The Student Room Group

Quantum Physics

I kind of like physics however, I find it hard to understand sometimes.I want to learn quantum physics however, is it too hard I am looking at it now.I am looking and Neil Bohr and the Quantum leap it is interesting, but it takes a while to get your head around.So my question is how to start understanding Quantum Physics my foundation of physics is very weak we have not looked at physics as much as biology and chemistry.I am ok at theory, but I just recite what I hear I don't always understand it.I am bad at graphs and equations.
Do you have the mind to understand it? As most people don't have the mind for it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous1502
I kind of like physics however, I find it hard to understand sometimes.I want to learn quantum physics however, is it too hard I am looking at it now.I am looking and Neil Bohr and the Quantum leap it is interesting, but it takes a while to get your head around.So my question is how to start understanding Quantum Physics my foundation of physics is very weak we have not looked at physics as much as biology and chemistry.I am ok at theory, but I just recite what I hear I don't always understand it.I am bad at graphs and equations.
If you're not hot on classical physics, you're going to find it damned hard getting into quantum mechanics.

Methinks you just like the sound of it.
Original post by Tootles
If you're not hot on classical physics, you're going to find it damned hard getting into quantum mechanics.

Methinks you just like the sound of it.

Maybe it sounds so exciting, also it would be impressive if i mastered it.The thing is I was never taught much physics so I don't have a grasp of the basics so I have no real impression of physics.
Maybe it sounds so exciting, also it would be impressive if i mastered it.

Lol - delusional much?

The thing is I was never taught much physics so I don't have a grasp of the basics so I have no real impression of physics.

my foundation of physics is very weak

I just recite what I hear I don't always understand it.

I am bad at graphs and equations.

Good luck 'mastering' quantum mechanics if you're crap at basically everything and only memorise things to pass exams. :lol: What's your study level, incidentally? It's hard to imagine you've had any serious physics education.

The very basic tenets of quantum theory are quite simple to describe; I've listed them below:

a/ Matter behaves in some ways as a particle, in some ways as a wave.
b/ Characteristics of a particle/system can only be calculated in terms of probability.
c/ The energy of a particle/system can only take certain, discrete values.

Other things, like the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, follow from these.

The degree to which you want to understand these ideas is dependent on your mathematical ability and your understanding of other areas of physics. It would be hard to go into any further depth at all really without at the very least AS-level Maths and Physics (full A-levels in both subjects would put you in a much better position).

As surprising to hear as it may be, it's actually much easier to elucidate these concepts using proper mathematical techniques than it is using long wordy descriptions, even if on paper it makes the topic look much more complex.

(edited 8 years ago)

All you need to know is that the cat is neither dead or alive; it is an undead kitty :biggrin:
Maybe it sounds so exciting, also it would be impressive if i mastered it.The thing is I was never taught much physics so I don't have a grasp of the basics so I have no real impression of physics.

I agree with Tootles -- you just like the sound of it. People who really want to find out about the universe don't do it to impress people and are a lot more accepting of their own ignorance, as opposed to being steeped in some preposterous idea of 'mastering' something like quantum mechanics. It is not a videogame with a boss level at the end, defeating which gives you 'mastery' of the game. :tongue: The fact that you don't understand that seems to indicate that you're very young and naive about how science works.

My diagnosis: you think knowing something about quantum physics makes you look smart; you want people to think you're smart; therefore, you want to learn about quantum physics. Not a good reason at all, in my view. (Disclaimer: Of course, I could be wrong. But that's what it sounds like. :tongue:)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
Lol - delusional much?

Good luck 'mastering' quantum mechanics if you're crap at basically everything and only memorise things to pass exams. :lol: What's your study level, incidentally? It's hard to imagine you've had any serious physics education.

I am not crap ok I am trying to learn something and challenge myself while you only sit there and make rude comments I know the basics of Quantum mechanics.I am well educated in chemistry and biology and maths not physics.
Original post by Hydeman
I agree with Tootles -- you just like the sound of it. People who really want to find out about the universe don't do it to impress people and are a lot more accepting of their own ignorance, as opposed to being steeped in some preposterous idea of 'mastering' something like quantum mechanics. It is not a videogame with a boss level at the end, defeating which gives you 'mastery' of the game. :tongue: The fact that you don't understand that seems to indicate that you're very young and naive about how science works.

My diagnosis: you think knowing something about quantum physics makes you look smart; you want people to think you're smart; therefore, you want to learn about quantum physics. Not a good reason at all, in my view. (Disclaimer: Of course, I could be wrong. But that's what it sounds like. :tongue:)

I am still going to learn about it I am determined i don't care what people think.No one is going to make me feel less of a person because my physics is not up to the standard of my knowledge in biology chemistry and maths.I am not native i am curious.
I am still going to learn about it I am determined i don't care what people think.No one is going to make me feel less of a person because my physics is not up to the standard of my knowledge in biology chemistry and maths.I am not native i am curious.

Good luck with that if you're bad with graphs and mathematical equations. The fact that you bring up how people make you feel (not sure what exactly you mean by 'less of a person') is further evidence that you're pursuing it because you want to look smart in people's eyes rather than actually understand something about the universe.

If you don't care what the people on this thread think, why did you create it to ask their opinion? :tongue: It's like asking a question and then telling the people who answer it to **** off because you don't like their answers.

You've still not indicated what stage you're at with your studies -- the fact that you're studying all three sciences suggests that you're still at school. My guess would be that you're in year 8 or 9, based on the naivete. It takes a lot more than a determination to impress others to get into quantum mechanics proper.

Higher level physics is more about understanding than 'knowledge' anyway. You're curious about nothing -- you just like the attention you might get at school if you can prattle on about some obscure physical concepts.

Keep me updated with your 'progress.' :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I am not crap ok I am trying to learn something and challenge myself while you only sit there and make rude comments I know the basics of Quantum mechanics.I am well educated in chemistry and biology and maths not physics.

And what would those basics be? :lol: :laugh: Do let me know -- you're claiming you know something about quantum mechanics and yet, based on the way you speak, it doesn't really seem that you do.

'well educated in chemistry and biology and maths not physics' -- What stage of your education are you at? You don't sound well-educated in all that much to be honest. You're probably some year 8 student with an inflated idea of his/her own abilities.

Edit: Just to add, you are, by definition, not 'well educated' in mathematics if you're bad at graphs and equations.
(edited 8 years ago)
According to what you've said, you are crap at everything that matters as far as physics is concerned. You say you don't understand physics, only recite what you hear (memorising and regurgitating for exams), are bad at graphs, equations, and don't understand the basics of physics. So yes, I'm pretty justified in saying that you're crap at physics.

You're not well-educated in maths (or anything else based on your dreadful English) if you're bad at graphs and equations. You're clearly lying about knowing the basics of quantum mechanics. I suggest you get your butt off Wikipedia (which is where I presume you got your "basics of quantum mechanics") and pay more attention in physics class instead of entertaining delusions about "mastering" quantum mechanics.

I'm already educated to a higher level than you so no thanks, I'll sit and make as many "rude" (read: blunt but true) comments as I like.

Reply 13
this guy, huh? :rolleyes:
Reply 14

if you don't understand basic physics u r definitely not going to understand quantum physics where particles can be in two places at once, a cat in a box is both dead and alive at the same time, you may know the position or the speed of an electron but not both and measuring a quantity changes what it is you are measuring and other stuff such as quantum entanglement where it appears as if information is traveling at a superluminal speed. the wave-particle duality theory of matter and electromagnetic radiation and the photoelectric effect is where you should begin once your basic physics is up to scratch. no point in starting building the tallest building in the world if there are no foundations as the tower will just topple over.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest