The Student Room Group

How can the online dating experience be improved for men?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by keturah
Do you see the guys I've messaged.. no. They are average looking.
See I know what you are trying to do here and it's not going to work. I'm happy with how I look, you're just bitter because I called you out on another thread.

lol insecure much?

It's not even an attack on you, just commenting on why you hadnt received responses. The f***s I give about about what guys are or not saying to you on dating sites.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just be relatively good looking and get yourself on gaydar. You'll get more offers than you can cope with. They'll range from going out for coffee to full on orgy invites.

But always remember your lube.
Reply 102
Original post by scrotgrot
So your contention here is that if all men improved themselves women would be less hypergamous and not hold out for something better, so the threshold for a woman to go out with a man is fixed at some level (e.g. of resources) rather than relative (e.g. social status).

I guess it's hard to say which it is really.

Really, you are doing great, you must have women knocking down your door.
Original post by MAINE.
lol insecure much?

It's not even an attack on you, just commenting on why you hadnt received responses.

It was clearly an attack on me and no my looks are the least of my worries.
Original post by keturah
You are both pathetic, trying to make me insecure about my appearance. I don't just message someone based on their looks, it's more on what they have wrote and the questions they have answered.
You may not think I'm a nine out of ten but to someone else I might be :redface:

? Dude, no-one's saying anything about your looks. You're clearly fairly good-looking. All I'm trying to say is that, relative to your looks, you're probably going for those who are yet more better-looking, above your league, and that's the reason why your messages aren't being responded to, and why, if you stuck to your own league - which is itself far from ugly - you'd get more guys responding. It's just my theory.
Reply 105
Original post by keturah

I guess we can add paranoia to that list, as well as insecurity. Anyhow adios.

edit: fyi my comment had nothing to do with you actually. Would have made the same comment regardless of who made it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by keturah

Don't feed the trolls....
Reply 107
Original post by keturah
fyi my comment had nothing to do with you actually. Would have made the same comment regardless of who made it.

PSA: The world doesnt revolve around you.
Original post by keturah

You made a post with the claim that guys don't respond to you either, so therefore it must not be a gender-specific thing. I'm making the point it is gender-specific, and that the fact you don't get replies back from those guys is to do with other factors. Believe me, it's as far from an attack on you as can be.
Original post by Hashim123
? Dude, no-one's saying anything about your looks. You're clearly fairly good-looking. All I'm trying to say is that, relative to your looks, you're probably going for those who are yet more better-looking, above your league, and that's the reason why your messages aren't being responded to, and why, if you stuck to your own league - which is itself far from ugly - you'd get more guys responding. It's just my theory.

Haha I am messaging average looking guys Mr dating expert.
Fairly good looking in your opinion and I don't really care what you think of my looks.
Original post by MAINE.
fyi my comment had nothing to do with you actually. Would have made the same comment regardless of who made it.

PSA: The world doesnt revolve around you.

I think we both know where this has stemmed from. You're a thoroughly nasty piece of work anyway.
You made a post with the claim that guys don't respond to you either, so therefore it must not be a gender-specific thing. I'm making the point it is gender-specific, and that the fact you don't get replies back from those guys is to do with other factors. Believe me, it's as far from an attack on you as can be.

How do you know it is my looks then.
It could be a number of things on my profile, but you had to make assumptions that I'm messaging men too good looking for me .
It may well be they didn't find me attractive, it could also have been numerous other things too. The fact I have a disability maybe or that I'm bisexual or different political views.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cole-slaw
We're humans, not ****ing stag beetles. Hypergamy is a silly myth, even in class conscious Britain.

What is women's mating strategy then? And how do you explain why it's harder for men to get a date than women?
Original post by keturah
How do you know it is my looks then.
It could be a number of things on my profile, but you had to make assumptions that I'm messaging men too good looking for me .
It may well be they didn't find me attractive, it could also have been numerous other things too. The fact I have a disability maybe or that I'm bisexual or different political views.

I don't believe I explicitly said anything about your looks, and in all honesty, only just clicked on your profile about 15 minutes ago, so had no idea what you looked like. All I said was that you're likely to be going for better-looking guys as an explanation for the abnormal behaviour of guys on those sites - to take that as a personal insult is a bit of a stretch; unless you you're the cream of the crop, you're always going to be less better-looking than someone, and there's always going to be someone above you. I suppose it could be your profile, but like I said, from what I've seen of these sites, guys don't really tend to massively discriminate based on a girl's profile - as others have said on here, it most often devolves into a number's game where pretty much the only criteria is looks, and very few bother to look at profiles for that reason.

Anyway, we'll leave it here. I was making a point, but you seem intent on seeing that point as a direct attack on your looks rather than what it was - an explanation for the behaviour you've encountered from other guys on those sites.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Really, you are doing great, you must have women knocking down your door.

What do you think is wrong about what I said? I don’t see how that's relevant, I've been off the market 5 years and I'm glad I'm not dating in the modern day of dating apps
I don't believe I explicitly said anything about your looks, and in all honesty, only just clicked on your profile about 15 minutes ago, so had no idea what you looked like. All I said was that you're likely to be going for better-looking guys as an explanation for the abnormal behaviour of guys on those sites - to take that as a personal insult is a bit of a stretch; unless you you're the cream of the crop, you're always going to be less better-looking than someone, and there's always going to be someone above you. I suppose it could be your profile, but like I said, from what I've seen of these sites, guys don't really tend to massively discriminate based on a girl's profile - as others have said on here, it most often devolves into a number's game where pretty much the only criteria is looks, and very few bother to look at profiles for that reason.

Anyway, we'll leave it here. I was making a point, but you seem intent on seeing that point as a direct attack on your looks rather than what it was - an explanation for the behaviour you've encountered from other guys on those sites.

We will have to agree to disagree. Men who want a relationship don't just go on someone's photos, well not the ones I've encountered. Maybe if all they want is casual sex it's based purely on looks but not for a relationship :smile:
What is women's mating strategy then? And how do you explain why it's harder for men to get a date than women?

a) Women don't have a "mating strategy". They just date, ****, and form relationships with men they find attractive in the exact same way men pick partners.

b) It isn't. It just seems that way to unattractive men. Women also have to be careful about rape so tend to be a little more nervous about one night stands etc.
a) Women don't have a "mating strategy". They just date, ****, and form relationships with men they find attractive in the exact same way men pick partners.

b) It isn't. It just seems that way to unattractive men. Women also have to be careful about rape so tend to be a little more nervous about one night stands etc.

Everyone and everything has a mating strategy: it describes why they pick who they pick. Why would women even a priori have the exact same mating strategy as men? You would expect it to be different, and that's what we observe.

I do despair when people try to suggest we are too smart and rational for such animalian things as mating strategy.
Everyone and everything has a mating strategy: it describes why they pick who they pick. Why would women even a priori have the exact same mating strategy as men? You would expect it to be different, and that's what we observe.

I do despair when people try to suggest we are too smart and rational for such animalian things as mating strategy.

Despair all you like. you're wrong, and every single biologist would laugh at your idiocy. Humans don't have a mating strategy.

You're probably one of these scientifically illiterate mugs who believes in alpha and beta males in wolf packs aren't you?
Despair all you like. you're wrong, and every single biologist would laugh at your idiocy. Humans don't have a mating strategy.

You're probably one of these scientifically illiterate mugs who believes in alpha and beta males in wolf packs aren't you?

Why do all other animals have one except us then? Just seems like exceptionalism to me

Quick Reply

Latest