The Student Room Group

Second Year of University

Hi guys, right, I have an issue. I sort of failed last year (first year of University) due to medical issues. I have sent my University proof of my medical issue and they have accepted. However, they want me to redo the whole of first year again.

Is this a fair judgement? Could they not let me start second year while retaking the first year in Summer?

Thanks for reading and a reasonable reply would be nice.
Whether it is fair or not isn't the issue, the question is, is it necessary? The answer is yes. You need to pass the first year if you're going to have any hope of passing the second, and you won't be able to do it over the summer. It is only one extra year, what's the problem?
This kind of happened to me - I didn't fail but due to medical reasons couldn't take any exams so had to repeat year 1. I asked if I could talk year 1 alongside year 2 and they said they couldn't as to progress to year 2 you needed to have passed 4/5 modules to progress.

Now this may be specific to UCL but it could be an explanation for you. I would talk to them and ask why.
Fair? It doesn't matter. The university will go by the rules it sets in its academic regulations, which you will be able to access. They're what you agreed to when you enrolled.

If you haven't passed the first year it shows that you don't understand all the material you were examined on - the university is making you repeat the year to give you a chance to understand it before progressing to the second year. It's in your interests to do it.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
Fair? It doesn't matter. The university will go by the rules it sets in its academic regulations, which you will be able to access. They're what you agreed to when you enrolled.

If you haven't passed the first year it shows that you don't understand all the material you were examined on - the university is making you repeat the year to give you a chance to understand it before progressing to the second year. It's in your interests to do it.

I do not mean it in a negative way when I use the word "fair" so do not take it that way. I have been through a lot. Very personal things. And it affected me during the exam period. However, I still have the knowledge. So redoing a whole year which I have full understanding of is going to be (for me) time wasting and I want to be challenged by being allowed to go to Year 2 and retaking year 1 exams during the summer. Because I know without a doubt I will pass.
Reply 5
Original post by Snufkin
Whether it is fair or not isn't the issue, the question is, is it necessary? The answer is yes. You need to pass the first year if you're going to have any hope of passing the second, and you won't be able to do it over the summer. It is only one extra year, what's the problem?

The problem is finding new people to communicate with. Sitting in lectures, seminars and labs and knowing every material that's being discussed. I couldn't take the exams at that period due to medical and personal reasons. So resitting a whole year will be time wasting for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OnlyYoda
I do not mean it in a negative way when I use the word "fair" so do not take it that way. I have been through a lot. Very personal things. And it affected me during the exam period. However, I still have the knowledge. So redoing a whole year which I have full understanding of is going to be (for me) time wasting and I want to be challenged by being allowed to go to Year 2 and retaking year 1 exams during the summer. Because I know without a doubt I will pass.

You may have been through something which affected you during the exam period, but so did many other people. Rather than trying to make individual rules up for each case the university will have a procedure it follows. With your set of circumstances it means offering you a repeat of the year. In other circumstances it may mean offering resits or kicking students off a course.

I have no idea what modules or assessments you failed or by how much, but can you not see that without passing a particular summative assessment the university does not have any evidence that you do know the material. You simply saying 'I know without a doubt I will pass' is meaningless to the university - the fact is they see a failed assessment.
Reply 7
You may have been through something which affected you during the exam period, but so did many other people. Rather than trying to make individual rules up for each case the university will have a procedure it follows. With your set of circumstances it means offering you a repeat of the year. In other circumstances it may mean offering resits or kicking students off a course.

I have no idea what modules or assessments you failed or by how much, but can you not see that without passing a particular summative assessment the university does not have any evidence that you do know the material. You simply saying 'I know without a doubt I will pass' is meaningless to the university - the fact is they see a failed assessment.

I understand, and everything you have said is true. However, I am more than capable of coping with the stress. And to give me a chance to show what I can do will surprise them. I attended most of my lectures, seminars and labs last year. So everything is still with me. I just need the exams. I just need to show that I can pass. I do not need the lessons at all.
Original post by OnlyYoda
I understand, and everything you have said is true. However, I am more than capable of coping with the stress. And to give me a chance to show what I can do will surprise them. I attended most of my lectures, seminars and labs last year. So everything is still with me. I just need the exams. I just need to show that I can pass. I do not need the lessons at all.

Well it's good that you have such self-confidence, however you'll need to convince the university to go against their own procedures which will be difficult, if not impossible. You should talk to someone from your student union as they will be much more familiar with your university rules and procedures than we are here and in a better position to advise you what to do. As term has started (or is starting soon) you don't have much time. Fight the fight if you must, just be prepared to repeat the year if you're unsuccessful. Good luck.
Reply 9
Well it's good that you have such self-confidence, however you'll need to convince the university to go against their own procedures which will be difficult, if not impossible. You should talk to someone from your student union as they will be much more familiar with your university rules and procedures than we are here and in a better position to advise you what to do. As term has started (or is starting soon) you don't have much time. Fight the fight if you must, just be prepared to repeat the year if you're unsuccessful. Good luck.

Thank you kind sir, have a great day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending