The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shawn_o1
Probably the most unbelievable news I've heard in football:

Joe Cole, former West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea and England man, signs for Coventry.

Most unbelievable thing about that is the fact he's still playing

I genuinely thought he retired about 3 years ago
Probably the most unbelievable news I've heard in football:

Joe Cole, former West Ham, Liverpool, Chelsea and England man, signs for Coventry.

Yeah, that is huge news, Mowbray is able to attract that kinda of player to league one. If (and it is a big if) he can play to even 25% of his PL form then Coventry are onto a winner. His fitness will be poor but brining him on for the last20/30 minutes or playing one half will bring a lot of quality to the side. Its only a one month contract so we need to see how he gets on.
Original post by Icecream1
Yeah, that is huge news, Mowbray is able to attract that kinda of player to league one. If (and it is a big if) he can play to even 25% of his PL form then Coventry are onto a winner. His fitness will be poor but brining him on for the last20/30 minutes or playing one half will bring a lot of quality to the side. Its only a one month contract so we need to see how he gets on.

I suspect Mowbray has the bigger picture in mind and wants the younger players at the club to learn a thing or two whilst also generally raising the club's profile. Either way these are exciting times to be a City fan, and it's been a long time since I could say that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Technically this belongs here: Howard Kendall, former Everton player and manager who led them to the division one title, has died in the last hour. Two minute silences across English football grounds today.
interested in seeing Jurgen Klopps first game in charge for liverpool
Any donny rovers fans ??
Well a keeper has scored today :biggrin:
Gary madine is so ****. I could mark him out a game with my legs tied together.
Original post by ..DT..
Gary madine is so ****. I could mark him out a game with my legs tied together.

I have to say I was shocked when you guys signed him. Such a weight off of our shoulders when he left. He's simply failed at stepping up from league one (which he's quite good at judging by previous loan spells etc.)
Original post by Midlander
I suspect Mowbray has the bigger picture in mind and wants the younger players at the club to learn a thing or two whilst also generally raising the club's profile. Either way these are exciting times to be a City fan, and it's been a long time since I could say that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, Mowbray has the clout to convince "big names" to the club. Eagles will be more influential at the club. Blackpool came to the Ricoh to play for a point, they were very defensive. City played well but the final ball was not good enough. Kent and Murphy are quick but their inexperience shows. I think City can push for promotion and the glut of goals from Newcastle should help them forget about Armstrong and hopefully extend his loan.
Original post by Icecream1
Yeah, Mowbray has the clout to convince "big names" to the club. Eagles will be more influential at the club. Blackpool came to the Ricoh to play for a point, they were very defensive. City played well but the final ball was not good enough. Kent and Murphy are quick but their inexperience shows. I think City can push for promotion and the glut of goals from Newcastle should help them forget about Armstrong and hopefully extend his loan.

I live too far away to get to any games home or away but I have heard similar stories about the young loanees, very keen to take players on and try some fancy skills but not always aware of what's going on around them. A hopeful side effect of a 'big name' like Cole might be a few more bums on seats at home games even if only for a short while.

The league is wide open, that much is clear, so if we can hang around the play-offs come the end of the season anything could happen.
Original post by Midlander
I live too far away to get to any games home or away but I have heard similar stories about the young loanees, very keen to take players on and try some fancy skills but not always aware of what's going on around them. A hopeful side effect of a 'big name' like Cole might be a few more bums on seats at home games even if only for a short while.

The league is wide open, that much is clear, so if we can hang around the play-offs come the end of the season anything could happen.

Are all games far for you ? Come on there must be something within a 20 mile radius

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redleader1
Are all games far for you ? Come on there must be something within a 20 mile radius

Posted from TSR Mobile

I live near Dundee. The nearest league side is Carlisle which is still a good few hours by public transport from here, most others are a 5-6 hour round trip in best circumstances.
Chris Eagles signs for Bury, and not Coventry. That's a turn up.
What is going on at Leeds United?!
What is going on at Leeds United?!

They're a perfect match for fatty Evans tbh. Both are bang average, bad with money and think they're better than they are
Steve Evans at Leeds !! As a bradford fan this is awesome football dosent get better than this. So many jokes to come to this to all the leeds fans I know !

But what do leeds fans think of this ? He just kept Rotherham in the championship. What happend going back to the premier league ? Or even champions league ? Like your chairman said
:biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redleader1
Steve Evans at Leeds !! As a bradford fan this is awesome football dosent get better than this. So many jokes to come to this to all the leeds fans I know !

But what do leeds fans think of this ? He just kept Rotherham in the championship. What happend going back to the premier league ? Or even champions league ? Like your chairman said
:biggrin::biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Steve Evans is not a fit and proper person to be involved in football in my opinion. He is a convicted tax dodger and his touchline behaviour has on occasions been disgraceful. Neither is Mr Cellino. Barnet had some questionable people involved in the club many years ago but nowhere near as bad as these two.
Original post by barnetlad
Steve Evans is not a fit and proper person to be involved in football in my opinion. He is a convicted tax dodger and his touchline behaviour has on occasions been disgraceful. Neither is Mr Cellino. Barnet had some questionable people involved in the club many years ago but nowhere near as bad as these two.

Thats what I was thinking two criminals involved with a club with the highest arrests of the Championship, is sort of like the perfect match.:biggrin:
Scenes when Steve Evans compares himself to Klopp. Christ, I hate him.

Quick Reply

Latest