The Student Room Group

Are my A-Level choices too narrow

Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and have decided on picking the A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Are these choices too narrow considering I might take Maths, Economics, Physics or Engineering at Uni??
Reply 1
Original post by Asian Persuasion
Hi, I'm currently in Year 11 and have decided on picking the A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. Are these choices too narrow considering I might take Maths, Economics, Physics or Engineering at Uni??

Not at all, I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, and Chemistry for AS and I think it has set me up perfectly for uni applications.
Original post by genius10
Not at all, I did Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics, and Chemistry for AS and I think it has set me up perfectly for uni applications.

How did you cope with 5 AS', in terms of the amount of revision and organising time for each of your subjects as 5 AS's is quite alot to take, right??
Reply 3
How did you cope with 5 AS', in terms of the amount of revision and organising time for each of your subjects as 5 AS's is quite alot to take, right??

Yeah it was pretty difficult, it took up so much of my time, especially since I only had 1 free a week. Having said that it is possible to do since I got above 90% in all five subjects. However I would not recommend doing this, four is enough.

Also, what makes you want to study Economics? I don't want to turn you away from it but it a lot of essay writing, which I wasn't very good at. (Basically if you think it's a piss-take version of maths, what I thought, think again!)

But yes organisation was crucial, I also play a lot of sport in the weekends, so it means that I had to get started with prep any spare minute I had! My exams also lasted from 11th May to 16th June, which was also a killer lol.
Original post by genius10
Yeah it was pretty difficult, it took up so much of my time, especially since I only had 1 free a week. Having said that it is possible to do since I got above 90% in all five subjects. However I would not recommended end doing this, four is enough.

Also, what makes you want to study Economics? I don't want to turn you away from it but it a lot of essay writing, which I wasn't very good at. (Basically if you think it's a piss-take version of maths, what I thought, think again!)

But yes organisation was crucial, I also play a lot of sport in the weekends, so it means that I had to get started with prep any spare minute I had! My exams also lasted from 11th May to 16th June, which was also a killer lol.

Thanks for the reply. I'm taking Economics because it seems pretty interesting from my research and it sort of relates to Business Studies which I'm taking. However, i'm dreading all the essay writing but I'll hopefully get over it
Not at all considering your choice of degrees at uni :smile: Good luck!
Original post by katebeckett
Not at all considering your choice of degrees at uni :smile: Good luck!

Thanks, all the best to whichever subject you choose for Uni!:smile:

If you want to do physics/ engineering at university:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
AS Chemistry

If you want to do maths at university

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
AS Economics/ Chemistry

If you want to do economics at university

Maths