The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels

I just wanted other opinions on what to choose for my four A-Levels.
I am almost certain that i want to do maths and physics.
however for the next two i am having troubles.
i cant decide between choosing two from: Economics, Biology or Geography.
Other potential options are: Business and German (i am 95% sure that i won't do these)

I want some advice on which a Levels you think complement each other from the above, which are the most sought after (jobs, uni etc) and finally which are considered the hardest? (take into consideration that i despise vast amounts essay writing)

Thank you.
Original post by Alex Henderson
Other potential options are: Business and German (i am 95% sure that i won't do these)

I want some advice on which a Levels you think complement each other from the above, which are the most sought after (jobs, uni etc) and finally which are considered the hardest? (take into consideration that i despise vast amounts essay writing)

Thank you.

From my experience, it is kind of pointless choosing Biology without Chemistry as it is restricting the amount of Sciencey degrees you can do.

What are you thinking about doing at uni or for a job? Geography is a nice contrast yet Economics is a nice fit for maths and physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you.

What do your want to do after a levels? Both economics and geography would go well with your options, but if you have any idea about your future then check what you need for their degrees.

Imo biology seems very chemisty based so you may prefer to take that. Also, you only need do 3 A Levels, any more than that is unnecessary especially if you won't be taking AS levels.

Good luck!

Thank you.

It depends on what exam board that you will be sitting with on what sort of style the exam is with essay writing, biology will have the least amount of essay writing whist both geography and economics will have a bit off essay writing.
I studied both geography and biology and have continued both onto A2, both of these subjects I enjoyed throughly but geography had a lot of information and facts to learn. I can't comment on economics however geography can be classed as a 'science' so would fit into you current subjects.
Have you considered chemistry? maths, physics, biology and chemistry is a good combination :smile:
However, it all depends on what you feel you will enjoy the most, talk to your teachers and see what they say :smile:
Original post by Ben4
From my experience, it is kind of pointless choosing Biology without Chemistry as it is restricting the amount of Sciencey degrees you can do.

What are you thinking about doing at uni or for a job? Geography is a nice contrast yet Economics is a nice fit for maths and physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am leaning towards physics and maths based subjects such as (civil) engineering (i haven't yet thought about what i want to do at university in detail) and at the moment i have to say that i am not interested in doing chemistry
Original post by Megjones98
It depends on what exam board that you will be sitting with on what sort of style the exam is with essay writing, biology will have the least amount of essay writing whist both geography and economics will have a bit off essay writing.
I studied both geography and biology and have continued both onto A2, both of these subjects I enjoyed throughly but geography had a lot of information and facts to learn. I can't comment on economics however geography can be classed as a 'science' so would fit into you current subjects.
Have you considered chemistry? maths, physics, biology and chemistry is a good combination :smile:
However, it all depends on what you feel you will enjoy the most, talk to your teachers and see what they say :smile:

Thanks. I will bear this in mind :smile:
Reply 6

Thank you.

Maths, Physics, Economics, and Geography is a good combination. Biology would seem out of place, but you should choose what you enjoy the most. At one point I was doing Maths, English, Geography, Music Technology, and Media I chose what I enjoyed and it turned out well. You can always swap subjects after about a month if you change your mind about them. :smile:
Reply 7
If you're leaning towards an engineering career, I'd suggest leaving Biology - it tells universities that you've cemented your interest in the career of engineering. But thinking about it, if you want to do Biophysics, Biology is certainly not a bad idea!

I think Economics would add another extra dimension to your studies - a bit more application to the real world. However, Geography is one of those traditional subjects and is broad, you'll get to learn about both physical and human geography. An extra thing to think about though, have you thought of trying out Further Maths? Even if you just do AS Further Maths, it'll help introduce some exciting things you'll find in engineering at university and enhance your UCAS stuff. I'd recommend Further Maths, I think if you're a physics person, you'll enjoy it. I know that sometimes schools aren't able to offer FM - don't worry, you've got maths and physics, they'll always be the two essentials. Good luck mate!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RDB1826
If you're leaning towards an engineering career, I'd suggest leaving Biology - it tells universities that you've cemented your interest in the career of engineering. But thinking about it, if you want to do Biophysics, Biology is certainly not a bad idea!

I think Economics would add another extra dimension to your studies - a bit more application to the real world. However, Geography is one of those traditional subjects and is broad, you'll get to learn about both physical and human geography. An extra thing to think about though, have you thought of trying out Further Maths? Even if you just do AS Further Maths, it'll help introduce some exciting things you'll find in engineering at university and enhance your UCAS stuff. I'd recommend Further Maths, I think if you're a physics person, you'll enjoy it. I know that sometimes schools aren't able to offer FM - don't worry, you've got maths and physics, they'll always be the two essentials. Good luck mate!

Thanks!
my school does offer FM, It is an option, however my school has quite a poor set of results and it seems like a lot of work!

Quick Reply

Latest