The Student Room Group

What would you do with £3,000 in savings?

I've just turned 25, graduated awhile ago from a pretty crappy uni/course, unable to get a "proper" job, stuck working in TK maxx desperately been trying to save for an MA at Durham university or even Stockhlom University in Sweden (as it's free)

I've come to the realisation I will never be able to save the minimum of £8,000 needed. So what should I do now? Internship? Volunteer abroad?

I want to put the money to good use as you can imagine it took ages saving up on minmum wage!

.....What should I do with it?

Scroll to see replies

Why not try and get a student ship to do a masters :smile: idk what subject you're doing, but in the institute of physic mag there's always loads of adverts for PhD and masters. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by small.littlefish
I've just turned 25, graduated awhile ago from a pretty crappy uni/course, unable to get a "proper" job, stuck working in TK maxx desperately been trying to save for an MA at Durham university or even Stockhlom University in Sweden (as it's free)

I've come to the realisation I will never be able to save the minimum of £8,000 needed. So what should I do now? Internship? Volunteer abroad?

I want to put the money to good use as you can imagine it took ages saving up on minmum wage!

.....What should I do with it?

I'd keep it in cash savings while looking for a new job.
Original post by MattyJMP
Why not try and get a student ship to do a masters :smile: idk what subject you're doing, but in the institute of physic mag there's always loads of adverts for PhD and masters. Best of luck :smile:

I've not heard of a student ship? I applied for the CDL but got rejected last year, and I'm not holding my breath for the 2016 MA loans...

I'm doing International Relations. And thanks.
Reply 4
Find the highest interest account i could.
Blow it on coke and hookers.
Original post by Rakas21
Find the highest interest account i could.

Doesn't really help me now though.
Hmm, keep saving. Use it for an msc or some sort of training course or unpaid internship in order to sustain yourself.
I've not heard of a student ship? I applied for the CDL but got rejected last year, and I'm not holding my breath for the 2016 MA loans...

I'm doing International Relations. And thanks.

I think a studentship is pretty much the same as a scholorship, just might help if you're searching online. Yeah, I don't know anything about that, but have a look online at institutes (might be one for political sciences or something) and have a look if they're advertising. Otherwise have a look at universities and see what they offer for postgrads, even an email or phone call won't hurt anything! And if you don't mind going abroad, there's loooooads of opportunities. I'm looking at this IoP mag now, and there's literally 25 pages of "graduate recruitment" from paid PhDs to 3 month intern programs
Original post by DiddyDec
Blow it on coke and hookers.

I'm a girl.
I'm a girl.

You get male hookers.
Original post by Bill_Gates
Hmm, keep saving. Use it for an msc or some sort of training course or unpaid internship in order to sustain yourself.

Yeah, I'm looking for an internship. A msc is still so expensive, even if I do it abroad for free I'll still need at least £7,000 to live for a year (even if I work P/T). I just don't think I can save that amount of money.
You get male hookers.

I'm okay, I have a boyfriend thanks.
I'm okay, I have a boyfriend thanks.

The more the merrier.
Yeah, I'm looking for an internship. A msc is still so expensive, even if I do it abroad for free I'll still need at least £7,000 to live for a year (even if I work P/T). I just don't think I can save that amount of money.

What did you graduate in and from where, if you don't me asking. Teaching?
What did you graduate in and from where, if you don't me asking. Teaching?

I tried teaching and SUCKED at it haha!!

I did Sociology from Birmingham City University.
The more the merrier.

He'd probably be up for it to be fair...Haha!

Not many options im afraid. Naturally for sociology i would expect teaching maybe even policing. Maybe start a small business for yourself?

What kinds of jobs have you been looking at? Ever tried applying to charities or the government?
Not many options im afraid. Naturally for sociology i would expect teaching maybe even policing. Maybe start a small business for yourself?

Yeah I know, that's why I wanted to do an MA. Most people my age with decent jobs have an MA in a similar field, a BA degree especially in Sociology is pretty rubbish.

Quick Reply

Latest