The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RainbowKiwi
What's your background?

European/Afro-Caribbean (dad)
Native Amerindian-Caribbean (Mum)

Where do you get your profile pics from?
Yes :smile:
I would since I have a strong preference for white girls. But white girls never go for Oriental guys. :sad:
Original post by Anonymous

I know very well that 'Muslim' isn't a race, yet I have yet to meet a Muslim who is European as opposed to being Middle Eastern/South Asian.
And Indian people being the same race as Europeans? Umm....no they're not.

Just because you haven't met a european Muslim doesn't mean they don't exist. :facepalm2: I can confirm that they do exist, I have met 3 native white British muslims myself. You know just because I have never met an Australian doesnt mean they dont exit. And yes, Indians are the same race as Europeans, Indians are caucasian. That is a fact so perhaps use google/a book before making a fool out of yourself.

Well, since you only dare post this anonymously, we all know that even you know that you are being racist. :h:
Original post by Mr Smurf
I would since I have a strong preference for white girls. But white girls never go for Oriental guys. :sad:

legendary
Yes white.

But this is where I disagree: people are different. Yeah they might go to the same schools (though differences can arise between those educated at an expensive private school vs a 'normal' school) but they can still have very different home lives. If their parents are traditional and keep to the customs of their native culture, then this will obviously also affect the children.

Example 1: pork is a very common meat in British and European cuisine, yet for those from the Middle East or India it is virtually non-existent in their cuisine. Flipside: a lot of people from South Asia eat "curries" (I know it's a broad term for a lot of different dishes) very frequently, while as for someone from outside that culture this might be a dish that they only have occasionally.

Example 2: A colleague of mine is Bengali. He was telling us how in advance of his marriage, all the men from his side of the family and the men from her side of the family would get together to agree on a dowry to be paid for him marrying his wife to be. In European cultures for example this entire thing wouldn't exist at all.

Example 3: I have quite a few Muslim people at my company and all of them have married/will marry/would only consider another Muslim person. Similar story with those of an Indian heritage: they only date/marry others of a similar background.

And your last point, let me put it this way: Is choosing your pool of partners based on their ethnicity any different than saying you prefer a certain color or length of hair, a certain body type, certain height criteria? Everybody has their preferences.

Well i'm Chinese and the only tradition here is the way we visit the grave of our dead relatives death anniversary. Thats it.

I eat chinese foods at home because of my mum but at uni I eat same foods as my flat mates. I will eat any food from any background. No problem.

Yep practicing Muslims would only marry Muslims hence why religious people are un-preferred from a non religious person

your last para- its perfectly fine to have preferences but I doubt you have not found other races not attractive (not just by looks)

my point is that there are millions of different raced who will share the same culture and traditions as you. there are also many who are traditional but only a little that it would have no effect in a relationship

would you marry a bengali who share the same culture, same religion as you if any, looks and personality being 9/10?
it depends on the person's background. I'd date an half asian (oriental) person because if some child came out of the union I'd know there'd be a chance of it looking like me, partially at least. Plus this ethnicity are usually intelligent and into working hard for themselves, you never really see many being thugs, etc. I love some of the features like good skin and small noses, small builds for girls...so definitely that.
Overall it definitely depends on the person more than race, and their background and values
Original post by Proxenus
Well i'm Chinese and the only tradition here is the way we visit the grave of our dead relatives death anniversary. Thats it.

Thats not necessarily a Chinese thing, lots of people do that all over the world. :h:
Of course I would! I mean I am mixed race tbf, and finding someone of the exact mix as me would be a difficult task to say the least. :lol:
Reply 69
I'm interested to see what the distribution of responses is regarding dating outside your race. I don't see not dating outside of one's race to be racist (for me it's about having a similar background which is why I personally just date people similar to me) but I'm interested in seeing where people stand on this issue.

If asked most people will say yes, because they dont want to be seen as racist, but based on data okcupid collected on race, the reality is the majority of people express a preferences for dating within their own race.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
Just because you haven't met a european Muslim doesn't mean they don't exist. :facepalm2: I can confirm that they do exist, I have met 3 native white British muslims myself. You know just because I have never met an Australian doesnt mean they dont exit. And yes, Indians are the same race as Europeans, Indians are caucasian. That is a fact so perhaps use google/a book before making a fool out of yourself.

Well, since you only dare post this anonymously, we all know that even you know that you are being racist. :h:

Are you actually being serious? There's no way you can actually think that Europeans and Indians are of the same race. I can't tell if you're trolling or just incredibly stupid. You seem to think that people being different is somehow racist or a bad thing. It's not, there are differences and that's ok. Surely you don't need a Wikipedia link to tell you that someone with brown skin color and dark hair/dark eyes is of a different race from someone with pale skin and lighter hair and eyes?

Look, I'm not saying white Muslims don't exist or anything like that. However tiny little exceptions do not disprove the massive general trend. Europeans tend to be Christian/atheist (or non-religious) while as those from the Middle East tend to be Muslim. That's not racist, that's geography 101.

You're splitting hairs but completely missing the bigger point.

And acknowledging differences between people is not racism. Racism would be if one said "I think all people of race X are corrupt and worse than race Y".

Here's the definition of racism from the Merriam Webster dictionary:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

: poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others

Oh wow, arguments on the internet......
Are you actually being serious? There's no way you can actually think that Europeans and Indians are of the same race. I can't tell if you're trolling or just incredibly stupid. You seem to think that people being different is somehow racist or a bad thing. It's not, there are differences and that's ok. Surely you don't need a Wikipedia link to tell you that someone with brown skin color and dark hair/dark eyes is of a different race from someone with pale skin and lighter hair and eyes?

Look, I'm not saying white Muslims don't exist or anything like that. However tiny little exceptions do not disprove the massive general trend. Europeans tend to be Christian/atheist (or non-religious) while as those from the Middle East tend to be Muslim. That's not racist, that's geography 101.

You're splitting hairs but completely missing the bigger point.

And acknowledging differences between people is not racism. Racism would be if one said "I think all people of race X are corrupt and worse than race Y".

Here's the definition of racism from the Merriam Webster dictionary:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

: poor treatment of or violence against people because of their race

: the belief that some races of people are better than others

Oh wow, arguments on the internet......

Here, ladies and gentlemen. This person denies the fact that Europeans and Indians are Caucasian. Just when you thought you have seen everything.

Not even gonna read further than that paragraph...:facepalm2:
Original post by Proxenus

I eat chinese foods at home because of my mum but at uni I eat same foods as my flat mates. I will eat any food from any background. No problem.

Yep practicing Muslims would only marry Muslims hence why religious people are un-preferred from a non religious person

your last para- its perfectly fine to have preferences but I doubt you have not found other races not attractive (not just by looks)

my point is that there are millions of different raced who will share the same culture and traditions as you. there are also many who are traditional but only a little that it would have no effect in a relationship

would you marry a bengali who share the same culture, same religion as you if any, looks and personality being 9/10?

I think there's a lot more to being Chinese than just that. It's just that you might not necessarily notice it because it is your everyday life.

And finding other races attractive? Well yes of course, I have met many very nice people from all sorts of races and I wouldn't say that there are more or fewer nice people in any given race. And I have seen some very hot girls from all sorts of races.

However for me personally I still find girls of my own race to be more attractive to me. Just like some people prefer partners of a certain height, weight or hair color.

As for your theoretical Bengali situation: well I'm not sure such a person would really be Bengali any more if they had no attachment to their cultural/ethnic origins. And I wouldn't since as described above, I find girls of my own race more attractive (and in my case, that doesn't really narrow down the dating pool by much).
Reply 73
I'm interested to see what the distribution of responses is regarding dating outside your race. I don't see not dating outside of one's race to be racist (for me it's about having a similar background which is why I personally just date people similar to me) but I'm interested in seeing where people stand on this issue.

I'd sooner die :smile:
Thats not necessarily a Chinese thing, lots of people do that all over the world. :h:

no I mean't the way we do it aha
Yes white.

But this is where I disagree: people are different. Yeah they might go to the same schools (though differences can arise between those educated at an expensive private school vs a 'normal' school) but they can still have very different home lives. If their parents are traditional and keep to the customs of their native culture, then this will obviously also affect the children.

Example 1: pork is a very common meat in British and European cuisine, yet for those from the Middle East or India it is virtually non-existent in their cuisine. Flipside: a lot of people from South Asia eat "curries" (I know it's a broad term for a lot of different dishes) very frequently, while as for someone from outside that culture this might be a dish that they only have occasionally.

Example 2: A colleague of mine is Bengali. He was telling us how in advance of his marriage, all the men from his side of the family and the men from her side of the family would get together to agree on a dowry to be paid for him marrying his wife to be. In European cultures for example this entire thing wouldn't exist at all.

Example 3: I have quite a few Muslim people at my company and all of them have married/will marry/would only consider another Muslim person. Similar story with those of an Indian heritage: they only date/marry others of a similar background.

And your last point, let me put it this way: Is choosing your pool of partners based on their ethnicity any different than saying you prefer a certain color or length of hair, a certain body type, certain height criteria? Everybody has their preferences.

White European actually. I'm originally from a country where non white people are almost completely absent, save for those who come to visit as tourists and probably 80-90% of people have blue eyes, just to give you an idea of the ethnic diversity (or lack thereof) of where I'm from.

See my point above about how people in the same country can have different upbringings.

I'm mixed race but argument's sake I'll say I was brought up Filipino.

Apart from food and religion I have the same childhood and upbringing as my husband who is white British. The food isn't an issue anyway as the food we have at home is pretty much British. As for religion, I have never forced him to go to church with me. So again not an issue.

Tbh your post just shows ignorance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
I'm mixed race but argument's sake I'll say I was brought up Filipino.

Apart from food and religion I have the same childhood and upbringing as my husband who is white British. The food isn't an issue anyway as the food we have at home is pretty much British. As for religion, I have never forced him to go to church with me. So again not an issue.

Tbh your post just shows ignorance

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is stating that people are different "ignorant"? Not everyone is the same and that is ok. Men and women are different, and that is ok. People from Asia are different to those from Africa and that is ok. There's nothing wrong with it. This overly politically correct world is really starting to annoy me...

Here, ladies and gentlemen. This person denies the fact that Europeans and Indians are Caucasian. Just when you thought you have seen everything.

Not even gonna read further than that paragraph...:facepalm2:

Your ignorance amazes me. I see what you have done though, you have taken your definition of race from here it seems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_S._Coon#Racial_theories

So apparently one can identify themselves as Caucosoid, Congoloid, Capoid, Mongoloid or Australoid.

Except that when have you ever seen these definitions used....well anywhere? Does any job or university application where it asks you to identify your ethnicity list these? No it has things like White- British, White-Irish, Black-Caribbean, Black- African, etc.

You're using some really weird narrow definition of race that nobody else uses and because of that think everyone else is ignorant. While on a very technical level you may be right, it misses the point entirely and that is where true ignorance lies.
Why is stating that people are different "ignorant"? Not everyone is the same and that is ok. Men and women are different, and that is ok. People from Asia are different to those from Africa and that is ok. There's nothing wrong with it. This overly politically correct world is really starting to annoy me...

Your ignorance amazes me. I see what you have done though, you have taken your definition of race from here it seems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_S._Coon#Racial_theories

So apparently one can identify themselves as Caucosoid, Congoloid, Capoid, Mongoloid or Australoid.

Except that when have you ever seen these definitions used....well anywhere? Does any job or university application where it asks you to identify your ethnicity list these? No it has things like White- British, White-Irish, Black-Caribbean, Black- African, etc.

You're using some really weird narrow definition of race that nobody else uses and because of that think everyone else is ignorant. While on a very technical level you may be right, it misses the point entirely and that is where true ignorance lies.

I didn't use any of those definitions. I used the definition 'caucasian', which is what Indians and Europeans are, it's not a narrow definition of race, it is the only official definiton of race that everybody uses, aside from you. You have killed enough of my brain cells so this is my last reply to you, anon racist. Bye.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You are fudu bandha fudu

But I'm a cool guy :frown:
I didn't use any of those definitions. I used the definition 'caucasian', which is what Indians and Europeans are, it's not a narrow definition of race, it is the only official definiton of race that everybody uses, aside from you. You have killed enough of my brain cells so this is my last reply to you, anon racist. Bye.

Aside from you nobody has ever (except the guy who came up with the Mongoloid/Caucasoid racial definition) used a system of racial classification that lumps South Asians and Europeans into one group. Maybe we should have another poll asking whether people from these two regions are of the same race or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending