The Student Room Group

Define "offset"

I do not really understand what the term offset means in the following context "density offset". I was wondering if someone could try and explain it? thanks
Original post by jsmith6131
I do not really understand what the term offset means in the following context "density offset". I was wondering if someone could try and explain it? thanks

I've never seen the word 'offset' used in that context, but if you know that the word offset can be defined as 'An agent, element, or thing that balances, counteracts, or compensates for something else' does the phrase 'density offset' make any more sense to you?
It'd be helpful if you gave more context, too, such as the whole sentence.
Original post by pineneedles
I've never seen the word 'offset' used in that context, but if you know that the word offset can be defined as 'An agent, element, or thing that balances, counteracts, or compensates for something else' does the phrase 'density offset' make any more sense to you?
It'd be helpful if you gave more context, too, such as the whole sentence.

Well there wasn't a sentence. My lecturer was simply listing tools that can be used following the taking of an X-ray and one of them was density offset (bullet point). It's very confusing!
thanks for offering your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending