The Student Room Group

Refugee Crisis

Hi!
I really want to find out more about the refugee crisis and what other people think about it. I have been seeing absolutely no compassion towards people fleeing war, just plain ignorance. Immigrants contribute more to the UK than they take out and I feel like the right wing media are blaming them for the economic problems we're currently facing to keep our eyes averted from the real drain on our money - rich businesspeople who avoid their tax and exploit loopholes. Why do we always blame the most vulnerable and poorest people in society? They're suffering from the brutal Tory cuts but still the media continue demonise the working classes and, more specifically to this post, refugees. Please could you tell me your opinion on the matter and perhaps some advantages and disadvantages of immigration?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is the 'Migrant' crisis, not 'Refugee' crisis. What you fail to realise is, all these migrants are in safe countries. Take Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Slovenia, Croatia, Finland, Slovakia, Austria, France and on and on. They are not fleeing war from these countries, which makes them economic migrants

Statistics say only 1 in 5 are fleeing Syria and majority in Germany have come from countries which are not war torn.

We can not take the world. If we accept many more, people across the world will think we will accept them too. It is an endless cycle and because of people like you, more people will die trying to get here.

Australia shut their borders and guess what? People stopped coming and people stopped drowning.

We have a crisis on our services. What gives a migrant the right to a house over a homeless person?

Unless we drastically reduce migration levels so our services can cope, we can not take more refugees. Numbers are high as it is
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Gears265
It is the 'Migrant' crisis, not 'Refugee' crisis. What you fail to realise is, all these migrants are in safe countries. Take Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Slovenia, Croatia, Finland, Slovakia, Austria, France and on and on. They are not fleeing war from these countries, which makes them economic migrants.

I see that I was a bit confusing. Specifically I wanted to ask about the refugee crisis, not the migrant crisis.
It is the 'Migrant' crisis, not 'Refugee' crisis. What you fail to realise is, all these migrants are in safe countries. Take Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Slovenia, Croatia, Finland, Slovakia, Austria, France and on and on. They are not fleeing war from these countries, which makes them economic migrants

Statistics say only 1 in 5 are fleeing Syria and majority in Germany have come from countries which are not war torn.

We can not take the world. If we accept many more, people across the world will think we will accept them too. It is an endless cycle and because of people like you, more people will die trying to get here.

Australia shut their borders and guess what? People stopped coming and people stopped drowning.

We have a crisis on our services. What gives a migrant the right to a house over a homeless person?

Unless we drastically reduce migration levels so our services can cope, we can not take more refugees. Numbers are high as it is

You can be a refugee from none war torn countries and there are more war torn countries than just Syria.
Original post by rubysimpson
Hi!
I really want to find out more about the refugee crisis and what other people think about it. I have been seeing absolutely no compassion towards people fleeing war, just plain ignorance. Immigrants contribute more to the UK than they take out and I feel like the right wing media are blaming them for the economic problems we're currently facing to keep our eyes averted from the real drain on our money - rich businesspeople who avoid their tax and exploit loopholes. Why do we always blame the most vulnerable and poorest people in society? They're suffering from the brutal Tory cuts but still the media continue demonise the working classes and, more specifically to this post, refugees. Please could you tell me your opinion on the matter and perhaps some advantages and disadvantages of immigration?
Thanks

I completely agree with you. What these people have gone through is unimaginable and there are so many people who don't understand that. These refugees are escaping war and danger, their intentions isn't to "steal our jobs and take our money" I think their priority is to get to safety. The fact people are risking their lives and their children's shows how desperate they are. I think we should help these refugee's, we'd want all the help we could get if we were in their situation.
Hi!
Thanks

Advantages: Add to the economy, pay taxes.

Disadvantages: We can't house everyone and high immigration supresses wages.
Reply 6
Original post by United1892
You can be a refugee from none war torn countries and there are more war torn countries than just Syria.

By your logic then we should open our doors to billions of people. It is not practical, economical or politically viable. What gives a single a person a right over someone else? We can not accept the world and until people understand that, we can not move forward to solving the issues at home.

But they're not refugees. There economic migrants claiming to be refugees in many cases.

A refugee is somebody who takes refuse in the nearest safe country. Not the one with the most lucrative benefits system.
Reply 8
Original post by chantalc
I completely agree with you. What these people have gone through is unimaginable and there are so many people who don't understand that. These refugees are escaping war and danger, their intentions isn't to "steal our jobs and take our money" I think their priority is to get to safety. The fact people are risking their lives and their children's shows how desperate they are. I think we should help these refugee's, we'd want all the help we could get if we were in their situation.

But wait a minute. They have arrived at safety the second they got to Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Slovenia, Croatia, Finland, Slovakia, Austria, France and on and on.

Bull**** they are not looking for jobs or benefits. Why the **** do you think they push developed countries to the side for Germany, Sweden and the UK? Oh that's right, because they get access to more benefits here. Bull**** they are escaping war.
By your logic then we should open our doors to billions of people. It is not practical, economical or politically viable. What gives a single a person a right over someone else? We can not accept the world and until people understand that, we can not move forward to solving the issues at home.

Not really. Billions of people aren't eligible for refugee status. Also they shouldn't and ultimately so long as we are letting 200,000 people from the EU in we're not going to be able to provide for refugees.
Original post by MatureStudent36
But they're not refugees. There economic migrants claiming to be refugees in many cases.

A refugee is somebody who takes refuse in the nearest safe country. Not the one with the most lucrative benefits system.

Then they simply wouldn't succeed in claiming asylum. Also that statement is not legally correct.
But wait a minute. They have arrived at safety the second they got to Poland, Serbia, Hungary, Italy, Spain, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan, Slovenia, Croatia, Finland, Slovakia, Austria, France and on and on.

Bull**** they are not looking for jobs or benefits. Why the **** do you think they push developed countries to the side for Germany, Sweden and the UK? Oh that's right, because they get access to more benefits here. Bull**** they are escaping war.

Fact is a refugee has a choice as to where they claim asylum.
Fact is a refugee has a choice as to where they claim asylum.

So you admit once they are in a safe country they have successfully escaped war. Thanks for proving my point and actually you are making them look more like scroungers by saying they have the choice to dictate terms and dictate what they want. Way to show your support for them loooooool :biggrin:
So you admit once they are in a safe country they have successfully escaped war. Thanks for proving my point and actually you are making them look more like scroungers by saying they have the choice to dictate terms and dictate what they want. Way to show your support for them loooooool :biggrin:

They do have a choice. There is nothing in international law to suggest they don't. Why would someone who speaks English and is fleeing war go anywhere but the UK?
They do have a choice. There is nothing in international law to suggest they don't. Why would someone who speaks English and is fleeing war go anywhere but the UK?

By that, we also have the right and choice to turn them down. But you fail to understand the law of the EU. It states you should claim asylum in the first EU country you arrive in.
I'd happily open the door to many hundreds of thousands of desperate refugees.
Hi!
Thanks

The issue is not economic, it is social. Putting aside the risk of ISIS sympathisers entering the country, Germany and Sweden have shown why it is a terrible idea to allow all and sundry in.

Formation of ghettos, greater prevalence of Islam, lack of social cohesion and stress on public services and housing would all be issues if we increased the number of Syrians being allowed.

Merkel is having to backtrack on her pious and naive policy and we are all paying the price. Her "give me your tired your poor" discourse is encouraging more and more people to make the journey to Europe.

If you don't want this country to become the hellhole these people are coming from, then you need a reasonable quota. Germany and Sweden will pay dearly for their approach. Liberal Europe and medieval Islam are incompatible.
By that, we also have the right and choice to turn them down. But you fail to understand the law of the EU. It states you should claim asylum in the first EU country you arrive in.

We do and we turn many claims down.

Still not first safe country but true.
Reply 18
I'm sick to death of seeing them. All I see on TV are groups of young, military aged men, who should be at home fighting for their own country, freedom, and families like real men but are instead showing up in Germany expecting to be fed.

Many of them claim to be Syrians (a dubious claim for many of them) fleeing Assad. Well, Assad only controls 20% of Syria so why is it these people can make it all the way to Sweden but not into the 80% of Syria that isn't occupied by Assad and pick up a rifle? Reminds me of those old posters "Daddy, what did you do during the (civil) war"?......."Erm, I ran away to live in Sweden.........."

Europeans are so gullible it's hilarious. Merkel is a damned fool - the "refugee (or largely economic migrant) crisis" was created by her idiotic open door policy. She now realises the folly of her ways and has done an about turn but expects other countries like Poland to help clear up the mess she created.

In short. I'm sick of this horse ****. In fact, I'm so sick of it I don't even care about the genuine refugees because I'm suffering from chronic compassion fatigue.
Then they simply wouldn't succeed in claiming asylum. Also that statement is not legally correct.

Once somebody is in the country it's surprisingly difficult to get rid of them. Asylum seeker or not.

And actually, there is a legal requirement for refugees to seek safe haven in the nearest safest home country. That's why the economic migrants in Calais aren't allowed into the uk.

As however has been pointed out, most of the refugees we have at the moment are actually economic migrants playing the system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending