The Student Room Group

What do you think of Nigeria?

Inspired by the Pakistan thread.

I'm curious about responses and about common stereotypes associated with the country.

Scroll to see replies

I like Nigeria :smile:
Reply 2
Crazy religious people

Violence

But there are a lot of extremely intelligent, hard-working and sociable Nigerians at my university :yep:
They seem to have really good beach parties, they dance well and they know a thing or two about having a good time.

[video="youtube;Snfeoi40cd0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snfeoi40cd0[/video]
Reply 5
Tend to have the funniest and smartest people I've ever met
Extremely boring and repetitive movie industry. (Honestly hate it)
Richest country in Africa (imo)

Spoiler

Things that come into my head: Jollof rice,Suya, Afrobeats,Fela Kuti, the numerous great Nigerian writers, and of course negative things like Boko Haram, corruption etc..

I hope to visit soon!
Complex question! :biggrin:

Well it is the fastest growing country in terms of GDP and population so thumbs up for that.
I think it's the African country that gets the most recognition and it's not totally unjustified with the music (afrobeats), food (egusi soup, Jollof... with fried plantains wtf) and the large diaspora and culture (Chinua Achebe, Fela Kuti, Nollywood xD)
Amongst other Africans there seems a bit of jealousy? My African family thinks Nigerians are quite materialistic? (Dunno if it has any foundation though)
Overall, very complex country with a wide array of tribes, issues...
Identity fraud. Footballers signed on youth contracts when they are really 32.
first thing that comes to mind is
mud :P and friendly people
Reply 10
Original post by Wilfred Little
Identity fraud. Footballers signed on youth contracts when they are really 32.

:lol:
Original post by jedanselemyia
Complex question! :biggrin:

Well it is the fastest growing country in terms of population so thumbs up for that.

Shouldn't that be a bad thing?
Reply 12
Positives: you will never have a shortage of Nigerians in the world, they breed like rabbits and spread quicker than wild fire.

They have a population of 173 million people!!:gasp:

That's a lot of Nigerians to say the least.

Wait that might not be such a good thing after all. :/

Negative: Ghana will always make better Jollof rice.:wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ravenous
Shouldn't that be a bad thing?

Hm depends on the way you see it. Population renewal is assured but yeah the country can't really afford all those mouths to feed in the long run so contraception is fundamental and mentalities need to shift :smile:
Reply 14
Princes who still owe me $50 trillion.
Awesome music. Awesome beaches. Very interesting culture and accents. Beautiful women. The hope of Africa in many ways :P
Original post by jedanselemyia
Hm depends on the way you see it. Population renewal is assured but yeah the country can't really afford all those mouths to feed in the long run so contraception is fundamental and mentalities need to shift :smile:

Also I doubt it's the 'fastest growing', there's surely a lot more poorer countries which will have a higher fertility rate.
Hello my name is John Smith from Lagos. Can i please have your bank account details because my goat is dying of parkinsons disease and I have won the lottery so plz give me ur details becuz the lod jezuz told me to give u some money. That's what I think tbh
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Inspired by the Pakistan thread.

I'm curious about responses and about common stereotypes associated with the country.

Con artists, big booty, slurred speech, holidays to Lagos,
oh yeah and voodoo :smile: since halloween is coming up
Reply 19
Original post by TheSexyApple
Hello my name is John Smith from Lagos. Can i please have your bank account details because my goat is dying of parkinsons disease and I have won the lottery so plz give me ur details becuz the lod jezuz told me to give u some money. That's what I think tbh

:lol:

Quick Reply

Latest