The Student Room Group

Anyone given up on love?

Not sure if i should be feeling this way at 20 but, has anyone else given up on love? And is more into having "fun" / "going with the flow"...

Maybe due to negative views on relationships and such.. or am I just too pessimistic?

Scroll to see replies

You seem very young to be giving up on love. You have your whole life stretching in front of you to find it! Actually, instead of finding it, it tends to find you... you'll experience it when you least expect it. For now, just concentrate on other areas of life, be yourself, and the rest will fall into place.
I have love, so why would I give up on it?
Reply 3
I have. It's overrated :smile: I prefer being on my own, where there's nobody to annoy me, nobody to impress. I hate being under constant pressure of making someone happy. No need for relationships. Studying and graduating with a first is my priority. I don't want to fail university and be a miserable person with no end goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's absolutely no need to give up on it! :no:

I guess you just need to go with the flow and believe that you'll find "the one" eventually :h:

If anything, it's that belief that gets you over the disappointment of each relationship that didn't work out :smile:
Love is an illusion, it doesn't exist.

When you finally feel like you're in love, and you will...everyone does...be careful not to make it irrational choices like marriage.
I've come close to doing for sure but never completely as theres always another opportunity to find it if you're willing to try
Not really sure what love is, I've never felt it towards anyone. Decent concept for films though.
Do what makes you happy :-)
Original post by Moonstruck16

you like love?
Original post by PusE
I have. It's overrated :smile: I prefer being on my own, where there's nobody to annoy me, nobody to impress. I hate being under constant pressure of making someone happy. No need for relationships. Studying and graduating with a first is my priority. I don't want to fail university and be a miserable person with no end goal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But in contrast that attitude made me depressed and fail uni >_>

But of course I'm optimistic in this area since I'm ignorant of it. Still, loneliness sucks. I guess some people are just more emotionally needy than others...
(edited 8 years ago)
You give up on love the day your pet rejects you hun
Reply 13
Original post by TorpidPhil
But in contrast that attitude made me depressed and fail uni >_>

But of course I'm optimistic in this area since I'm ignorant of it. Still, loneliness sucks. I guess some people are just more emotionally needy than others...

Loneliness does suck, but it's better than hoping for things and then getting disappointed.

And hi :smile: it's been a while since we spoke

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
You give up on love the day your pet rejects you hun

Wow strong words, well said! I agree, evidence of love is in our innocents! Babies/children and pets.
Original post by PusE
Loneliness does suck, but it's better than hoping for things and then getting disappointed.

And hi :smile: it's been a while since we spoke

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it is. There's little point at all if you don't have hope. Like, literally, what's the point living? You may say there are other things to hope for than relationships yet I wouldn't be satisfied until I have a successful one. So... It is very important. It's absolutely fundamental.

Hi lol XD

I'm exceptionally tired tonight... Had a tiring week and the weekend was no less so with police training 9-5 each day. It was worse actually since it was physical stuff this weekend. So my eyelids are struggling to stay open now.

Hope uni is treating you well :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
you like love?

I like loving somebody else. It's an emotion that isn't easy but is worth it. That being said, I don't need to love somebody right now. I'm happy as I am. Just in the past it's been nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Awesome Genius
Love is an illusion, it doesn't exist.

When you finally feel like you're in love, and you will...everyone does...be careful not to make it irrational choices like marriage.

I echo your thoughts.

The sooner people realise this, the better.
you're not alone, I made a thread about celibacy that you can follow here if you want:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3619133
Original post by Moonstruck16
I like loving somebody else. It's an emotion that isn't easy but is worth it. That being said, I don't need to love somebody right now. I'm happy as I am. Just in the past it's been nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

so would you say that the idea of love is just something that 'feels nice' and we weigh more on the positives when in reality, it is about compromising and making one vulnerable to a stage you will be hurt so many times and YET still want to be with someone that makes you happy for those "moments"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending