The Student Room Group

Is it okay to eat in a restaurant alone??

Basically I want to take a shopping trip into town but I really like shopping on my own because I go to shops on my own and I can browse whatever I want to look at in my own time. I kind of want to have lunch at a restaurant that I like but do you think it would be weird if I sat in a restaurant on my own? Like I'd probably have a book so it's not like I'd just be sitting there staring into space, but if I ask a friend to come with me then I have to go to shops they want to go to and I can't spend as long as I want looking at stuff idk, would you judge someone who is 17 sitting in a restaurant on their own?

Scroll to see replies

Why care about the world? Do your own thing. Who are they to judge?
Of course. Seat by the window please.
No. I used to go to KFC when I went to college every week. Because I kept ordering the same thing the staff started making fun of me. :frown:
I'd only be able to do it in Nandos. Not sure of any other restaurant that I wouldn't feel conscious about eating alone in. But that's just me.
Original post by liquity
Basically I want to take a shopping trip into town but I really like shopping on my own because I go to shops on my own and I can browse whatever I want to look at in my own time. I kind of want to have lunch at a restaurant that I like but do you think it would be weird if I sat in a restaurant on my own? Like I'd probably have a book so it's not like I'd just be sitting there staring into space, but if I ask a friend to come with me then I have to go to shops they want to go to and I can't spend as long as I want looking at stuff idk, would you judge someone who is 17 sitting in a restaurant on their own?

You're overthinking it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating/drinking alone.
Reply 6
who cares about other judgmental people?
Reply 7
Original post by AnonymousForLife
Why care about the world? Do your own thing. Who are they to judge?

I suppose, I just don't want to feel uncomfortable because I know that people are judging me?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Of course. Seat by the window please.

I think people watching would look a bit weird though
Original post by william walker
No. I used to go to KFC when I went to college every week. Because I kept ordering the same thing the staff started making fun of me. :frown:

Riiightttt....
Of course it's okay. Why would it be weird? I'm not sure why you'd ask that. Why on earth would you be judged for sitting in a restaurant? As long as you're respectful and considerate of others (ie keeping noise to a minimum, eating with the your mouth closed) then it's completely fine. I must be missing something.
Reply 9
Original post by Ahmed766
You're overthinking it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with eating/drinking alone.

But won't people think ha she has no friends???
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I'd only be able to do it in Nandos. Not sure of any other restaurant that I wouldn't feel conscious about eating alone in. But that's just me.

Why only Nando's?
Original post by sdotd
who cares about other judgmental people?

Well, me I guess. I know I shouldn't but I can't help it
Reply 10
Original post by Thickfreakness
Of course it's okay. Why would it be weird? I'm not sure why you'd ask that. Why on earth would you be judged for sitting in a restaurant? As long as you're respectful and considerate of others (ie keeping noise to a minimum, eating with the your mouth closed) then it's completely fine. I must be missing something.

I would feel uncomfortable knowing that people were judging me
Original post by liquity
would you judge someone who is 17 sitting in a restaurant on their own?

I would judge them to be an independent person with their act together.
Go for it :tea:

(and take a book to read if you feel you might feel awkward - works every time in my experience)
I would go to somewhere like mcdonalds, KFC or something alone but not a proper restaurant such as Bella Italia, Chiquitos etc where they seat you and you would be like "table for one". It just seems a bit much if you are alone.... personally I'd just go to Costa and get a panini or something.
As long as you have something to keep you occupied, it should be fine. A book is a good idea :smile: what others think isn't worth worrying about. Once you're there, you'll feel better after you sit down.
Reply 14
Original post by dancing sloth
I would judge them to be an independent person with their act together.
Go for it :tea:

(and take a book to read if you feel you might feel awkward - works every time in my experience)

Yeah I would take a book definitely, sitting on my phone would get really dull after 10 mins :P
Original post by Jenx301
I would go to somewhere like mcdonalds, KFC or something alone but not a proper restaurant such as Bella Italia, Chiquitos etc where they seat you and you would be like "table for one". It just seems a bit much if you are alone.... personally I'd just go to Costa and get a panini or something.

I kind of want to go somewhere like Bill's? But I did consider a coffee shop or something as well, not sure yet, will see how I'm feeling at the time
Reply 15
It's not weird at all, plenty of people do it. :smile: They usually bring along a book, sometimes a laptop, or just browse their phone while eating
Reply 16
Original post by ivy.98
It's not weird at all, plenty of people do it. :smile: They usually bring along a book, sometimes a laptop, or just browse their phone while eating

Okay, maybe I'll try it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by william walker

Well they must be idiots as they could have lost a customer then...
Original post by thecatwithnohat

Loser.
Original post by liquity
I would feel uncomfortable knowing that people were judging me

I definitely agree with Ahmed above, you're overthinking this. How would you know they're judging you? People judge people over the most insignificant things, it happens all the time, all over the place. You can't control what others think of you, you can't let your anxieties dictate how you live your life. Go out and do your shopping and enjoy your meal at your restaurant, if you're going to stop doing things because you're worried about what others will think, then you're severely limiting yourself in terms of what you can do. There's no need to restrict your life like that.

Quick Reply

Latest