The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I;m pretty sure I annoy redferry as well.

Moan away.

Ultimately, I think you are mostly right on an ethics level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just wanted you to know what a great job you are doing on this thread.

Also you've saved me the trouble of saying some things I know wouldn't go down well.

There are few things that annoy me more than westerners complaining about this kind of thing when they are nearly all complicit in incredible,INCREDIBLE cruelty to animals just so they can eat foods they don't need to eat, ie for pleasure,not to mention wearing leather or sitting on leather sofas.

Then again the people on this thread are mostly teenage girls I expect and thus its more understandable.

No doubt that last sentence will be seen as patronising.It wasn't meant to be.When I was 11 I was immensely saddened to see,on a TV programme about the wild, a bear being shot and its cub being left by its mothers body.I cried myself to sleep that night I'm not ashamed to say.

Then over a period of many years I came to realise - through newspaper articles and eventually books- just how disgustingly cruel the food industry is.

The fact is that elephant almost certainly had a better life than 99% of the mammals on this planet.

And that's down purely to the utter selfishness and hypocrisy of people.

Anyone who is a vegan has my utmost respect.

Far more respect than I have for anyone else on this forum indeed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 202
Original post by redferry
My hope is soon well be able to grow all meat in a lab sustainably.

Like the work of Patrick Brown, although that's entirely vegetarian.
I also said you were annoying redferry... Which I think is fair to say is probably true?
Reply 204
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Ultimately, I think you are mostly right on an ethics level.

He sees animals as our equals.

That is simply not practical, or morally sound.
Original post by JD1lla
He sees animals as our equals.

That is simply not practical, or morally sound.

Maybe replace 'mostly' 'sort of'. There is some sense in what he is saying though imo.
Reply 206
No, treating them as equals is morally flawed. They are not our equals? In what way is an animal equal to a human? Take for example, a coral. It is a Marine invertebrates which are multicellular animals.

Do you think that a coral, WHICH IS AN ANIMAL, is equal to a human being?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Coral_Outcrop_Flynn_Reef.jpg heres some coral
Reply 207
You think we are equal with corals.

Man I want some of that sh*t you've been smoking.

I didn't say it's morally flawed to care about something. I said it's morally flawed to treat animals, especially f**king CORAL?!!! as our EQUALS?! Are you insane? Are you actually batsh*t crazy? You want to tell me that parasitic worms that kill children are equal to humans?
(edited 8 years ago)
Really there are several levels of cruelty here, killing a (supposedly) protected, wild animal for fun, which is completely morally indefensible. vs killing a domestically bred animal grown expressly for food, to feed people. which is sort of ok because people have to eat.
at least that's the majority opinion.
Reply 209
See my edit!
Reply 210
Respect. I used to go deer hunting, this must be much better.
Reply 211
So killing a lamb and eating it is just as bad as killing a child?
Reply 212
I know deep down you don't truely feel like that. Practically nobody on Earth values the life of EVERY animal (including horrible parasites) equally to other human beings. Nobody actually believes that haha
It's definitely weird that people can kid themselves into believe that the shooting of a wild animal is somehow more heinous than the mass farming and slaughter of millions of animals so we can have a cheeky nandos with the lads.
Reply 214
Original post by Viva Emptiness
It's definitely weird that people can kid themselves into believe that the shooting of a wild animal is somehow more heinous than the mass farming and slaughter of millions of animals so we can have a cheeky nandos with the lads.

What's more heinous is this rock climber guy believes that all animals, including parasites are somehow equal to human beings..
Reply 215
Can you fall in love with an animal?
Original post by JD1lla
What's more heinous is this rock climber guy believes that all animals, including parasites are somehow equal to human beings..

Yeah, no. I'm not quite at that level...yet.
Reply 217
sorry but I can't let this go. in what ways are corals/parasites equal to humans
Original post by JD1lla

Why?

Does that offend you?
Reply 219
Why not? If they are our equals..they should have the ability to consent to such an idea, surely?

Latest