The Student Room Group

Why are we giving social housing to immigrants from Poland, Bulgaria, Croatia etc?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Exactly (and I never even mentioned native homesless people?!?! My point was who we are admitting to the country because of the EU).

I certainly think there's a strong argument to give British people priority with social housing, yes.
Maybe because migrant people are usually willing to work and are probably more skilled in comparison to homeless people who cannot take care of themselves even in their native country? Some migrants come to the UK without any knowledge of the language, but still manage to get low skilled/paid jobs and contribute towards something whilst homeless people can't even settle properly in the country where their native language is being spoken!
Original post by chantalc
-Freedom of Travel and Work. Being in the EU means British students have the opportunity to study anywhere in the UK. Its okay when British people want to exploit the poor economic situation in countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal etc. to buy holiday homes out there, who complains about the EU then?
-Security I'd rather be in the EU than being a lonely, isolated island. The European Trade Warrant would be taken away from us.
-Single Market. The EU is the UK's biggest trade partner, worth more than £400bn a year
-Jobs Thousands of jobs would be lost as global companies would relocate to cheaper EU countries

Couldn't be said any better.
Original post by 0123456543210
Couldn't be said any better.

people are quick to cry about being in the EU but don't actually realise how much it benefits us, plus we pay so little compared to our total GDP
Reply 44
-Freedom of Travel and Work. Being in the EU means British students have the opportunity to study anywhere in the UK. Its okay when British people want to exploit the poor economic situation in countries such as Spain, Greece, Portugal etc. to buy holiday homes out there, who complains about the EU then?
-Security I'd rather be in the EU than being a lonely, isolated island. The European Trade Warrant would be taken away from us.
-Single Market. The EU is the UK's biggest trade partner, worth more than £400bn a year
-Jobs Thousands of jobs would be lost as global companies would relocate to cheaper EU countries

Let me come clean- I tricked you and you fell for it. Let me elaborate:

You said we have to give to receive. We are giving Eastern EU migrants houses, so what do we receive? All the things you listed, Eastern EU migrant countries also receive.

I want to know what the UK receives from the EU, which balances-out the fact we are housing 10,000 Eastern EU migrants per year? For example, you cannot say "EU free trade", because Poland gets that too. Therefore, Poland gets the free trade AND it gets its citizens housed in the UK.

I want to know what the UK receives, not what every EU country receives.

I also find it hilarious how the EU forces all member states not to discriminate between its own citizens and migrants with regards to social welfare but doesn't enforce all countries to have an equal welfare system. So Britain must give Romanian migrants lots of dosh, but a British person in Romania receives nothing because Romania's welfare system is non-existent. Yeah, thats fair to British people :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
Actually homeless people cannot work because they require a bank account to be paid and you cannot have a bank account if you are homeless....

This is how the Big Issue started.....

Isn't that basically what I said? I didn't say it's only due to social stigma and discrimination. Technically yes they don't have a bank account so they can't work, but also because most employers wouldn't prefer to employ a homeless person instead of those with more stable financial situation. Therefore they discriminate against poorer people. Two words - poverty trap...
Let me come clean- I tricked you and you fell for it. Let me elaborate:

You said we have to give to receive. We are giving Eastern EU migrants houses, so what do we receive?

All the things you listed, Eastern EU migrant countries also receive.

I want to know what the UK receives from the EU, which balances-out the fact we are housing 10,000 Eastern EU migrants per year?

For example, you cannot say "EU free trade", because Poland gets that too. Therefore, Poland gets the free trade AND it gets its citizens housed in the UK.

I want to know what the UK gets, not what everybody in EU gets.

you make so sense and if I came up with something that the UK gets without giving anything, it would be contradicting my original point.
Reply 47
you make so sense and if I came up with something that the UK gets without giving anything, it would be contradicting my original point.

Exactly..... :wink: There isn't really anything the UK gets........ the EU is a one-way ticket.

The EU is like a marriage between a rich and poor person. Only the poor person benefits....
(edited 8 years ago)
Racism. Apparently low skilled, low net worth individuals from Europe are ok.

But high skilled, net worth individuals from outside are not.
Reply 49
Original post by Bill_Gates

Source? This is just your opinion. Where is the evidence?

You know what truly brings low net worth? People living on nothing but benefits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mark36
Source? This is just your opinion. Where is the evidence?

You know what truly brings low net worth? People living on nothing but benefits.

You just need to look at the ethnic demographics and net worth.

Indians, Chinese fair way better than anyone else. They are all flocking to the US/Canada now rather than the UK.

Winners? US/Canada.
people are quick to cry about being in the EU but don't actually realise how much it benefits us, plus we pay so little compared to our total GDP

Should just ignore all the ignorant EDL and BNP supporters, usually all those people who cry about immigrants taking away their jobs are those chavs who live off benefits and who don't seek any way to improve their quality of life. Migrants don't take jobs or housing, it's the lack of education and determination of those people who cry about it that does!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
Should just ignore all the ignorant EDL and BNP supporters, usually all those people who cry about immigrants taking away their jobs are those who live off benefits and who don't seek any way to improve their quality of life. Migrants don't take jobs and housing, it's the lack of education and determination of those people who cry about it that does!

How can migrants not take housing if 10,000 Eastern EU migrants were given social housing and there are British people on the waiting list for years?
How can migrants not take housing if 10,000 Eastern EU migrants were given social housing and there are British people on the waiting list for years?

Maybe because migrant people are usually willing to work and are probably more skilled in comparison to British people who cannot take care of themselves even in their native country?
Reply 54
Maybe because migrant people are usually willing to work and are probably more skilled in comparison to British people who cannot take care of themselves even in their native country?

You said earlier migrants weren't taking social housing:

Migrants don't take jobs or housing

are you now admitting they are?
Reply 55
You just need to look at the ethnic demographics and net worth.

Indians, Chinese fair way better than anyone else. They are all flocking to the US/Canada now rather than the UK.

Winners? US/Canada.

http://www.poverty.org.uk/06/index.shtml says:

"Around two-fifths of people from ethnic minorities live in low-income households, twice the rate for White people. Within this, there are big variations by ethnic group. More specifically, the proportion of people who live in low-income households is:

20% for White people.

30% for Indians and Black Caribbeans.

50% for Black Africans.

60% for Pakistanis.

70% for Bangladeshis."

[*]I'm not going to argue about the Chinese or USA/Canada as I don't have enough information, but how the hell do Indians fare better than everyone else? Relatively to most other minorities - maybe yes, but definitely not than white people, judging from numbers above. Why is no major media talking about the issue of poverty in general, why do they insist on scapegoating EVERYTHING on minorities when they're really not that better off? That's lazy logic to me, you can't just blame everything on immigration.
(edited 8 years ago)
You said earlier migrants weren't taking social housing:

are you now admitting they are?

You misunderstood my original point: "Migrants don't take jobs and housing, it's the lack of education and determination of those people who cry about it that does!"

All I am saying is that most of the brits who didn't get the housing probably didn't deserve it to begin with. Why our government should give housing to its citizens if they are inferior to those coming from the EU?

I've said the same thing on here before and you're right. The current immigration system is racist because Europeans, regardless of what they bring, are given privilege over Asians, Africans, South Africans etc for literally no reason what so ever other than they're European.

I'm no UKIP guy by any means but this is why people who say UKIP are racist are absolutely brainless because they're supporting a system which is a lot more racist than UKIP's point-based policy which does not discriminate over where you're from. If you have what we need, you're in. If not, you're not. No privilege for being a European.

The point is these migrant people who take social housing aren't looking after themselves either because they're taking social housing! Are you really this dense?
Original post by mark36
http://www.poverty.org.uk/06/index.shtml says:

"Around two-fifths of people from ethnic minorities live in low-income households, twice the rate for White people. Within this, there are big variations by ethnic group. More specifically, the proportion of people who live in low-income households is:

20% for White people.

30% for Indians and Black Caribbeans.

50% for Black Africans.

60% for Pakistanis.

70% for Bangladeshis."

[*]I'm not going to argue about the Chinese or USA/Canada as I don't have enough information, but how the hell do Indians fare better than everyone else? Relatively to most other minorities - maybe yes, but definitely not than white people, judging from numbers above. Why is no major media talking about the issue of poverty in general, why do they insist on scapegoating EVERYTHING on minorities when they're really not that better off? That's lazy logic to me, you can't just blame everything on immigration.

*face palm*. Indians consist of a wide variety of individuals. Let's break it down by religion:

Median net wealth

Jewish £422,000
Sikh £229,000
Christian £223,000
Hindu £206,000
Muslim £42,000
No religion £138,000

Anyway enjoy your low skilled, low net worth migration.

Quick Reply

Latest