The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

What course relates to a career in intelligence anaylsis?

I'm doing my UCAS and I can't find a course that will relate to a career in intelligence analysis besides computer science. My A levels I study are English language, sociology and law so I'm struggling to find a degree within relation to them and the career I want. Any ideas which degree would be practical for getting a job at an intelligence agency such as GCHQ
You’ll need good IT skills and to be confident in using the internet, databases, spreadsheets, word processing and presentation software. The intelligence agencies like MI5 run graduate recruitment schemes.

I supposed any computer/technology degree will be enough for you to do an MA in a specific field related to the career you want. If you look on the GCHQ careers page it will have the requirements for the job you want (some don't need a bachelors degree) http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/apply-now.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by digitalangel18
You’ll need good IT skills and to be confident in using the internet, databases, spreadsheets, word processing and presentation software. The intelligence agencies like MI5 run graduate recruitment schemes.

I supposed any computer/technology degree will be enough for you to do an MA in a specific field related to the career you want. If you look on the GCHQ careers page it will have the requirements for the job you want (some don't need a bachelors degree) http://www.gchq-careers.co.uk/apply-now.html

I was looking at their site earlier and for the intelligence analyst role it does say they require a degree with a 2:1 or 2:2 with relevant experience but it doesn't say a field the degree should be in. I would apply for a computing degree but my A levels don't fit in with them and admittedly I'm not sure that programming would be for me as I've never done it
Original post by BradMorgan97
I was looking at their site earlier and for the intelligence analyst role it does say they require a degree with a 2:1 or 2:2 with relevant experience but it doesn't say a field the degree should be in. I would apply for a computing degree but my A levels don't fit in with them and admittedly I'm not sure that programming would be for me as I've never done it

I think it depends what uni you want to go to, you can do just Computing where most uni's just require a certain amount of UCAS points such as 300-320. Leeds Beckett only require 280 and GCSE Maths and English. If you find somewhere like that it's all about the passion you can show in your personal statement :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by digitalangel18
I think it depends what uni you want to go to, you can do just Computing where most uni's just require a certain amount of UCAS points such as 300-320. Leeds Beckett only require 280 and GCSE Maths and English. If you find somewhere like that it's all about the passion you can show in your personal statement :smile:

I'm not really too bothered about what uni it is I suppose. And yeah I suppose it is about my personal statement, I was just thinking that they might not allow me to start the course as I didn't have math or IT as an a level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending