The Student Room Group

Man got his penis cut off for raping female student in China

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danz123
All of you saying physical castration should happen to rapists are despicable tbh. Are you all barbarians? Rape is a terrible crime and the man in question deserves a lengthy prison sentence, but not to have his penis chopped off. That would break the human rights act, as article 3 of the ECHR states, "No one shall be subjected to torture or inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment."

No one should be subjected to forced sexual penetration against their will; why are the rights of the rapist more important than the rights of the victim and her justice?
Original post by Danz123
Yeah... and what does that have to do with my point? Are you going for an 'eye for an eye' kind of mentality? He subjected her to such punishment so he deserves something just as degrading? I disagree. Besides, this is vigilante justice, and no mob is allowed to be judge and jury when it comes to handing out punishments. We have a legal system for that.

Yes. The State must have the monopoly on force as per Max Weber. But I would urge the state to implement and enforce this kind of punishment.
Why are people misunderstanding what I'm saying? I wrote, clear as day, that the rapist deserves prison time. He is a terrible human being. That does not mean he doesn't have human rights. What's with this misrepresentation of my point? I didn't say the rapist is more important than the victim, and chopping the guy's penis off isn't the only way to show the victim is more important. 'Justice'? You really believe this barbarian practice is 'justice'? No, it isn't. Prison time would be justice however, and given not by the mob, but by a qualified judge.
Original post by apronedsamurai
Yes. The State must have the monopoly on force as per Max Weber. But I would urge the state to implement and enforce this kind of punishment.

I wouldn't. It goes against the human rights act as I mentioned, and the justification for it is similar to that of the death penalty. An 'eye for an eye'. It's such a stupid argument, and I'm with Ghandi on this 'an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'
Original post by Danz123
Why are people misunderstanding what I'm saying? I wrote, clear as day, that the rapist deserves prison time. He is a terrible human being. That does not mean he doesn't have human rights. What's with this misrepresentation of my point? I didn't say the rapist is more important than the victim, and chopping the guy's penis off isn't the only way to show the victim is more important. 'Justice'? You really believe this barbarian practice is 'justice'? No, it isn't. Prison time would be justice however, and given not by the mob, but by a qualified judge.

Getting prison time doesn't work. Have you seen how pathetic the British justice system is? The criminals get ''life'' (8 years max) and then get it cut in half for good behaviour then they back out on the streets doing the same thing again. It is a mockery of justice. This is real justice.
Original post by ivybridge
No, I am simply saying you're conveniently excluding the other person.

The culprit should be dealt with legally and harshly: "two wrongs don't make a right."

Also, don't give me all the feminist bull****. This has absolutely **** all to do with feminism and I'm an avid feminist anyway.

The point I'm making is that it shouldn't matter that he raped someone, just because someone's committed a crime it doesn't mean they isn't under the protection of the law. Vigilante justice isn't justice at all, it's an emotionally fuelled act of revenge.
If you think that he should be dealt with legally and harshly I don't see how you disagree with my opinion.
I'd say rape is inhuman and degrading.

Well one thing that sets the state apart from criminals is that they're supposed to be held to a higher level of moral standards. I don't think I'd like to live in a country where the state was allowed to abuse my human rights.

Also I think the old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" comes into play here. Cutting off the rapist's penis doesn't suddenly "unrape" the woman. Yes, rape is a horrific crime but retributive justice is too emotionally-driven to be considered the proper action of a progressive and civilised people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Danz123
I wouldn't. It goes against the human rights act as I mentioned, and the justification for it is similar to that of the death penalty. An 'eye for an eye'. It's such a stupid argument, and I'm with Ghandi on this 'an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'

"People should either be caressed or crushed. If you do them minor damage they will get their revenge; but if you cripple them there is nothing they can do. If you need to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance.” "
Reply 48
I'm not saying that the rapist is anything more than a pathetic excuse for a person, but it's sickening to see people celebrating this. Such 'justice' (revenge, really) is a gross violation of an individual's human rights.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Danz123

People get quite emotional over sex crimes compared to other crimes and because of that logic tends to go out of the window. Everyone suddenly starts using revenge and justice interchangeably and we end up with a lot of bloodthirsty barbarians.
Original post by looseseal
Well one thing that sets the state apart from criminals is that they're supposed to held to higher level of moral standards. I don't think I'd like to live in a country where the state were allowed to abuse my human rights.

Also I think the old adage "two wrongs don't make a right" comes into play here. Cutting off the rapist's penis doesn't suddenly "unrape" the woman. Yes, rape is a horrific crime but retributive justice is too emotionally-driven to be considered the proper action of a progressive and civilised people.

I would wager that it's 100% effective, though. Think about it, if vigilante justice was more common there would be a lot less criminals because they would be scared of their own communities instead of the wimpy state ''justice'' system
Having lived in China, they have an huge anti-foreigner regime in a lot of places, especially have it in hard for blacks. When I read things like this I am left wondering, is that really the case? I've been accused of being a spy for by a person there quite simply because they didn't like me, it was hilarious but I think getting flash mobbed and getting your penis cut off is probably not a funny thing. That being the case If this guy genuinely did what is being claimed, I have 0 sympathy for him.
Original post by elen90
I'm not saying that the rapist is anything more than a pathetic excuse for a person, but it's sickening to see people celebrating this. Such 'justice' (revenge, really) is a gross violation of an individual's human rights.

Who cares? He invalidated his human rights when he chose to do this vile act.
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Why did he state it was a guy? Why bring gender into things?

God OP is such a sexist.
Well if it happened in the UK, it has to be made known that the offender is male, because only males are capable of rape under UK law: s.1 Sexual Offences Act 2003.
Original post by Zargabaath
The point I'm making is that it shouldn't matter that he raped someone, just because someone's committed a crime it doesn't mean they isn't under the protection of the law. Vigilante justice isn't justice at all, it's an emotionally fuelled act of revenge.
If you think that he should be dealt with legally and harshly I don't see how you disagree with my opinion.

It was never once said that I disagreed.
"People should either be caressed or crushed. If you do them minor damage they will get their revenge; but if you cripple them there is nothing they can do. If you need to injure someone, do it in such a way that you do not have to fear their vengeance.” "

Well that just sounds like a decision made out of fear, and not justice. Under that kind of logic it would be best to just kill anyone seen as a threat, so they don't come back and try to get revenge. Again, really stupid.
Absolutely nothing said here, in any way, justifies this 'eye for an eye' mentality that was subjected to this man.

Despicable comments, regardless of how despicable his crime is. Agree with Dan here.
(edited 8 years ago)

Because the only 2 options are to either cause minor damage or crippling them. It's not like you can separate them from society and attempt to reform them into a useful member of society or anything :rolleyes:.
Reply 58
I'm glad you're not in charge of the legal system...
Well can you give me sources for that? You can't just state such a thing and expect me to believe it now can you? Sure, the justice system is flawed, but we need to work to make it better, not abandon it altogether and turn to barbaric practices such as these which are forms of revenge, not justice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending