing at the moment - volunteering, extra curriculars etc. Sounds good to me. Have you done any work experience yet?

Do remember that getting into med school is all about having a good all round application though including things like a good BMAT/UKCAT score. But obviously those are things to think about next year, not now :smile:

For now I'd say you're doing pretty well. Don't let people scare you or put you off!
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
1 & 2 are not problems at all, ever.

Regarding your personal statement, it seems like you're doing all you can be doing at the moment - volunteering, extra curriculars etc. Sounds good to me. Have you done any work experience yet?

Do remember that getting into med school is all about having a good all round application though including things like a good BMAT/UKCAT score. But obviously those are things to think about next year, not now :smile:

For now I'd say you're doing pretty well. Don't let people scare you or put you off!

Yeah I have applied for work experience in a hospital but that's in July, Thanks I'm just a worried as it seems people around me have been preparing for years and are really talented. I've only just begun to consider medicine at uni and am worried what I'm doing is just not enough, thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Yeah I have applied for work experience in a hospital but that's in July, Thanks I'm just a worried as it seems people around me have been preparing for years and are really talented. I've only just begun to consider medicine at uni and am worried what I'm doing is just not enough, thanks for the reassurance :smile:

You're doing absolutely fine - it's all about prioritising. Right now the priority is your AS levels and keeping up with the volunteering. Next year you can add work experience and entrance exams to that. There's no point jumping the gun, even if other people are!
Reply 4
so early whoa, it's not about how much you do, it's about what you learned from those experiences and how that developed you as a person and being able to convey that in your PS
they hate lists

worry more about grades and the ukcat

good luck! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by z33
so early whoa, it's not about how much you do, it's about what you learned from those experiences and how that developed you as a person and being able to convey that in your PS
they hate lists

worry more about grades and the ukcat

good luck! :biggrin:

Yeah I realize its early but everyone in my classes are telling me all the things they do and I find it quite worrying as I'm doing less than half the extra work they do :s-smilie:
but thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah I realize its early but everyone in my classes are telling me all the things they do and I find it quite worrying as I'm doing less than half the extra work they do :s-smilie:
but thanks for the advice :smile:

dw about it it doesn't mean jack**** when you don't get the grades! so just focus on that :P

good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending