The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I don't often see mixed raced people dating each other...maybe it's just me though :dontknow:

Oh is ittt :eek: That's a good mix tbh and yeee hun I remember

Ye I always see it as well. Cus they have something in common theres more of a connection.
Original post by Anonymous
Whether or not people would like to admit it, there is a objective hierachy of of attractiveness for races and basically the whiter you are the better.

Most mixed race people end up with white people unless they're raised in a very cultural ethnic community and take on a more ethnic identity.

I don't mean to sound racist and i'm actually ethnic myself but it's all backed up by statistics.

I challenge you to find me UK stats on 'complexion'; race maybe, but complexion (??) ... "hierarchy of of attractiveness" is thrown out by mixed race ppls because they dont ascribe to any race - infact they dissolve them.
I think this is more a function of the fact being mixed race is relatively rare, so to meet another mixed race person you fancy would be even rarer.

Original post by Anonymous
Whether or not people would like to admit it, there is a objective hierachy of of attractiveness for races and basically the whiter you are the better.

Most mixed race people end up with white people unless they're raised in a very cultural ethnic community and take on a more ethnic identity.

I don't mean to sound racist and i'm actually ethnic myself but it's all backed up by statistics.

I would be very surprised if that about hierarchy were true, unless you meant in a specific context? Surely you meant whiter is perceived better in Caucasian societies?
Skin colour should never be of consideration when choosing someone to be in a relationship with. What counts is the internal characteristics like care, concern, truthfulness, reliance, sense of humour and so much more. The inside counts more than anything else. I am sorry that some don't feel this way than well that's just me.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
That's because Brazil is extremely mixed and ambiguous generally. I'm not talking about Brazil, I'm talking about what choices people make here where there are tangible divides and they meet many of all 'category'.

Original post by black_mamba
I think this is more a function of the fact being mixed race is relatively rare, so to meet another mixed race person you fancy would be even rarer.
This. In Brazil it's more common for mixed race people to date each other, cos there's a lot more mixed race people!

In England, there aren't that many, so it's a much smaller chance.

FWIW I have never "dated" (that's a euphemism right?) anyone lighter skinned than myself.
I think it depends on where the person grew up. I grew up in the suburbs and was one of a handful of non white kids in my school. The only person from the black side of my family who I know is my sister and my Dad, so unfortunately I don't identify with my African side that strongly.

In terms of attraction, I generally go for dark haired pale guys, which my boyfriend is . Although, I have been involved with someone who was half white and half Indian who I really liked. I imagine if I'd been brought up in a more multicultural area or had known my family from my Dad's side then my taste in men would be different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am mixed black and white and I tend to date black guys. I just don't have a lot in common with any of the white guys I have met tbh, so I find I click more with black guys.
I'm a mixed race female

I am with a Black Caribbean but I have also dated a mixed race guy before. To me it's not about colour it's about the individual.
Thanks for all the replies, really interesting.

Do you know the other weird thing I've noticed?, and this relates to interracial couples who have mixed race kids. In demographic breakdowns, the places with a smaller percentage of black people, have a higher rate of mixed race people compared to that percentage of black people. When the percentage of black people goes up, you have a higher proportion of mixed people, but not relative to black people, suggesting that when black people are in a smaller minority they are more attractive(difference, inaccessability?) to white people. Interesting anyhow.
Original post by stargirl63
I am mixed black and white and I tend to date black guys. I just don't have a lot in common with any of the white guys I have met tbh, so I find I click more with black guys.

Do you think this is different if the black is Caribbean or African? Just curious because Caribbean seems to have a very different culture of machismo and a certain way of interaction between sexes. Maybe a half African female is more likely to go for a white guy than a half Caribbean one here, because the Caribbean one hold on to a specific 'black culture'. I guess the other thing is that Caribbeans are lighter and more mixed than Africans anyhow, so maybe a person with one Caribbean and one white parent, if they are quite dark considering that, still feels black, within Caribbeans, closer to them. Whereas a half African half white person is clearly not African to Africans.

Just a theory off the top of my head....
For objective hierarchy, no way-it's clearly subjective. I'm white, blue eyes, and I'd say mixed race and especially Indian women are most attractive to me, blondes and many white women are just meh-blonde, but besides that plain as hell-not yery varied, in personality too. Black women it's maybe rarer I'm attracted but they are much more varied than white women and some are sexy.
Reply 51
As for me, the colour of skin isn't so important. You need to feel yourself comfortable with that person, no matter has she/he black, white or yellow skin.
Do you think this is different if the black is Caribbean or African? Just curious because Caribbean seems to have a very different culture of machismo and a certain way of interaction between sexes. Maybe a half African female is more likely to go for a white guy than a half Caribbean one here, because the Caribbean one hold on to a specific 'black culture'. I guess the other thing is that Caribbeans are lighter and more mixed than Africans anyhow, so maybe a person with one Caribbean and one white parent, if they are quite dark considering that, still feels black, within Caribbeans, closer to them. Whereas a half African half white person is clearly not African to Africans.

Just a theory off the top of my head....

The black ethnicity I have is Caribbean. I have dated both African and Caribbean. I prefer dating Caribbeans due to their culture being a lot more flexible than Africans, as in my experiences, Africans tend to be more into their caste, their tribe is important, religious parents etc. Also, I find Caribbeans more attractive because they are lighter skinned, and don't have such harsh features as a lot of African people do.
Original post by stargirl63
The black ethnicity I have is Caribbean. I have dated both African and Caribbean. I prefer dating Caribbeans due to their culture being a lot more flexible than Africans, as in my experiences, Africans tend to be more into their caste, their tribe is important, religious parents etc. Also, I find Caribbeans more attractive because they are lighter skinned, and don't have such harsh features as a lot of African people do.

Oh, that kind of works with my theory, but it's quite speculative atm.

Btw, do you find East Africans different looking, I know Caribbeans are white and West African mix mainly, and East Africans to me look really different to West Africans, like the Somalians, Sudanese etc- they have smaller features.
Oh, that kind of works with my theory, but it's quite speculative atm.

Btw, do you find East Africans different looking, I know Caribbeans are white and West African mix mainly, and East Africans to me look really different to West Africans, like the Somalians, Sudanese etc- they have smaller features.

"different looking" - wow, you really need to phrase you questions better! I have found with Africans, whether East or not, they all have very strong , very harsh features, which to me, is not attractive.
Thanks for all the replies, really interesting.

Do you know the other weird thing I've noticed?, and this relates to interracial couples who have mixed race kids. In demographic breakdowns, the places with a smaller percentage of black people, have a higher rate of mixed race people compared to that percentage of black people. When the percentage of black people goes up, you have a higher proportion of mixed people, but not relative to black people, suggesting that when black people are in a smaller minority they are more attractive(difference, inaccessability?) to white people. Interesting anyhow.

Or it just means, that the black people find it difficult to find other black people to marry when they are in small numbers, so they marry white...
Original post by jedanselemyia
Personally, I'm more attracted towards Middle Eastern and South/East Asian and white.

My sister's dating a white guy atm.

Plus, it's not easy meeting mixed guys

This is so true. I don't know many mixed race people. The ones I do know are just acquaintances. I myself am mixed race and wouldn't mind dating a mixed race person but everyone I know is either Arab or European
i've seen a mixed couple. you'd think their siblings as well.
apart from blasian couples

close enough^
(edited 8 years ago)
I didn't know any mixed race people when I was dating

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE=Anonymous;60020743]Whether or not people would like to admit it, there is a objective hierachy of of attractiveness for races and basically the whiter you are the better.

Is this why pale people are obsessed with trying to get a tan?

Latest

Trending

Trending