The Student Room Group

Do you think Halloween is beneficial to society?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkasia

Besides, it means all the ugly kids can win competitions for best costumes without having to dress up.

Oh my. :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shadowdweller
What kind of neighbourhood do you live in? :lolwut:

Clearly one with kids who have great aim.

Original post by BurstingBubbles
It's worked for the last 18 or more years.

...not anymore :colone:
Reply 23
Original post by shadowdweller
You can generally tell, in my experience :tongue:

One year I was at a Church event during the evening. I came home and rang the doorbell, completely forgetting that my family never answers the door to trick or treaters. Fortunately they realised it was me pretty quickly.
Reply 24
My relationship with Halloween is: it exists, I exist.... That's it; we never show up in the same place either.
Original post by leahdw
One year I was at a Church event during the evening. I came home and rang the doorbell, completely forgetting that my family never answers the door to trick or treaters. Fortunately they realised it was me pretty quickly.

That could have ended badly :lol:

So, negative affect of Halloween... You may end up locked out your own house? :mmm:
Last year we ran out of sweets so had to run to the corner shop and get some more, left a note on the door saying back in five minutes. When we got back, somebody had smashed our pumpkin against the door, candle wax and crap everywhere, ripped down the decorations, etc, etc. Neighbourhood? Hampstead.

I really don't like Halloween. Normally I love holidays and think they're good for society, but there's a mean, lewd edge to this one that I find so unappealing. Anybody who wants sweets this year can whistle for them :colonhash:
no
Well dunno but I really like me the sweets and the ample opportunities to dress up as Darth Vader year after year.
I really dislike it, and not only because my parents never let me do it. The other day, I bought 3 big bags of "fun sized" Butterfingers (only time of the year they sell them fun sized) and I do not want to share them. :colonhash: However, I live in an area with quite a lot of kids and it's my first Halloween here but I know the ****ers are going to knock. Was thinking of leaving the lights off and sitting in the back room.

And, tbh, as someone has already mentioned, I actually find it quite intimidating. I'm not good around kids/teenagers.
(edited 8 years ago)
I hate children, and I hate people who knock on my door so halloween is pretty much a no-go for me.
There are a lot of mixed opinions about Halloween. Some people say it's a lot of good fun for all ages, and others may say it's anti-religious, Americanised, and not good for society. What do you think about Halloween? Do you celebrate or take part in it?

erm excuse me. Halloween is a bastardised version of the Christian Celebration of All hallows eve which in turn is mostly taken from the celtic pagan festival of Samhain. To pagans like myself Samhain very much has religious tones.

Plus sweets
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I hate children, and I hate people who knock on my door so halloween is pretty much a no-go for me.

You're just in your Halloween costume/role all year long :yeah:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You're just in your Halloween costume/role all year long :yeah:

What costume/role is that?
I once went to a party in a suit and aviators and people were like 'what, who are you?'

Robin Thicke

actually got salt for it
But what if it's someone else? We usually write a note for no trick or treaters :tongue:

Presumably someone wouldn't come around unannounced on Halloween? They'd ring you to come to the door if they knew you didn't answer to trick or treaters.

I generally go to a party up the road now. I don't think it's necessarily beneficial - and there is probably a spike economy wise with all of the sweets and decorations and costumes and alcohol etc. but I can see this being undone with some of the kids getting up to mischief.

In regards to safety, I think that there isn't really going to be that much of a problem with kids drugging halloween sweets. Drugs are expensive. At worst someone may 'trick' your kids with laxative chocolate, which would be terrible, but probably not life threatening or enough to cause a massive concern for their health. They'd have to give you a lot for it to be a problem, and then you'd notice. If you're that concerned, only let your kids eat prepackaged sweets and chocolates.
I think the bigger concern for safety is the people that go around egging things and throwing flour. Local shops actually ban the sale of eggs and flour to under 16s or in very large quantities running up to halloween - luckily my baker friend gets all of hers wholesale or we'd have no cupcakes at the party. They are also prone to breaking windows, we had some tires slashed, some letterboxes ripped out. But that's just generally criminal, it's just that it's a bit more prevalent on halloween (maybe they get away with it more because it's in costume).

This year I'm doing an Amy Poehler in Parks & Rec and going as Rosie the Riveter - we can do it!
Reply 36
It's the one night of the year I can dress up as 'upside-down-pinocchio' and give kids sweets, without jail time.
Original post by Arkasia
Clearly one with kids who have great aim.

...not anymore :colone:

Do people live in areas where youths don't go around egging buildings, cars, people etc.? Is it a sign that I come from a really rough area that I just assumed that was normal, and also that it was low level compared to some of the stuff that goes on here.

Oh dear.
Its beneficial i guess as people buy more stuff, but i don't like it as a holiday. As someone who has like, issues with social anxiety, going outside becomes a guaranteed no and the thought of having to answer the door. Just no. ;w;:bubbles:
Original post by minimarshmallow
Do people live in areas where youths don't go around egging buildings, cars, people etc.? Is it a sign that I come from a really rough area that I just assumed that was normal, and also that it was low level compared to some of the stuff that goes on here.

I don't think we've ever been egged for ignoring trick or treaters/leaving a sign saying the same :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending