The Student Room Group

No A-level further maths wanting to go to cambridge

Sadly, my school has no further maths course running due to lack of students (only one as far as i know, me)

I want to study mathematics at cambridge. I am almost finishing my 1st year of studies. We take our exams during the oct/nov session.

How would not having further maths affect my chances and if so by how much?
Reply 1
Original post by lyamlim97
Sadly, my school has no further maths course running due to lack of students (only one as far as i know, me)

I want to study mathematics at cambridge. I am almost finishing my 1st year of studies. We take our exams during the oct/nov session.

How would not having further maths affect my chances and if so by how much?

I think you need at least AS-level FM.
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/guide_0.pdf

Can't you self-teach and use http://www.furthermaths.org.uk etc ?
Reply 2
Original post by jneill

I'm not from the UK.
Original post by jneill

You do need at least FM to AS, http://www.examsolutions.net/ will have everything you need for AS FM as well as the link above my post. I would advise taking as many modules as possible as the more you have the higher your chances, especially the harder ones like FP2 and FP3 (or equivalent).
Reply 4
I'm not from the UK.

So? Can't you self-teach?
Reply 5
Original post by Thediplomat56
You do need at least FM to AS, http://www.examsolutions.net/ will have everything you need for AS FM as well as the link above my post. I would advise taking as many modules as possible as the more you have the higher your chances, especially the harder ones like FP2 and FP3 (or equivalent).

We sit for CIE A-level. There is no AS further maths. Its either the whole A-level or not at all.
Original post by jneill
So? Can't you self-teach?

A lot of schools may not just allow you to enter in for exams that they have not taught you towards unfortunately.
In response the the "how much" question. No FM means 0 chance not having A2 wouldn't be detrimental but it would be a definite disadvantage. However, i'm sure they will be accommodating as its not always possible to take FM. I would message the admissions tutors to ask and find out specifically for the type of exams you take if you're not from the UK.
Reply 8
Original post by Jordan\
A lot of schools may not just allow you to enter in for exams that they have not taught you towards unfortunately.

Yeah that's true. I do not know about my school though. But i will ask.
I also think that the reason the school does not want to teach further maths is not because of a small amount of students but also due to having bad results and perhaps the attitude of the teacher as we only have one further maths teacher.
I asked him twice as to whether he would want to teach. Twice i got rejected with him saying it is not necessary even if i want to do maths at university and also that i might not even get a C in it.
Reply 9
We sit for CIE A-level. There is no AS further maths. Its either the whole A-level or not at all.

Edexcel have international exam centres. Can't you enter as a private candidate?

And, as another poster commented, ask a couple of the colleges what they recommend. For example, Christ's and Peterhouse are active on TSR.
Reply 10
Original post by jneill
Edexcel have international exam centres. Can't you enter as a private candidate?

And, as another poster commented, ask a couple of the colleges what they recommend. For example, Christ's and Peterhouse are active on TSR.

I'm currently in the end of my first year. So if i do sit as a private candidate under the Edexcel exam board, should i do AS FM or try the A2 or just do some modules?

Another possibility would perhaps be taking a gap year and doing both further and additional further in that gap year ?
Reply 11
I'm currently in the end of my first year. So if i do sit as a private candidate under the Edexcel exam board, should i do AS FM or try the A2 or just do some modules?

Another possibility would perhaps be taking a gap year and doing both further and additional further in that gap year ?

As I said, best to check with a couple of colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not aware of any other exam boards but in mine (edexcel) the further modules are SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the core modules and they demand a high level of understanding and ability to apply the Core from what i've been told.

Additionally it depends on your mathematical ability doing Further Maths A2 or even Further Additional sounds good but it will not be a walk in the park.

I think this is something you have to decide for yourself because you know yourself better than anyone else.

I would encourage you to find a teacher (more approachable than your current Further one) and have a long talk to someone who knows exactly what they're talking about and knows
your abilities.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Thediplomat56
I'm not aware of any other exam boards but in mine (edexcel) the further modules are SIGNIFICANTLY harder than the core modules and they demand a high level of understanding and ability to apply the Core from what i've been told.

Additionally it depends on your mathematical ability doing Further Maths A2 or even Further Additional sounds good but it will not be a walk in the park.

I think this is something you have to decide for yourself because you know yourself better than anyone else.

I would encourage you to find a teacher (more approachable than your current Further one) and have a long talk to someone who knows exactly what they're talking about and knows
your abilities.

I do feel that i have the capability. I do not know if even any teacher would want to teach it. I know a few teachers from other schools but i do not think they are allowed to teach privately due to government ruling.
I do feel that i have the capability. I do not know if even any teacher would want to teach it. I know a few teachers from other schools but i do not think they are allowed to teach privately due to government ruling.

I meant just talk to them about the course and the content.

Nevertheless, if you believe you have the capability I would say have a look at the content for the course see if you can do work over the summer for the parts of Further that require normal. Then work from there, if possible ask your teacher if you can do your work in the lesson, that's what I do in my lessons as some parts of the syllabus I get through fast and I get bored
Reply 15
I'm just abit frustrated and feeling betrayed as teachers keep telling me further maths is not needed for university but almost all top universities requires it. It's not as if they do not know i have quite high ambitions and do have the capability to achieve.
I'm just abit frustrated and feeling betrayed as teachers keep telling me further maths is not needed for university but almost all top universities requires it. It's not as if they do not know i have quite high ambitions and do have the capability to achieve.

This is very frustrating for you.
However the problem for Cambridge is that almost everybody has exceptionally high UMS in Maths (verging on 100%) and high ambitions and self confidence. Most people find FM more difficult, but they still have a huge number of applicants with almost full marks in that too. They then separate the best of those by interview followed by STEP exams. Almost half of these very able candidates do not reach their STEP offer. The exam is designed to achieve this.
You will need to self teach STEP and most of FM to cope with the course and the interview and stand a good chance of making your offer. This is true even though your STEP offer may be in I,II rather than II,III papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending