The Student Room Group

Does psychosis count as extenuating circumstances?

edited
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

yeah i think so! sometimes places are lenient just because they like you and what youve done outside of school, so if you do also have a valid medical or psychological problem then they cant argue with that! still great grades after all :-)
how do you mean the course you applied for? a degree course? have you just applied for 2016 entry? if so, do you have any back ups? like i said, you have great grades and a very valid reason why they arent even higher, but even then sometimes places just dont make exceptions unfortunately :/ but whatever happens im sure you have a very good chance, and if it doesnt work out you will have loads of other options :-) good luck!
If you can show them proof and that it will not effect the course. Most places are pretty good about it.
Reply 3
edited
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
edited
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by yoshimatey
Okay, thanks! :smile:

I had extenuating circumstances when I applied to uni and they didn't even ask for evidence. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
thanks a lot. it was medicine at cambridge that i applied for, which is pretty much the hardest degree to get into :frown:

yes, i have back-ups fortunately. i have heard that keele accept A*AB for medicine

ah well then, i would certainly say that any other possible option youve considered is probably still amazing!! anyway, doing medicine at all is fantastic. well done for doing so well, i have two friends who want to be doctors, one who didnt originally aimed for somewhere like cambridge, and who is really clever and hard working, but of course its so competitive shes now at brighton and having a really good time, and she got AAB, so of course studying medicine even without extenuating circumstances with grades less than yours is possible! even a friend of mine who only got an offer for medical sciences im sure is still going to find a way to make it work. youll do great im sure!
Have you recovered from the psychosis?

I only ask as I tried to do university while suffering from it and it was a really difficult thing to do. Especially if you're studying something as prestigious and difficult as medicine. Perhaps a year out (defer) to sort out the psychosis might be better than pushing ahead when it's already affected your grades? I'll never forgive myself for ending up with a 2:2 due to it when I could have taken the time out but instead pushed onwards.
Reply 8
edited
(edited 5 years ago)
thanks a lot. it was medicine at cambridge that i applied for, which is pretty much the hardest degree to get into :frown:

yes, i have back-ups fortunately. i have heard that keele accept A*AB for medicine

Actually its maths because you need A*A*A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
edited
(edited 5 years ago)
I think taking a year out would be a good idea... but I can't stand living at home. My family are awful and ignorant.

edit: what meds were/are you on? mine are rubbish

I don't entirely know how benefits work but could you move out and get housing benefit to get/share a place? Might be something to look into if your family are that bad. Not to mention, psychosis can mean disability benefit too if it's severe enough that you're not able to work. But yeah, perhaps look into it. Your CPN should be able to help you if you have one.

I'm on quetiapine and haldol. They work well for me, but I've spent most of the last 8 years trying different combinations. Partly why my university experience was so difficult - side effects from meds that weren't really helping with psychosis along with the actual psychosis itself. :frown: If your meds aren't working, definitely tell your psychiatrist, there are many options. I hope you feel better soon. :smile:
Reply 12
edited
(edited 5 years ago)
pretty sure i applied for medicine thanks

No you said that medicine is one of the hardest degrees but its actually maths. I know you know you applied for maths it was clear

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
No you said that medicine is one of the hardest degrees but its actually maths. I know you know you applied for maths it was clear

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mean medicine haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
edited
(edited 5 years ago)
oh, i understand now. both medicine and maths are A*A*A at cambridge

Ohhhh I thought it was A*AA haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
In all honesty, I wouldn't worry if Cambridge does end up rejecting you - they'd probably be doing you a favour. Experiencing psychosis at Oxbridge is not fun - take it from someone who knows :frown:

I too would recommend delaying your studies if at all possible until you are stabilised and have entered the recovery phase :smile:

Good luck with getting into med schools! Like I say, it's far from the end of the world if Cambridge rejects you. I hope you mentioned it on the extenuating circumstances form they have and that it's in your teacher's reference. If not, maybe find out the appropriate way of contacting your first-choice college about this. It's always better for your school or your doctor (if they will accept a doctor's note direct) to make the contact with Cambridge rather than you :yes:
Reply 18
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Ohhhh I thought it was A*AA haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes, sorry for the misunderstanding :smile:
Reply 19
edited
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending