The Student Room Group

How Do YOU Meet People?

Hi guys,

I need a bit of help with trying to meet people. I've came out of a 2 year relationship recently and only have online friends, my girlfriend was the only one I hung out with in person and I really want to meet new people to help me get over it.
So I took my brother to the cinema today and this girl was being friendly and we both seemed interested, but I had no idea how to approach her even for a friendship.

How would you go around getting the number of staff at a cinema, shop, ect?
How can I engage someone on the street for a conversation?

I was in a club recently and someone complicated the band shirt I was wearing but after me initiating a fist bump the music was too loud to have an actual conversation..

Please help!

Scroll to see replies

you walk up and talk to her.

Look around the internet for social groups or for your hobbies, then you get a natural talking point
Reply 2
I don't know, I have never actively looked for friends, I just do my routines or whatever and meet people in the process. I thought this is how everybody did it.
I just walk to people and say (In a posh accent):

"G'Day chap! *tips hat* I haven't seen you in donkeys' years, you old geezer. How have you been dredging along all this while?

Positively spiffing weather we've been having, eh? You know, what do you say to a cup o' tea and some Hob Nobs round Saturday at some cafe?

By the way, thanks for agreeing, you're always woefully kind (you say this directly afterwards). See you there and all the best!"

This is genuinely what I (would) say.
Reply 4
Carry a pile of pieces of paper with your phone number on them :wink:

Throw them at everyone you meet who seems nice...
Original post by Gears265
I don't know, I have never actively looked for friends, I just do my routines or whatever and meet people in the process. I thought this is how everybody did it.

This.

Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
I just walk to people and say (In a posh accent):

"G'Day chap! *tips hat* I haven't seen you in donkeys' years, you old geezer. How have you been dredging along all this while?

Positively spiffing weather we've been having, eh? You know, what do you say to a cup o' tea and some Hob Nobs round Saturday at some cafe?

By the way, thanks for agreeing, you're always woefully kind (you say this directly afterwards). See you there and all the best!"

This is genuinely what I (would) say.

Haha. To be honest I wouldn't mind being spoken to like that. It beats the usual slang.
Well I mainly go to work and do my workouts at home everyday so don't have a lot of time to do stuff.. Considered a part time job as I'm only 19 but won't be earning as much..
Reply 7
Original post by Alexion
Carry a pile of pieces of paper with your phone number on them :wink:

Throw them at everyone you meet who seems nice...

Aha I've considered this! Although heard it sounds arrogant to just hand someone your work card with number ect :P
Any other advice is appreciated thanks!
I met most of my friends at school, college and university. Although I didn't really have friends at uni, I just met people through my college friends and they happened to go to my university. I met my best friend online a good 11-12 years ago. Do any of your online friends live near you?
Original post by phunky_fresh
I met most of my friends at school, college and university. Although I didn't really have friends at uni, I just met people through my college friends and they happened to go to my university. I met my best friend online a good 11-12 years ago. Do any of your online friends live near you?

Well I used to be anti social at school ironically so never had the guts to really interact but I've changed a lot and really outgoing now, just the timing sucks as now everyone remembers me as the 'uncool' guy!

Also none of the online friends really do live nearby, I'm on a lot of online social websites but of course everyone is judgey on them and it's hard to show a personality.

Sorry if it seems like I'm ruling everything out, just want to make it clear how limited I am!
Reply 11
Just meet friends through friends.
Through interest groups usually.
Original post by Anonymous
Aha I've considered this! Although heard it sounds arrogant to just hand someone your work card with number ect :P

Depends how you do it.

You can also talk about common stuff then ask them to go for a drink that's pretty common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scott.
Just meet friends through friends.

I think you would need friends in the first place for this to work :P
Original post by paul514
Depends how you do it.

You can also talk about common stuff then ask them to go for a drink that's pretty common.

Yeah, I've heard people say to ask how long they've been working there and if they enjoy their job then if would like to go out some time, but I feel they're too boring or cliché?
Lasso
Hi guys,

I need a bit of help with trying to meet people. I've came out of a 2 year relationship recently and only have online friends, my girlfriend was the only one I hung out with in person and I really want to meet new people to help me get over it.
So I took my brother to the cinema today and this girl was being friendly and we both seemed interested, but I had no idea how to approach her even for a friendship.

How would you go around getting the number of staff at a cinema, shop, ect?
How can I engage someone on the street for a conversation?

I was in a club recently and someone complicated the band shirt I was wearing but after me initiating a fist bump the music was too loud to have an actual conversation..

Please help!

Hmm, i think meeting people most of the time just comes naturally, but if you're out there seeking to meet other people, then definitely hit up some bars/clubs. Gyms are a also good way to meet people new people. Or if you're at the cinema and see a real cute girl- go up to her and start a conversation :smile:
Original post by loveleest
Hmm, i think meeting people most of the time just comes naturally, but if you're out there seeking to meet other people, then definitely hit up some bars/clubs. Gyms are a also good way to meet people new people. Or if you're at the cinema and see a real cute girl- go up to her and start a conversation :smile:

I don't have a great social life at the moment so natural sounds difficult currently :frown: I enjoy clubs and the alcohol definitely makes social situations easier but always find it difficult to have a conversation over the loud music - it still confuses me how people connect when they can barely hear each other!
I don't have a great social life at the moment so natural sounds difficult currently :frown: I enjoy clubs and the alcohol definitely makes social situations easier but always find it difficult to have a conversation over the loud music - it still confuses me how people connect when they can barely hear each other!

Hmm, I understand what you mean. Do you not have at least 1 real good close friend that could introduce you to other people? maybe before you enter the bar or when you leave, you can start up a conversation (preferably the latter) with girls. I don't know what goes on in your area, but there are also a few events that you can go to that allows you to meet people such as watching performing arts, theatres, shows. Or if you know a mutual friend that's throwing a house party, wedding, etc try and get involved. Most importantly be confident and try not to force a conversation too much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending