The Student Room Group

4th A level option

I've chosen 3 A levels and I have to take exams in 4 for 16+ exams.
I want to take physics, maths, chemistry and further maths but apparently at one of the schools I am applying for, they'll only decide if I can do further maths at the interview (if I get that far)
My options now in case I'm not allowed to do Further Maths are:
- English lit or English lang
- Drama
- PE (I'm asthmatic and suffer from chronic ankle instability)
- Tech
- Philosophy or RS (My mum, although very religious, doesn't look favourably upon either...)
Opinions on all of these?
I'm pretty maths/sciency but I do well at English and I love drama.... (and sports - but that's kinda hard when you twist your ankle at least 5 times a day)
thanks,
:smile:
Pick the subject you enjoy most/best in or has some benefit for the course you want to do at university, if you do want to go to university
Reply 2
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I've chosen 3 A levels and I have to take exams in 4 for 16+ exams.
I want to take physics, maths, chemistry and further maths but apparently at one of the schools I am applying for, they'll only decide if I can do further maths at the interview (if I get that far)
My options now in case I'm not allowed to do Further Maths are:
- English lit or English lang
- Drama
- PE (I'm asthmatic and suffer from chronic ankle instability)
- Tech
- Philosophy or RS (My mum, although very religious, doesn't look favourably upon either...)
Opinions on all of these?
I'm pretty maths/sciency but I do well at English and I love drama.... (and sports - but that's kinda hard when you twist your ankle at least 5 times a day)
thanks,
:smile:

do what you think you will get a good grade at and something that relates to what degree you want to do
Just ace the interview and do further maths
Original post by Abb97
Pick the subject you enjoy most/best in or has some benefit for the course you want to do at university, if you do want to go to university

Original post by 12284
do what you think you will get a good grade at and something that relates to what degree you want to do

I want to do combined physics/maths at uni.... I don't really think any of them have much to do with that....
I'd get a good grade in English lit or philosophy or rs - I guess....

I'll probably end up doing it in English - I hate English!!!
Original post by tanyapotter
Just ace the interview and do further maths

Don't I wish it was that easy!
I have to get through the non-calculator exam first - What maths exam is non-calculator? (Ok, like all the GCSE exams apart from IGCSE)
Original post by iwishicouldfly14
I want to do combined physics/maths at uni.... I don't really think any of them have much to do with that....
I'd get a good grade in English lit or philosophy or rs - I guess....

I'll probably end up doing it in English - I hate English!!!

My advice is: if you don't like a subject, don't do it at A-Level! Also, don't take a subject just because you did well at GCSE!
I made this mistake with a couple of my A-Levels, and I found that the subjects you enjoy are the ones you do best at.
At the end of the day take something you're going to actually like studying rather than one that you think will 'look good' on your application. Doing an A-Level in something you hate is awful, trust me! :wink:
Original post by PurpleCherry
My advice is: if you don't like a subject, don't do it at A-Level! Also, don't take a subject just because you did well at GCSE!
I made this mistake with a couple of my A-Levels, and I found that the subjects you enjoy are the ones you do best at.
At the end of the day take something you're going to actually like studying rather than one that you think will 'look good' on your application. Doing an A-Level in something you hate is awful, trust me! :wink:

I don't like any of them apart from PE and Drama. I love drama but I'm not great at it - I'm predicted a B and maybe I'll get an A - only be cause of the theory side of it....
I hate most of my subjects now apart from PE, drama, maths, physics and chemistry....
I think it might be a requirement that I have further maths - but I don't know.
If I stay at my current (state) school I'll easily be allowed to take it,
Out of those, English Literature is a 'facilitating A-Level' which universities look favourably upon. However, it comes down to what you enjoy and what you would do best at, so perhaps PE isn't the best option! I am sure you will be allowed to do further maths, but it is very wise to plan a back-up options just in case.
Original post by CatusStarbright
Out of those, English Literature is a 'facilitating A-Level' which universities look favourably upon. However, it comes down to what you enjoy and what you would do best at, so perhaps PE isn't the best option! I am sure you will be allowed to do further maths, but it is very wise to plan a back-up options just in case.

I'll probably do English lit....
Thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest