The Student Room Group

What Further Maths Modules should I choose?

I am going to self-teach A level FM during my gap year to hopefully study Mathematics at University.

The two applied modules I do for normal Maths are S1 and S2

The ones I am set on for FM are FP1, FP2 (obviously), D1, M1 but then I dont know what other two to do.

Btw I dont study Physics so I dont know any overlapping Mechanics topics. Which modules do you think will be useful and easy enough to self teach?
Reply 1
Original post by Ben4
I am going to self-teach A level FM during my gap year to hopefully study Mathematics at University.

The two applied modules I do for normal Maths are S1 and S2

The ones I am set on for FM are FP1, FP2 (obviously), D1, M1 but then I dont know what other two to do.

Btw I dont study Physics so I dont know any overlapping Mechanics topics. Which modules do you think will be useful and easy enough to self teach?

M2, FP3.
Which modules do you most enjoy: mechanics, statistics or pure? I would probably base your choices on the answer to that question.
Reply 3
Original post by Jooooshy
Which modules do you most enjoy: mechanics, statistics or pure? I would probably base your choices on the answer to that question.

I havent had any experience with mechanics as of yet, I enjoy pure but I have heard FP3 isnt very nice haha. And statistics is easy enough to self teach but was wondering if people thought I should have more breadth in my modules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you're doing Maths at uni you NEED to do FP3 before you go to uni - you may as well self teach it to yourself whilst doing your A levels rather than spending a bit of the summer teaching it to yourself... Honestly, self-teaching FP3 is a lot easier than self-teaching FP2.... FP2 involves tricky concepts tough to wrap your head around, FP3 concepts are easy but need a lot of work - exactly what you're going to do if you're self-teaching it to yourself! In terms of what applied module to do, neither M2 or S3 are too tough - I didn't learn D2, but you could give that a go... Honestly, S3 was pretty easy so maybe look into doing that?
D2 was a really easy module but not helpful for university at all so I wouldn't bother with that. Definitely do FP3 though, almost all of the material has been (heavily) used during my time at uni
FP3 Master-race.
I have done Fp3 twice (don't ask) and have done better than Fp2 which is supposedly the easier module.

I would recommend it
Some FP3 stuff has popped up in my first/second year so far (but only one or two chapters from it at best), as well as some M2 stuff last year.

Whatever you think you'll do best in is what you should choose. You'll probably be able to pick up the topics from FP3/M2 etc at university when you're taught them, and you just have to work a bit harder than people who've seen the content before.

I would suggest S3 and S4 myself. S3 is a bit tricky but I found both to be really enjoyable and straightforward enough to teach myself.
Reply 9
d1 d2. cambridge say they're the best ones
Original post by ubisoft
d1 d2. cambridge say they're the best ones

Lmao.
Reply 11
Im thinking of doing M2 edexcel. I did M1 last year (only got C with a weeks revision). If I take M2 is it worth taking M1 again if they overlap alot? I have to get like 70 in M2 for A but am aiming for A* (Need 172ums)

Quick Reply

Latest